Top end disc brakes - what to buy?

Caltrigger

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If you are building a scalpel you are building a nice XC/Marathon bike. In XC races you rarely need to honk the brakes full ball, you just scrub a bit of speed off here and there. If you even go down a hill to the point where you might fly off the side of the cliff, you were 1) going too fast anyway, or 2) you lack handling skills. To summarize, I could easily loose 20-30% of my braking power and still have enough to keep the bike in check. So ja, get any nice/light brake that you can afford, no need to go overkill. I'd make weight vs price the limiting factor, not the bling factor.

When I said not Avids I mean the new ones, Ellixer(i think dont know the spelling) XX and so. The older avids are not bad, but they are old, you dont want a new bike with old brakes (even though they work perfectly).

Edited by koukie

Formula R1 :thumbup: I have Formula RX on my bike and they are very close,just cheaper but not as light.

Am I understanding you correctly, you are saying the the Hygia's are similar in feel to the Formula RX but just a little heavier?

Been running Avid Juicy Ultimates on my race bike for years. Not a day of problems.

Same story here. Not a single problem with my avids.

I've had juicy 5 and still have ultimates and i actualy prefer the feel of avid over shimano

Ill definately go look at maguras. I use the Marta Raceline and everytime these brakes exceeds my expectations

My 2c. Don't just forget Maguras

Can't comment on the 5's and 3's but the XX and CR models are not great

A.They are a beeeeatch to bleed(but maybe that is just me)

B.They use Dot5 fluid which chows up internals(little rubber o-rings)

C.They modulate and have the stopping power of cheaper sets...kinda like rip and grip stuff

What do you mean "they modulate"? Decent modulation is what you want from a disc brake. Good modulation is where there is a progressive difference in stopping power the harder you pull the lever. Most DB's have good modulation these days.

Personally, I'd go with the Formulas. Elegant. But nothing wrong with the Avids. Never had an o-ring eaten by the fluid (same concept as car brakes, which last for ages) and bleeding is just systematic. Follow the instructions and it's easy. I find the Formula brakes more of a pain to bleed actually.

Edited by FSA

I have the avid juicy ultimates and they work fine.

If I was buying new brakes I would get the Formula R1's but I was reading the other day that there are now the Formula Ovals or something like that. Maybe wait a while for those to come out.

Am I understanding you correctly, you are saying the the Hygia's are similar in feel to the Formula RX but just a little heavier?

My apolagies,did not intend to quote.Was merely making a statement on the Formula brakes not on the Hygia. :blush:

I'm running XX on a flash and when it gets wet, they screech, when you need to break hard, they screech.

For the price they are, I feel they sacrificed too much in order to get the weight down.

Most people i know of change their XX brakes to R1's before use and then just sell the XX's.

Common that Scalpel deserves something special

http://www.ukbikestore.co.uk/product_images/Medium/RX2F;Warehouse;Warehouse.jpg

Something very nice would be the Hope Race x2

Complete Set - 267g with the 160mm 3 Bolt Rotor

Complete Set - 284g with 160mm 6 bolt Lightweight Floating Rotor

I have these and I find them light, silent and powerful, a bit pricey though

No comments on the Hygia SLP? I havent used them but I hear they are decent

I know they are not top end, but it would bve good to get some feedback on them

Ran the SLP's for a couple of months on my 29er... was not happy with them at all!!! Not sure if i had a dud set, but had half the braking power of my old Deore brakes (which I have now gone back to), with a VERY spongey feel (even after bleeding!) Just got hold of a set of Formula RX, but if I had a choice, the only brakes I would ever use are the Formula R1 (no you CANNOT put Hygia anywhere near to the same league!!!)

Formula R1 is the bomb! the best feeling brake out right now.

The avids just dont work very nicely.

Shimano XTR are also very good.

Just built up a Sworks epic 29er for a customer and he swopped out the XX WC brakeset for the R1s.