Dirt roadies !!!

banna

FFS! You've got a strong stomach. Want a beer after that?

I'd say come on over for one, but dunno if you want to make the trek from the 'berg to the 'burg...

In this weather? Remember, the 'berg closes at 19h00, aandklokreel. Am looking forward to that beer now...and then Grootvlei tomorrow, it's flattish but should be good...

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

In this weather? Remember, the 'berg closes at 19h00, aandklokreel.

Yeah, just started p1ssing down here as well...

Amen brother! Amen, hahaha!

But yeah... to me (and that means personal opinion, so flame away) mountain biking isn't about lycra, shaved legs, 7kg bikes, body pumped full of carbo-gel-hyper-super-drink-bars, shaving 10sec off their 70km race times (races which mostly take place on district road)...

All that stuff is somewhat "dirt roadie" in my opinion...

If I had to explain mountain biking to someone with no preconceptions...

I'd say this vid portrays the spirit of mountain biking

OH.WOW>i could do stuff like that.

I actually support Sean on this one, he makes some very good points.

The biggest difference between a roadie and a mountain biker is the attitude towards a fellow rider eg. On the morning ride with the roadie bunch a guy punctures, many guys see this, nobody stops to help, You need to change the group you ride with, in our club anyone who needs help gets it he is left to change the tube in the dark by himself, same scenario while out mountain biking would result in every single person who rides past the punctured rider offering help, I have seen this on many occasions. How often do you ride road and with who!!!

I am so gatvol of the *** roadie attitude that is seen most of the time, is it so hard to greet a fellow cyclist ? It always seems that a training ride ends up being a pissing contest as to who is the strongest rider.

I know not all roadies are like this but there are certainly enough out there to deserve the bad name.

Flame away !

Road riding is normally about racing. That's what the sport entails, so of course it's a pissing contest. If you don't like it or aren't fast enough then by all means, find another discipline. But smugness is self serving and those roadies who have angered you really don't care.

It's amazing that road riders don't rant and rave about MTB. There are no "MTB riders suck" threads or lengthy monologues by magazine editors about how MTB riders venturing onto the road aren't embracing the spirit of the sport.

I have news for you, most roadies, myself included, are MTB riders too, embracing both competitive and social aspects of the sport.

You are not better, not magically cool and somehow superior, but, by all means, if it makes you feel better to think so then go for it.

Ray

Will not buy tread again.

My question is - why create divisions that don't exist in reality? There are an infinite amount skill, aims, intentions, motivations, goals and reasons for riding a mountain bike so why try and fit all mtbers into a category?

Me - I'm a dirt roadie at races, a mountain biker on my single speed and a dirty commuter.

I think Sean is either causing *** that doesn't need to be caused or trying to hype up mtb in the standard media hype tradition. What better way to improve sales than intone that only real, uber cool, styling mtbers read Tread mag? Silly I reckon.

+1

TWAK!

Sean is just looking for an excuse to be average.

I am a mountainbiker. Nothing else. I want to go fast because to me that is fun. I enter races and not rides. Yes, I do go "riding" with my wife on weekends for MORE fun.

To me a mtb'er is someone that:

1. Does no wear white.

2. Does no mind to get dirty. In fact he looks forward to it.

3. He does not bitch and moan like a girl if someone does not "hold his line". He HTFU's and overtakes the idiot for good!

4. He drinks beer. Not "whine".

5. He drives a truck.

you could not have said it better......

Didn't roadies originally start out as dirt roadies? :unsure:

Photos of the Vuelta a Colombia in the early 1960s, by Horacio Gil Ochoa.

http://www.milanofixed.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/11/Barranco.jpg

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-E47gHJEYkcQ/TqlnL0SOOhI/AAAAAAAAGiU/R2OjHSOfJx4/s1600/Barro.jpg

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-Dl4hqRGpzRM/Tqg-D_CNBEI/AAAAAAAAGhY/ZaZ5kHMNx6g/s1600/barrro.jpg

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-knMza7c-sbA/TqlllKlPhnI/AAAAAAAAGh8/dz5zQ22dQ_4/s1600/RubenDario.jpg

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-288yZVMs7i4/Tqg-BbX7meI/AAAAAAAAGhM/8KiD8-TPL60/s1600/masbarro.jpg

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-lKFdhGNaMRc/Tqg-GRz6XqI/AAAAAAAAGhk/rwwqqFsTQ3k/s1600/DobleUnion63.jpg

I actually support Sean on this one, he makes some very good points.

The biggest difference between a roadie and a mountain biker is the attitude towards a fellow rider eg. On the morning ride with the roadie bunch a guy punctures, many guys see this, nobody stops to help, he is left to change the tube in the dark by himself, same scenario while out mountain biking would result in every single person who rides past the punctured rider offering help, I have seen this on many occasions.

I am so gatvol of the *** roadie attitude that is seen most of the time, is it so hard to greet a fellow cyclist ? It always seems that a training ride ends up being a pissing contest as to who is the strongest rider.

I know not all roadies are like this but there are certainly enough out there to deserve the bad name.

Flame away !

Interesting comment. Riding this weekend i could mention that none of the MTB'ers i waved at, waved back. This morning some MTB'er decided that riding in the dark with no lights is a great idea and that red traffic lights only apply to other road users and not MTB'ers. So should i tar all of them with the same brush? They will have that attitude in the car, on a road bike, on a MTB.