Maxis Lust

chris_w_65

Yes they do suck but not for the reasons you have problems with.

A bit of soapy water will go a long way to help you make them seat. They work quite well in that way. However, I'm still to come across one that's nice and round. Also, they are prone to delamination. And finally, like all proper UST tyres, they are just too thick and juicy to get them off in the field in an emergency. Especially on some rims, like DT Swiss (can't remember the model that makes this combo really tough).

Have you ever tried to get them on and off a ZTR Crest? You need a crow bar.

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I see the Racing Ralf on CRC. Not the other, do you see another option, I may as well order at the same time if I get wheels.

The CRC Ralph is only in stock in the massive 2.4 version, it weighs about 650g, it is a bit overkill for me the 2.25 is plenty volume but only a bit lighter. Get 2 Ikons (front and back) from CWC or 1 Ikon and then look around for a Ralph in shops or get one here buy a Ralph.

Edited by Berg Bok

OK, so I learned my lesson good. While I was at Cajees buying the bike they asked me if they could do a tubeless conversion, it wasn't cheap but it turns out they used a cheap kit. When I eventually managed to seat the tyre at the garage there was sealant coming out the base of the valve, the spoke holes and the rim join. Now with the Stans kit it is very easy to pump with a compressor and even possible with a floor pump and there are no leaks at all right from the word go

Ja sometimes i sitz and wonders if tubeless is really worth the hassle, luckily you dont need to change tyres to often.

<_<

hi guys i bought standard tubes that were a size smaller than the rim,fitted the tube around the rim,pumped it up and then cut the tube with a scissor down the middle along the seam, fitted my tubeless tyres over the cut tube with a bit of sealant and pumped the tyre up with a foot pump,perfect seal and no leaks,it works better than the kits you buy and cheaper. when you done you just cut the excess tube hanging over the sides with a blade.

And yes, they do suck. Wear too quickly in the middle :thumbdown:

Useful comment.

Actually, the Maxxis UST tyres seat almost easier than any other. If they seat easily on an XT rim they'll seat easily on a stans converted rim too. Try a conti RK for comparison purposes...

Edited by Headshot

I had no problem seating my monorail LUST's on an XT rim with a crappy floor pump. No soapy water or anything. What I do is try and manipulate the beading to the side of the the rim and give it a couple of vigourous pumps.

However, from the postings i have seen here and in other threads, the XT rim is particularly trouble free when it comes to seating UST tyres.

It you have the right rims, use Stans (or other) Rim Tape and Valve inserts and forget about that silly 'conversion' kit, its not needed.

You bunch of limp wristed, tree hugging, bunny cuddling, gravel road riding, de-caff coffee drinking pansies ....

I bought a set of 2.25 Maxxiss Ardents for the circus bike and mounted them easily enough with a floor pump at home (Liberal use of soapy water always a good idea when mounting tubeless tyres) .... and they are fitting nice and snuggly on my Bontranger Rhythm Elite rims.

You bunch of limp wristed, tree hugging, bunny cuddling, gravel road riding, de-caff coffee drinking pansies ....

I bought a set of 2.25 Maxxiss Ardents for the circus bike and mounted them easily enough with a floor pump at home (Liberal use of soapy water always a good idea when mounting tubeless tyres) .... and they are fitting nice and snuggly on my Bontranger Rhythm Elite rims.

He he he he.

Recently I discovered the genius that is soapy water... I mix Sunlight and Water 50/50 then dip thumb and forfinger into soapy mix and run along the bead of the tyre. Timing is a bit tricky but if you leave it until it's partially dry you seat the tyre like a dream - it "sticks" the bead to the rim nicely and the soapy mix acts as a wee sealant.

I recently seated a Schwalbe Rocket Ron and a Ritchey WCS Shield onto some American Classic rims without losing a single drop of sealant.

My other tubeless discovery was the Batseal Kit. I've always hated using rims strips like Joe's because they bend, fold, stick, tear etc. With Batseal you pop on a pliable plastic rims tape and valve and voile - a tubeless rim you can use reuse and reuse.

Try it - you'll like it :)

He he he he.

Recently I discovered the genius that is soapy water... I mix Sunlight and Water 50/50 then dip thumb and forfinger into soapy mix and run along the bead of the tyre. Timing is a bit tricky but if you leave it until it's partially dry you seat the tyre like a dream - it "sticks" the bead to the rim nicely and the soapy mix acts as a wee sealant.

I recently seated a Schwalbe Rocket Ron and a Ritchey WCS Shield onto some American Classic rims without losing a single drop of sealant.

My other tubeless discovery was the Batseal Kit. I've always hated using rims strips like Joe's because they bend, fold, stick, tear etc. With Batseal you pop on a pliable plastic rims tape and valve and voile - a tubeless rim you can use reuse and reuse.

Try it - you'll like it :)

I will take a look at the batseal strip. The bonti strip is also plastic and it works a treat.

Here is a further advancement on the soapy water solution trick .... use a paint brush to foam up the solution and then use the paintbrush to apply along the rim/tyre bead interface ... it lubes it well and you have a clean set of rims afterwards too :)

Anyone know where I can get the batseal rim strips for a 29'er in CT please?

cwcycles or buycycle should have stock.

Failing that contact the guys at www.bicicletta.co.za

@bigben - not sure what colour the 26er is - for 29ers the strip is blue - comes in a red and white batseal box that has two strips, two valves and a bottle of goo. Works a treat.

I will take a look at the batseal strip. The bonti strip is also plastic and it works a treat.

I've heard good things about the Bonti too - I just prefer the local is lekker element of the Batseal kit.

Lube Man :clap:

Re seated mine this week end Maxxis LUST after not seating properly the first time. Just deflated the tires, unglued everything and spread some good old sunlight liquid on the beading. Inflated with a floor pump to 5 bar and they seated perfectly and no sudden noises jump your resting heart rate :clap: