Jo'burg hill categorization / avg gradient %'s

dracs

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Comaro 2.9 km 5.8% average. 16% max when turn left up Pieter akroyd. Did a Everest up it... 53 reps

!

Edited by eddy

• 3 weeks later...

I couldn't find a way to share the ride- must be to do with my privacy settings.
Anyway, below is a screenclip with markups of a route I did recently. I avoided the comaro climb but had enough other climbs to more than make up for it.

post-51185-0-55114000-1537432348_thumb.png

edit: The hotspot hijackings map marker has been mostly cleared of foliage and clearvu installed, so it does seem to have made a difference with the reduced criminal reports.

edit 2: the name of the first/far left "short but steep climb" is SmartWolk Suicide Climb and the second/right "short but steep climb" is Oudeberg Street Climb - for those wanting to do strava segment searches.

Edited by Dirkitech

I couldn't find a way to share the ride- must be to do with my privacy settings.

Anyway, below is a screenclip with markups of a route I did recently. I avoided the comaro climb but had enough other climbs to more than make up for it.

attachicon.giftemp glenvista climbing map.png

edit: The hotspot hijackings map marker has been mostly cleared of foliage and clearvu installed, so it does seem to have made a difference with the reduced criminal reports.

Those hills gave me sleepless nights when I lived there... Chapeau sir!!

attachicon.giftemp glenvista climbing map.png

edit 2: the name of the first/far left "short but steep climb" is SmartWolk Suicide Climb and the second/right "short but steep climb" is Oudeberg Street Climb - for those wanting to do strava segment searches.

You need to include the Biggarsberg segment too. A little further west (left) on your map.

You need to include the Biggarsberg segment too. A little further west (left) on your map.

eina, it looks just as tough. I'll ride it as soon as I can get my groupset working again :clap:

My wife's roadie friends used to do a 5 hills training ride on road bikes.

1.Senior, Cliffview and Rockcliff - Northcliff then

2. Golf Club Terrace - Roodepoort

3. William Nicol - Roodepoort

4. Christaan de Wet - Roodepoort

5. Doreen - Roodepoort

I went along a few times. It was a very hard day for me blush.png

1./ OK

2./ Die by Crazy Drivers

3./ Die by Crazy Drivers, going as fast as they can around the bend

4. Die by Crazy Drivers driving like maniacs

5./ My GF even in her car got wiped out here by crazy drivers.

Anyone done Doreen road going up from Hendrik Potgieter towards Ontdekkers ? That is a pretty steep kicker. Definitely granny gear material.

I briefly recorded 11% for the steepest section, just before the bend.

• 4 months later...

I briefly recorded 11% for the steepest section, just before the bend.

Look at Strava track, kicks up to just under 20%

I hit biggersberg the other day - oh lawd have mercy it was a stinger 

The East Rand does not have much to offer . There is a hill in Meadowdale ( Edenvale /Germiston ) that starts at Fleming rd along Newton and finally up Essex . Its about 2km in length but not sure of elevation and gradient . . I've seen some guys walk it but a good 24 x 36/42 gets you up there at a about 12kph . We of course also have AG de Wit drive going up from Edenvale to Dawnview . I generally climb them each once a week depending on time of day i train . 

post-111826-0-22101700-1550221029_thumb.jpg

The East Rand does not have much to offer . There is a hill in Meadowdale ( Edenvale /Germiston ) that starts at Fleming rd along Newton and finally up Essex . Its about 2km in length but not sure of elevation and gradient . . I've seen some guys walk it but a good 24 x 36/42 gets you up there at a about 12kph . We of course also have AG de Wit drive going up from Edenvale to Dawnview . I generally climb them each once a week depending on time of day i train . 

Off topic but is it safe to ride there?  

During the week it's crazy with cars and trucks and on weekends, it's a ghost town.