Dirt roadies !!!

banna

I scheme the guy who is a box on the MTB is going to be a box on his road bike, in his car and even in his boat in his bathtub.

It is a personality thing. Some people are laid back, others not, and some are deuchebags.

Me, I love riding, wether it is in my baggies, in my lycra, on my hardtail, my SS, my roadbike or my jumpbike. I ride because I love it. I greet people because it is what I do. I'll stop to help you with a puncture, a tube or an energy bar. I'll also stop to help someone with a flat wheel on their car.

I reckon we as people are too inwardly focused. Life is not about me and me alone. We seriously need to start loving other people unconditionally.

Well said Mr P. :thumbup: I think most of us feel this way, but there's always a few a-holes who screws it up for the majority.

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Basically i decide whats cool, when im on mTb im cool and you roadie snobs suck the dogs bollocks, when im on my road bike you mtbikers are seriously uncool and not worthy of a greeting.

I scheme the guy who is a box on the MTB is going to be a box on his road bike, in his car and even in his boat in his bathtub.

It is a personality thing. Some people are laid back, others not, and some are deuchebags.

Me, I love riding, wether it is in my baggies, in my lycra, on my hardtail, my SS, my roadbike or my jumpbike. I ride because I love it. I greet people because it is what I do. I'll stop to help you with a puncture, a tube or an energy bar. I'll also stop to help someone with a flat wheel on their car.

I reckon we as people are too inwardly focused. Life is not about me and me alone. We seriously need to start loving other people unconditionally.

I'm sorry PhilipV, I can't love you unconditionally. You have too many bikes and that's built up my resentment.

Its the South African way, pigeon hole people so they conform and fit into an acceptable frame of reference.

What a load of bollox !

Its the South African way, pigeon hole people so they conform and fit into an acceptable frame of reference.

What a load of bollox !

I reckon you are a boxer ;)

Ah well , call me stoopid, I race 24 hour.

Here I agree.

Your final word, well that is where the problem lies, when on those days people over estimate their ability, put on their race face and forget the manners their mommy and daddy taught them.

Okay, on 24hr racing, you get my point, winning a 24hr race is cool, but for most they are there for fun, so if you take yourself too seriously during the event, you will probably be alone. But yes it is cool to race it, to win it, but as a mid fielder with a dodgy team? NA not worth the stress.

When you race and OVER ESTIMATE your ability, you should be sucking for air within the first few km. If you still persist with this stupidty, then it is best you stay off the route.

THe problem is that people take THEMSELVES too seriously. Hell, there are guys that enter races, come in half way down the field, and still have enough energy (after the race) to fight about who was wrong on the jeep track, and then post their rants on thehubsa for the next week. That is an insult to racing, and these people are not takig racing seriously, but rather taking themselves too seriously. (remember the whole idea in a race is to come first......or for the rest to do the BEST you can POSSIBLY do)

There is definitely more fun to be held out in the WILD. This is the fun side of the island, where racing is the Jersey side of the island.

My question is - why create divisions that don't exist in reality? There are an infinite amount skill, aims, intentions, motivations, goals and reasons for riding a mountain bike so why try and fit all mtbers into a category?

Me - I'm a dirt roadie at races, a mountain biker on my single speed and a dirty commuter.

I think Sean is either causing *** that doesn't need to be caused or trying to hype up mtb in the standard media hype tradition. What better way to improve sales than intone that only real, uber cool, styling mtbers read Tread mag? Silly I reckon.

I agree! We have enough against us as cyclists to start with. We don't need more division. Division just creates natural rivalry.

If some want to race and measure their performance then why shouldn't they be allowed to? I bet there are some of the "true mtb'ers" who measure everything and who have never owned a road bike.

THe problem is that people take THEMSELVES too seriously.

Oh yes, you are so right, at Spring Classic we had some A-bunch starters who took themselves way to serious, but 300 metres out the blocks they were holding half the field back.

Oh yes, you are so right, at Spring Classic we had some A-bunch starters who took themselves way to serious, but 300 metres out the blocks they were holding half the field back.

Dangle,

I love it when I meet a guy who takes a gun to a knife fight.

keep up the good work..........

I am a cyclist not an MTB rider or Roadie, but a cyclist.

Why is their always a split, their is more than enough space for both disciplines and although I am not nearly as quick on my mtb(technical skills are getting their) as my road bike I enjoy both. To me it is my sport so yes I have training programs and I am starting to get obsessed with watts but once a week I leave all my gadgets at home and just go and ride.

The main problem why and I can get flamed for this that road cycling has gotten smaller over the years is bike shops! Maintenance on a road bike is minimal so how did bike shops survive? Simple their were very few of them, once mountain biking started to grow the owners immediately started seeing that their is huge potential in rather punting mtb sales than roadbikes as his after sales margins would look better. Its not about safety and that roadies get hit more by cars etc. that is a myth and people believe it, I now what routes one can ride safely both mountain bike and road bike wise and I stick to them!

Cyclist FOREVER

So let me get this right, a GUY punctures and you want the whole group to stop and do what exactly? Get two guys to hold hands with him while someone else fixes his puncture?

Grow up!

Out of common courtesy when I see a fellow cyclist next to the road, I will ask if they need anything ... Pump, tube, levers whatever. If he is male, he can fix his own bloody puncture, I am not getting my white kit dirty while he looks on with arms and hands folded.

If it is a lady ... I will politely offer to fix the flat but I will not object if she insist on doing it herself... unless she is really hot!

No I wouldn't expect the whole group to wait, what would be common courtesy is for 2 or 3 riders to wait, I'm not talking about someone helping the guy change the tube, simply not being stuck in the dark by yourself becoming the next victim of a bike jacking or mugging i.e. safety in numbers. Just my 2c use it or don't

Dangle,

I love it when I meet a guy who takes a gun to a knife fight.

keep up the good work..........

Your sarcasm has been noted, but perhaps you would like to read all my comments in this thread :thumbup:

Each one for him/herself. Personally Im too scared to ride a bike on tar with cars. I feel much safer going 40 kmh on a dirt downhill.

I am a cyclist not an MTB rider or Roadie, but a cyclist.

It doesn't work like that, it's been tried and tested but it has sadly failed over the years.