Things I've learnt from commuting

zeabre

Good luck to all on the bikes this afternoon.  It is a killer day out here in Pretoria,  I just had a walk with a 5kg backpack in the sun and man it burns!

Will opt for the car tonight.  At least have the headache excuse and mild de-hydration to blame for not cycling home.

• Replies 4.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Good luck to all on the bikes this afternoon. It is a killer day out here in Pretoria, I just had a walk with a 5kg backpack in the sun and man it burns!

Will opt for the car tonight. At least have the headache excuse and mild de-hydration to blame for not cycling home.

Thanks for the warning,Im going to hit a detour through kk this afternoon as well.haven't seen you on the roads for a while!?

Thanks for the warning,Im going to hit a detour through kk this afternoon as well.haven't seen you on the roads for a while!?

Yeah.  Been under the weather.

Got everything ready for the afternoons commute.  Will see tomorrow if it is better and if I can get more water into this fat body of mine.

Soaked this morning into Cape Town. I really did question my sanity as I left the house; so did my partner, and the dogs and cats.

OK though.

Nice and cool...

Showers at work are brilliant.

Should have a nice following wind on my way home.

Soaked this morning into Cape Town. I really did question my sanity as I left the house; so did my partner, and the dogs and cats.

OK though.

Nice and cool...

Showers at work are brilliant.

Should have a nice following wind on my way home.

Respect to every Capie that rode to work this morning, it was really pouring in the Southern Suburbs. :thumbup:

Respect to every Capie that rode to work this morning, it was really pouring in the Southern Suburbs. :thumbup:

Cheers. :D

It wasn't too bad when I left but considerable around the Milnerton area and eased off into town about 0650.

Commuting in Joburg, on the other hand, is glorious at the moment. Not only because of the green but yet dry singletrack through the Spruit and the magnificent weather, but also from tomorrow hopefully maybe possibly a bit less traffic into Sandton. 

Also rode into work today over Tiekiedraai. 

Learnt a few lessons this morning:

1. Glasses are a must when cycling downhill into the wind with rain. was like tiny needles in my eyes.
  2. There is no such thing as a waterproof jacket.
  3. Wet feet are the most terrible feeling on a bicycle.

All that said and done, i cannot wait to ride home this afternoon again. :) 

Eye protection is important even in the dry. Ever been hit by a bee at 40km/h? It hurts. There's also all the other flying bits of wood with teeth and hairy legs, eleven pairs of wings etc.

Blechhh...

Yes, some hyperbole, but not much....

I think I've ingested a week's worth of protein via the insect world since Friday!

I rode home in the rain last night. WindGuru always seems a little optimistic with their rain predictions, but they were spot on with the awesome tailwind home ;)

Not quite tough enough to get soaked again within 12 hours though.

Why do I never see this when commuting?

http://41.media.tumblr.com/26f81f1cd82249e29fe8c8e4a5819f84/tumblr_nt7eu4ZZvN1qz7utco1_1280.jpg

Because you live in SA

Why do I never see this when commuting?

http://41.media.tumblr.com/26f81f1cd82249e29fe8c8e4a5819f84/tumblr_nt7eu4ZZvN1qz7utco1_1280.jpg

Look at that, no helmet! FFS man, when will we take safety seriously!

Think I will take the bike home tonight.  Might still be 30+ outside, but saw my reflection in a window today.  Oh the horror!

Also rode into work today over Tiekiedraai. 

Learnt a few lessons this morning:

1. Glasses are a must when cycling downhill into the wind with rain. was like tiny needles in my eyes.
  2. There is no such thing as a waterproof jacket.
  3. Wet feet are the most terrible feeling on a bicycle.

All that said and done, i cannot wait to ride home this afternoon again. :)

Also rode in from Tableview this morning and got properly wet!

1. Clear lens glasses for night and early morning rides!

2. Black Bag over your supposed to be waterproof jacket is the only option. But you'll sweat like a labourer in the desert if you're riding hard.

3. Couldn't find my overboots to keep the shoes semi dry so I've found a little trick that works a treat. Get 2 pairs of your thinnest socks out. Put on the better pair first. Grab a plastic packet and put your foot in it. Pull it tight and trim just above the sock line. Tuck that extra lip in. Put the 2nd pair on over the plastic and then into the shoes. Yep feet can't breathe as well as they normally do, but you won't get cold, wet feet on the ride which is the better trade off!

Edited by Tubehunter