Dirt roadies !!!

banna

Read this for the truth!

Are you really a mountain biker?

There’s an increasing number of people converting from road cycling to mountain biking. This is a good thing and not really surprising considering how little is being done to improve safety for cyclists on our roads (why did Cycling South Africa not focus on this before creating a week-long Tour of South Africa for a handful of pros?).

I call these converts dirt-roadies because even though they are riding a mountain bike, they’re not really mountain bikers – well not initially. Some of them graduate to being mountain bikers, but many just remain dirt-roadies – here’s why:

Mountain biking is first and foremost about fun and freedom. For a mountain biker, the purpose of every ride is a good time, not a fast time. Dirt-roadies are eternally fixated on speed or riding faster than someone else. To them, a fast time is a good time and they won’t start a ride without a gadget that will measure their physical performance on one or more levels.

Sure, there is a place in mountain biking for racing and performance measurement and we have the world-class pros and packed racing calendar to support this. But why should every ride become a race?

Mountain biking is also about the challenges of riding over varying terrain and natural obstacles like ruts, rocks, roots, steep climbs, sharp drops, long stony ascents or descents, switchback turns, river crossings, mud, thick sand, low branches etc. Dirt roadies feel justified in complaining about this. This is mountain biking, not club cricket. It’s meant to be challenging, unexpected, stimulating and sometimes scary… Mountain bikers embrace variation in terrain. Mountain bikers do not need kilometres and kilometres of man-made manicured trails and smooth singletrack to keep them smiling. Mountain bikers expect the unexpected.

Mountain biking is about enjoying the outdoors. And being the outdoors, this includes taking whatever the weather conditions and incorporating them in the experience. Mountain bikers do not complain about rain or heat or wind, they appreciate this is part of being outdoors. There is appropriate clothing for all weather conditions and choosing the right gear and consuming the appropriate nutrition goes a long way to improving the experience. It’s called planning ahead. Mountain bikers are good at planning ahead.

Like I said earlier, I welcome the conversion of road cyclists to mountain biking. I just want to see more conversions from dirt-roadie to mountain biker. It’s not difficult and actually leads to a far less stressful life. Promise.

Sean Badenhorst

Editor - Tread Magazine

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Then I dunno what I am. I'm a roadie by heart, train hard to be fast/good/etc.Fast times are important to me.

Mtb I do entirely for the fun of it. When in areas of great natural beauty (places I normaly won't get to), I stop, wonder at the beauty surrounding me, take photo's etc.

As a matter of fact, I finish most races more than an hour after the first guys in my start group. Not that I'm that slow, I just ride a Mtb, I don't race it.

My question is - why create divisions that don't exist in reality? There are an infinite amount skill, aims, intentions, motivations, goals and reasons for riding a mountain bike so why try and fit all mtbers into a category?

Me - I'm a dirt roadie at races, a mountain biker on my single speed and a dirty commuter.

I think Sean is either causing *** that doesn't need to be caused or trying to hype up mtb in the standard media hype tradition. What better way to improve sales than intone that only real, uber cool, styling mtbers read Tread mag? Silly I reckon.

TWAK!

Sean is just looking for an excuse to be average.

I am a mountainbiker. Nothing else. I want to go fast because to me that is fun. I enter races and not rides. Yes, I do go "riding" with my wife on weekends for MORE fun.

To me a mtb'er is someone that:

1. Does no wear white.

2. Does no mind to get dirty. In fact he looks forward to it.

3. He does not bitch and moan like a girl if someone does not "hold his line". He HTFU's and overtakes the idiot for good!

4. He drinks beer. Not "whine".

5. He drives a truck.

well i dont know about you.. but i'm just a cyclist.. with a passion for cycling.. be it mtbing road cycling. or commuting..

thats what i am.. sometimes i like to smell the roses... othertimes i dont even see them....

TWAK!

Sean is just looking for an excuse to be average.

I am a mountainbiker. Nothing else. I want to go fast because to me that is fun. I enter races and not rides. Yes, I do go "riding" with my wife on weekends for MORE fun.

To me a mtb'er is someone that:

1. Does no wear white.

2. Does no mind to get dirty. In fact he looks forward to it.

3. He does not bitch and moan like a girl if someone does not "hold his line". He HTFU's and overtakes the idiot for good!

4. He drinks beer. Not "whine".

5. He drives a truck.

Dammit, I knew I shouldn't have bought a Golf.

Read this for the truth!

Are you really a mountain biker?

There’s an increasing number of people converting from road cycling to mountain biking. A matter of opinion This is a good thing A matter of opinion and not really surprising A matter of opinion considering how little is being done to improve safety for cyclists on our roads (why did Cycling South Africa not focus on this before creating a week-long Tour of South Africa for a handful of pros?).

I call these converts dirt-roadies because even though they are riding a mountain bike, they’re not really mountain bikers – well not initially. Some of them graduate regress to being mountain bikers, but many just remain dirt-roadies – here’s why:

Mountain biking is first and foremost about fun and freedom. For a mountain biker, the purpose of every ride is a good time, not a fast time Then why are there MTB races? . Dirt-roadies are eternally fixated on speed or riding faster than someone else. To them, a fast time is a good time and they won’t start a ride without a gadget The GPS is to help everyone find their way home after they lost in the forest. Dirt roadies are considerate & helpful that will measure their physical performance on one or more levels.

Sure, there is a place in mountain biking for racing and performance measurement and we have the world-class pros and packed racing calendar to support this. But why should every ride become a race Dirt roadies have to get to Vida before the crowds arrive ?

Mountain biking is also about the challenges of riding over varying terrain and natural obstacles like ruts, rocks, roots, steep climbs, sharp drops, long stony ascents or descents, switchback turns, river crossings, mud, thick sand, low branches tricky to ride "over" low branchesetc. Dirt roadies feel justified in complaining about this. This is mountain biking, not club cricket. It’s meant to be challenging, unexpected, stimulating and sometimes scary…best done with a unicycle Mountain bikers embrace a matter of opinion variation in terrain. Mountain bikers do not need kilometres and kilometres of man-made manicured trails I think there was a thread the other day that did and smooth singletrack then why is there so much "track maintenance"? to keep them smiling. Mountain bikers expect the unexpected try being in the traffic on a road bike .

Mountain biking is about enjoying the outdoors of course, roadies don't go outdoors . And being the outdoors, this includes taking whatever the weather conditions and incorporating them in the experience a road bike on a wet, oily road is great fun. Mountain bikers do not complain about rain or heat or wind, they appreciate this is part of being outdoors. There is appropriate clothing for all weather conditions and choosing the right gear granny gear? and consuming the appropriate nutrition roadies don't eat properly, that's why they're skinnier goes a long way to improving the experience MTBers have musettes? . It’s called planning ahead. Mountain bikers are good at planning ahead.

Like I said earlier, I welcome the conversion of road cyclists to mountain biking. I just want to see more conversions from dirt-roadie to mountain biker. It’s not difficult and actually leads to a far less stressful life. Promise.

Sean Badenhorst

Editor - Tread Magazine

Biggest pile of **** I've read in a long time. Thank heavens I have never bought a tread magazine, and now I never will.

Imagine getting paid to sit at a desk and invent boxes to put cyclists into? Shame man. Sean, next month take the day off and go ride your bike.

This is a badly disguised "Mountain bikers are better than roadies" thread. I've got news - you get idiots and nice folks in all walks of life, in all sports, and in all variations within disciplines.

It is interesting, from a psychological point of view, that humans have a natural tendency towards grouping, stereotypng and bias.