The magic test to ensure a sub-3 94.7

rudi-h

Attached is a spreadsheet that will allow you to compare two races (last 12 months, 2015-2016) against a target time (Mostly GP based, and the two KZN races) for any of the other races.

In the example:

• Assume you want to target the 947, in 2:45:00.
  • You can then pick last year's race to get a guide on the time for each group, and also compare it against other events you've done.

attachicon.gifRace times per group.zip

FWIW - hope it helps.

Disclaimer - the winning time for each group was used, except where it's possible the person may have turn short. In this case, the most reasonable time for that group was taken.

Your spreadsheet doesn't like my linux box, I'll have to find a windows machine to check it out but from what I can see it looks awesome, thanks.

I don't think I'm sub 3 hour material just yet, would be very stoked with a sub 3:30, thinking maybe I can get close to 3:15, did a comfortable 3:29 at Satellite. 

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I think my sub-3 dreams are pie in the sky.

Well, things were fairly on track until the last few weeks of hectic work, wrapping up an old job, starting a new job, taking leave to see family (no riding at all), and an entire weekend on the lash with mates...

Riding Carnival City this weekend, so we'll see what the damage is.

You know it's the weekend of 5 November and not this coming weekend right?

Your spreadsheet doesn't like my linux box, I'll have to find a windows machine to check it out but from what I can see it looks awesome, thanks.

I don't think I'm sub 3 hour material just yet, would be very stoked with a sub 3:30, thinking maybe I can get close to 3:15, did a comfortable 3:29 at Satellite.

If you don't come right, I can send the split times for 3:00, 3:15 and 3:30 in their own table

HI Nordicelf

3h15 is also good going at 94.7 and not that easy to achieve, if you did 3h29 at sattelite you should be good for 3h15.

My worry is if I did 3h18 at sattelite im gonna end with 3h04 at 94.7... that will be heartbreaking:( 

Well, he had me checking the dates on Carnival's website. hehe

Craai, you LEGEND.

Thanks man, you just saved me a HUGE embarrassment...wahaaa, i'm such a chop.

HI Nordicelf

3h15 is also good going at 94.7 and not that easy to achieve, if you did 3h29 at sattelite you should be good for 3h15.

My worry is if I did 3h18 at sattelite im gonna end with 3h04 at 94.7... that will be heartbreaking:( 

Danie, if you can do 3h04, you can do 2h59 - that's so close, you'll just have to vasbyt at the end there!

Danie, if you can do 3h04, you can do 2h59 - that's so close, you'll just have to vasbyt at the end there!

A mate of mine did 3:00:25 +/-3 years ago, he was in the shape of his life but had to have a quick stop to retighten his QR (don't ask why....). He's never got close to that since. Don't be that guy/woman!

A mate of mine did 3:00:25 +/-3 years ago, he was in the shape of his life but had to have a quick stop to retighten his QR (don't ask why....). He's never got close to that since. Don't be that guy/woman!

I did 3:00:31 at Emperor's this year... thought I was miles off so hung back with a friend but then I realised my calculations were wrong and it was on the cards, hammered it but a little too late! 

I did 3:00:31 at Emperor's this year... thought I was miles off so hung back with a friend but then I realised my calculations were wrong and it was on the cards, hammered it but a little too late! 

Correction: You rode Emporors in Sub 3.

You did it in 2:59:91

And with the new bits of this year's 947, the sense of pacing uncertainty will continue.....

And with the new bits of this year's 947, the sense of pacing uncertainty will continue.....

So need a little extra padding.

Although I've noticed a lot of races seem to be short. But I won't make that assumption on 947. 

Although I've noticed a lot of races seem to be short. But I won't make that assumption on 947. 

whatever the distance, those last 15km will still be the decider ... [well for me atleast]

Those last few kms felt anything but short to me! More like a black hole where time dilated and minutes felt like hours....

But I'd agree, probably better to try and be a little ahead of 'schedule' at the bottom of Witkoppen and then explore time dilation..... :huh:

I'm just going to ride as hard as I can for as long as I can, make sure I put the effort in to get/stay in a group. And then hang on for dear life at the end. Which means I might get a good time or a really bad time! Been far too conservative last couple of races, finishing for too fresh. I want to leave it all out on the road at 947. 

I'm just going to ride as hard as I can for as long as I can, make sure I put the effort in to get/stay in a group. And then hang on for dear life at the end. Which means I might get a good time or a really bad time! Been far too conservative last couple of races, finishing for too fresh. I want to leave it all out on the road at 947.

Try and start at the front of your batch and stick with the pointy end. If your seeding is at all correct for you, it should leave you pretty exhausted by the end.