Tokai Signage

Beattbox

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Eggzakkery. No entry means: finad another way back up, which there is, and it's clearly marked as such (aka: detour).

Truth be told, I think this signage will be ignored. Maybe that's what defines "aggressive" trail riding? Still at least there are no excuses now.

To Dawie above who reckons it will be burnt...ummm no, it won't. Tokai is a closed reserve pal. Plus there is PLENTY of firewood to zik if the need should arise, especially with the tree felling going on there at the mo. But nice try for a lekker stir. Back to your braai now.

Yeah well most downhillers ive seen in tokai push up the downhill track so I dont think thats going to change soon, especially if you want to session the 3 jumps on the left like everyone does now and then. I totally agree with the no riding up rule though its just a silly thing to do.

Wish I knew Tokai better so I could know where this is. Have ridden up a few of the trails there, but they didn't seem like downhill specific trails..

It was long overdue.

There will be one more larger sign installed at the last point of entry into this section. It is only for the small percentage of guys who cannot make sense of safety. Despite all warnings, something prevents them from seeing the danger of riding singletrack into a blind corner on a steep down... like the guys who laughed at me for not having helmets saying, I quote.. "Helmets are only for beginners." No sense at all!

If the sign is ignored or not seen, it justifies making the offending rider aware, something that has not been possible up to now.. If they choose to be bold in their response, well then at least I cannot be held responsible for what follows...

How many uphill rideable single tracks are going to become out of bounds for XC riders?

Very few.. No entry will be installed at places of potential conflict. All the DH tracks will be uni-directional, they are already since Tokai subscribes to the IMBA trail classification of any trails marked as "downhill" are one way.

"Ruins" will see one more no entry sign. There is a blind corner that does not allow descending riders to see potential conflict ahead, nor does it offer the climbing rider any chance to move quickly since the corner is on a steep climb. A divert is planned to not lose the flexibility of the trail..

How many uphill rideable single tracks are going to become out of bounds for XC riders?

Only the berm and root steps (where this sign is). Because everybody loves to come around a fast blind corner where there is little to no braking or avoidance room just to see a head down, iPod listening rider coming the other way. There are one or two other places on the mountain that have semi blind entries as well. Use your discretion like you would in your car.

Who do I contact, I would like help out with the trail building .

Pain or Shine above.

• 7 months later...

I had to awaken this thread. I havent riden Tokai since the beginning of the year.So yesterday am there at 7h30. I head towards the bridal. As I pass Mamba and take the bend where you can see the entire Bridal path, I stop. Sheer chaos. Loads of people going down, and a fair amount of people going up, I think to myself stuff that I turn around take the mamba down, lekker I am alone on the trail, take the road gap into boomslang, but there are people chillin in the intersection, I slow down, and they move and I flow down the steep embankment into Boomslang building momentum again and there are people coming up, no problems where give way for each other. I head over to vasybyt and here things get terrible, as there are hoards of people coming up. One or two of them were actually upset that I was heading down. I couldnt have been bothered with them as I was too busy enjoying my ride. One thing is for certain, Tokai needs to become a circuit type trail, one way up and one way down. I have been riding there for about 9 years and have never encountered such chaos. Things need to change fast, I have alreadt made up my mind to stop going there, as there are other options around the cape within a 40 min drive.

Its a never ending story. I had to stop for a girl riding up the new dh track, just below the hip jump. Its a fairly blind jump and if the person coming up is short you might not see them untill you are in the air, at which point its way too late to do anything

On the other hand the dh track is the only one way trail there, so just try and avoid the masses on the rest. Can't get to uptight, after all it was a beautiful morning up there yesterday!

yeah exactly, hence why i just didnt bother with the clowns that got upset. There are just too many people up there, and other places around town are just empty and at least R10 less.

The wood from the signs will warm a shack nicely in the winter.

Thank God I don't live up north. There are no shacks in the vicinity of Tokai, us Capies are larny.

I had to awaken this thread. I havent riden Tokai since the beginning of the year.So yesterday am there at 7h30. I head towards the bridal. As I pass Mamba and take the bend where you can see the entire Bridal path, I stop. Sheer chaos. Loads of people going down, and a fair amount of people going up, I think to myself stuff that I turn around take the mamba down, lekker I am alone on the trail, take the road gap into boomslang, but there are people chillin in the intersection, I slow down, and they move and I flow down the steep embankment into Boomslang building momentum again and there are people coming up, no problems where give way for each other. I head over to vasybyt and here things get terrible, as there are hoards of people coming up. One or two of them were actually upset that I was heading down. I couldnt have been bothered with them as I was too busy enjoying my ride. One thing is for certain, Tokai needs to become a circuit type trail, one way up and one way down. I have been riding there for about 9 years and have never encountered such chaos. Things need to change fast, I have alreadt made up my mind to stop going there, as there are other options around the cape within a 40 min drive.

I agree, i try never to go to Tokai on weekends much nicer during the week if you can go before work, weekends are way to busy nowadays its sad but thats what happens when MTb became the new golf.

I agree, i try never to go to Tokai on weekends much nicer during the week if you can go before work, weekends are way to busy nowadays its sad but thats what happens when MTb became the new golf.

After midday on Sunday it's no longer "the new golf" in Tokai. Then it's dead quiet with the hordes all leg sore and at home and you can have the place almost to yourself, together with a few other hardcore riders. (Oh my gosh, what have I done?! Given the secret away, I think.)