The magic test to ensure a sub-3 94.7

rudi-h

I take comfort in knowing I will never sub 3 the 94.7 because I climb like a sprinter. My legs go wonky on gradients of 5% and above. I'm 83kg. Lean muscles, 281w ftp but I just can't climb.

Sub 3'd all the other flattish races including Tour Durban because my strength is in the flats.

Sent from my SM-N910C using Tapatalk

Only one thing to say...Suikerbos Rand !

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Well of course it is........

attachicon.gifT947CCRouteProfile.jpg

......but do you have a test to suggest for the OP?

Where is there a climb that takes a serious rider more then 15 minutes in this route?

Its short hill's, drags it suits a power rider explosive types. Past winners pure climbers like Malcolm Lange Arran Brown , Robert Hunter I rest my case.

Where is there a climb that takes a serious rider more then 15 minutes in this route?

Its short hill's, drags it suits a power rider explosive types. Past winners pure climbers like Malcolm Lange Arran Brown , Robert Hunter I rest my case.

Similar, but not as flat as Argus then.......

My tips are - 

1. Stay in the bunch for as long as you can.
  2. Don't burn too many matches at the beginning.
  3. Hydrate, eat.
  4. Stay in the top 1/3 of the batch.
  5. Learn to descend. First into the corner.

Best of luck!

Attached is a spreadsheet that will allow you to compare two races (last 12 months, 2015-2016) against a target time (Mostly GP based, and the two KZN races) for any of the other races.

In the example:

• Assume you want to target the 947, in 2:45:00.
  • You can then pick last year's race to get a guide on the time for each group, and also compare it against other events you've done.

Race times per group.zip

FWIW - hope it helps.

Disclaimer - the winning time for each group was used, except where it's possible the person may have turn short. In this case, the most reasonable time for that group was taken.

nobody likes a show-off... :P 

:eek:  Can't even imagine the power output that took.... :thumbup: 

Wasn't racing for a time. Was racing licensed vets and the time is just a result of getting into the break group near Teazers :ph34r:. Then being dropped going up Main Rd (near what is now PWC bike park). Recovering and joined a couple of guys going up around the zoo. Finding a tandem there which pulled me all the way down to Kyalami so fast we nearly caught the breakgroup. Finished at 8h30 - it was still a bit chilly.  :w00t:

It's all in the training dude. At 85kgs I did a sub 2:30 back in the day when it was a harder race than it is today.

nobody likes a show-off... :P 

:eek:  Can't even imagine the power output that took.... :thumbup: 

Wasn't racing for a time. Was racing licensed vets and the time is just a result of getting into the break group near Teazers :ph34r:. Then being dropped going up Main Rd (near what is now PWC bike park). Recovering and joined a couple of guys going up around the zoo. Finding a tandem there which pulled me all the way down to Kyalami so fast we nearly caught the breakgroup. Finished at 8h30 - it was still a bit chilly.  :w00t:

A PB is a PB, no matter the conditions, or distance.

I have to agree that the older routes were a bit more challenging, or maybe it because the level of fitness is improved.

It's all in the training dude. At 85kgs I did a sub 2:30 back in the day when it was a harder race than it is today.

Was it really that much harder back in the day? Looking at the results on racetec, 2000 was a slow year but since 2001, 2014 has the slowest winning time and 2015 is the third slowest winning time. I was under the impression that the general consensus was that the sting in the tail that is the Steyn city finish (since 2014) has made it harder than the past?

Was it really that much harder back in the day? Looking at the results on racetec, 2000 was a slow year but since 2001, 2014 has the slowest winning time and 2015 is the third slowest winning time. I was under the impression that the general consensus was that the sting in the tail that is the Steyn city finish (since 2014) has made it harder than the past?

for the racing categories it won't make much difference, as the climbs are not difficult. It's the average Joe that one needs to look at.

for the racing categories it won't make much difference, as the climbs are not difficult. It's the average Joe that one needs to look at.

Aha. I see.

I can just imagine the poor guy coming in at 3h00:02, i was lucky enough to get a 2h59:59 in the 2012 cycle challenge:)

My 2014 time was 3hoo,21 i thought we were finished at the bottom of the last climb to the actual finish and relaxed .

I can just imagine the poor guy coming in at 3h00:02, i was lucky enough to get a 2h59:59 in the 2012 cycle challenge:)

LOL... that's close

The last 947 i did (2007) i came in 2'59"35.2

I sweated those last 20 km's

Started in PP on a loner bicycle... that's my excuse anyway

post-182-0-24199600-1476208584_thumb.png

• 2 weeks later...

So every year numerous hubbers ask how they will do in the 94.7 based on times in recent events like OFM, Dome2Dome etc. If you live in Joburg I have the answer to a sub-3 94.7 (given that you don't get punctures)

For the last 2 years I have gone to Suikerbosrand the week before 94.7. Both times I have ridden the loop solo as hard as I could. The results:

Last year:

Suikerbosrand loop: 2h17

94.7 time starting in G: 3h01 (with a puncture in the first km. So for comparison details it is more like 2:57 starting in H - It took me very close to 4 min on the dot to fix the puncture. I know this because i just managed to catch the front of H after replacing the tube.

This year:

Suikerbosrand loop: 2h18

97.4 time starting in D: 2h50

So here's the magic formula. If you can do the suikerbosrand loop under 2:20 and you start in G or under without any punctures, then you will according to the rudi-h magic formula ride a sub 3h 94.7.

That's my bit of useless information for the day.

Re-calculate in case you get 2 punctures  :ph34r:

I think my sub-3 dreams are pie in the sky.

Well, things were fairly on track until the last few weeks of hectic work, wrapping up an old job, starting a new job, taking leave to see family (no riding at all), and an entire weekend on the lash with mates...

Riding Carnival City this weekend, so we'll see what the damage is.