Cricket......

E1A104

Our watered-down 4 day competition is being badly exposed when we play quality sides like this current England side. 20

Years ago we would have known who was up and coming and we would have been able to send someone that is out of form back to his province to regain confidence and form.

PS: the Graham Smith haters are probably hating him much less right now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

• Replies 11.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Besides the obvious batting issues, we were also a few bowlers short. Morkel and Maharaj played well. Big Vern just looked overweight and battled with fitness. Rabada was disappointing and Olivier was all over the place.

didn't watch but that seriously irritates me. When a pro sportsman is out of shape. I mean wtf else do they have to do other than train?

I saw a TV insert where the squad had there own chef, catering facilities etc. And Big Vern gets a tummy bug?

I saw a TV insert where the squad had there own chef, catering facilities etc. And Big Vern gets a tummy bug?

You dont get the lurgi from your food.You get it from a dirty handrail for eg that someone has touched after sticking his finger up his bum

You dont get the lurgi from your food.You get it from a dirty handrail for eg that someone has touched after sticking his finger up his bum

So the problem lies with the chef that makes finger licking good food..... :ph34r: 

I think you're right -  we have a real problem on our hands in terms of extended test squad. For a while the franchise system was extended and it really did get watered down, but now it's been back to six teams for a while and it should really be strength vs strength. We have had quite a few top performers (philander/de lange/Abbot) come straight into the test team normally due to injuries with success - sure more bowlers but the top batsmen are facing these guys to get their runs. In this series we got Duanne Olivier coming in as the top wicket taker (52 wickets in 8 games @ 18) - http://stats.espncricinfo.com/ci/engine/records/bowling/most_wickets_career.html?id=11137;type=tournament and Tewis De Bruin coming in as 3rd highest run scorer 750 runs @ 57 both from the Knights who won overall. Do they look like they will make the step up to test cricket?  http://stats.espncricinfo.com/ci/engine/records/batting/most_runs_career.html?id=11137;type=tournament

I think the problem is more due to incentive which is essentially beyond our control. The only way to get into the test team is performance at Sunfoil series level. But many guys are picking Kolpak or focussing on T20 instead. 

Here is a test team of current kolpak players, all of whom (except for Ackerman - who was leading run scorer in the SS last season) have played cricket for the proteas.

rilee rossouw

richard levi

stiaan van zyl

colin ackerman

coling ingram

daryn smit

dane vilas(wk)

dawid wiese

simon harmer

kyle abbot

marchant de lange

hardus viljoen(12th man)

Our watered-down 4 day competition is being badly exposed when we play quality sides like this current England side. 20
Years ago we would have known who was up and coming and we would have been able to send someone that is out of form back to his province to regain confidence and form.
PS: the Graham Smith haters are probably hating him much less right now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

really funny how under appreciated he is in his own country. We will miss him BIG time.

nah i dont agree with the Vern critics, he has never ever been the fittest guy in the team. If he was really that unfit why even play him??? 

He did well when he played (pity about the bug) and was backed up decently by Morkel and Rabada.

I see faf has hit out at Vern? Really rely on him to win you every match? maybe the top order need to also contribute once in a while, this is where the real issues lie. All fails if Amla fails it seems.

Gusty shows from elgar and bavuma but the rest gifted wickets away far too often. Mckenzie has to go! 

overall we were klap'd good and solid. 

nah i dont agree with the Vern critics, he has never ever been the fittest guy in the team. If he was really that unfit why even play him??? 

He did well when he played (pity about the bug) and was backed up decently by Morkel and Rabada.

I see faf has hit out at Vern? Really rely on him to win you every match? maybe the top order need to also contribute once in a while, this is where the real issues lie. All fails if Amla fails it seems.

Gusty shows from elgar and bavuma but the rest gifted wickets away far too often. Mckenzie has to go! 

overall we were klap'd good and solid. 

Is he the batting coach??

That explains a lot

Is he the batting coach??

That explains a lot

yep AFAIK, with Langeveldt the bowling coach 

• 2 weeks later...