Cricket......

E1A104

Funny tweet from cricinfo's

Geoff: "Is it just me or is Philander seriously annoying with the bat? Anyone who averages 18 with the ball should at least have the decency to be a complete bunny."

well he's not averaging 18 with the ball in this series, so ja bat on Vern!

I do like the way Faf has got a Cellc sticker on his bat, Vern has, wait for it.....

...JIVE

At this rate they'll enforce the follow on and they won't even need to bat again.

Best we can hope for now is rain or a draw.

No rain coming.

Also don't think Clarke will EVER enforce a follow-on.

this might even be the last time they did

http://www.espncricinfo.com/ci/engine/current/match/63920.html

• Replies 11.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Got to love test cricket. There is always a game within the game. 50 runs to avoid the follow on. 3 wickets to get. New ball due in 10 overs... Vern, Abbot, Steyn and Morkel are not the worst lower order in world cricket.

Do Vern farm the strike and try and keep the fasties out or does he swing at a few to see if we can get to the 294 before the new ball is due...

Can Abbott keep an end up?

Dunno much about his batting skills.

Edited by ' Dale

"Standing ovation at Newlands as the injured Dale Steyn walks out. And he is walking fine. He won't get a runner"

Peter: "Before all us Aussies get stuck into Graeme Smith, we should recognise that this is Smith 108th test as captain and opening the batting, scoring 8535 runs at an average of 48.5, with 25 centuries. The next highest? Mike Atherton opened in only 54 tests (half of Smith), scoring 3815 at an average of 40, with 8 centuries. A Strauss and M Taylor are the only other players to have captained and opened in 50 tests, both averaging about 40, with 9 and 7 centuries respectively. Other great captains opening the innings include Gavaskar (46 tests, avg 50, 11 100s), Gooch (32 tests, avg 58, 10 100's) and Bob Simpson (28 tests, avg 61, 8 centuries) He's struggling this series, but he's been the best captain opening the batting in Test cricket by a LONG LONG way. "

Cricinfo

The achievements relating to number of test, especially those as captain is more an indication of the views of the selectors and the availability of other players suitable to be captain. I don't think that should be a measure to say he is better than GG or Tubbs. Compare %of innings converted into centuries and averages by all means.

Captaincy can be measured by %tests won but is influenced by the quality players you have in the team so tricky to objectively say Biff is a good/mediocre/poor captain.

Its a sad day for SA cricket to lose such a fighter and character in the SA setup. I suppose it is one thing fighting overseas media and be competitive both at home and overseas, but when you have to "prove" yourself to local "supporters" every time you go out to play for your country, even with over 100 games behind you and an average touching 50 you probably get to a point where you'd say that its not really worth it anymore.

All the best Graeme. Not many people would have lead their country at 21 years of age and no one would have done it better for such a prolonged period. I hope that Surrey treat you better than what South African fans did.

OK enough sentiment. Now for the big question... Who will replace him?

Alviro - is probably on "strike 2" with his own form. Replacing one out of form player as captain with another is a bad idea, although it would make a bit of political sense.

Elgar - not a regular in the side

Amla - didn't want the job before, I wonder if they would be able to tempt (read con) him into it?

AB - the natural choice, but then they will have to look at QdK to keep to free AB up a bit

Faf - I like his energy, but the ball tampering incident has put a serious question mark against his integrity IMO

Vern - Imagine having a captain just looking at his fielders to get them into the right position. Cause that's how the Vern rolls.

Dale - imagine having 3 slips, 2 gullies and a leg slip...

Its a sad day for SA cricket to lose such a fighter and character in the SA setup. I suppose it is one thing fighting overseas media and be competitive both at home and overseas, but when you have to "prove" yourself to local "supporters" every time you go out to play for your country, even with over 100 games behind you and an average touching 50 you probably get to a point where you'd say that its not really worth it anymore.

All the best Graeme. Not many people would have lead their country at 21 years of age and no one would have done it better for such a prolonged period. I hope that Surrey treat you better than what South African fans did.

Very Sad news

I am not a Smith fan, but his stats do say he is a better player than most make him out to be. I reckon though that he was a very good captain. Expect to see SA drop to number 3 in the test rankings very soon. I don't see anyone around that will help steady the ship. AB is not a very good captain. To be honest, things do not look good at the moment for SA cricket.

Wow big news, came up on #politeenquiries but once again biff surprises everyone with his timing.

He'll get a guard of honour, but no favours from mitch and Co.