The magic test to ensure a sub-3 94.7

rudi-h

Try and start at the front of your batch and stick with the pointy end. If your seeding is at all correct for you, it should leave you pretty exhausted by the end.

Yeah good idea... not sure about my seeding. I take a while to warm up, probably more important to start at the front.

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah good idea... not sure about my seeding. I take a while to warm up, probably more important to start at the front.

Best way to get with a group that's likely to match your ability. Further, try sitting at the front for a bit, if you're feeling particularly energetic.

I also take a couple of km before I settle in. Trying to stick with the guys at the front is a damn good warmup.

Best way to get with a group that's likely to match your ability. Further, try sitting at the front for a bit, if you're feeling particularly energetic.

I also take a couple of km before I settle in. Trying to stick with the guys at the front is a damn good warmup.

.....as is Pooks Hill!

The route from Mandela bridge to the finish has been the same for the last two years, and will be the same again this time.

If you have the historical data from the last two events, be it yours or someone else's, then you will know the time required to get from Mandela bridge to the finish. 

So it doesn't matter what happens before that point of the route - as long as you know the time needed to get to the finish, you can track your progress from this point. And given that the second half is slower/more undulating, it's good they haven't changed the "second" half.

• 1 year later...

I think considering the change - Amashova is still a great acid test with the climbing at the start. Sub 3 Amashova should give a sub 3 947.

I wonder how close the times of the 109km Macsteel Carnival City Classic race will compare to 94.7

For a fatty like me, you can't compare. I always have much faster times on flater courses (going on index of wining time.)

Edited by GaryvdM

I think considering the change - Amashova is still a great acid test with the climbing at the start. Sub 3 Amashova should give a sub 3 947.

Will report back on accuracy of this assumption on 18 Nov after completing both, with 1 month gap for recovery.

My hunch is Shova will be 10mins faster, but lets see...

I wonder how close the times of the 109km Macsteel Carnival City Classic race will compare to 94.7

I’m predicting a 2:26 (CCMNC) and a 2:14 (947) for the Elites winning time. As they haven’t done the 103km since 2009, it will be hard to compare that time with the 2018 CCMNC and 947 winning times.

After the meals on wheels race, im not sure where i stand with regards to Shova and 947 race in terms of time:

Emperors: 2h47

100km Cycle Challenge: 2h48

Meals on wheels: 2h57

:blink:

I think considering the change - Amashova is still a great acid test with the climbing at the start. Sub 3 Amashova should give a sub 3 947.

Shova - 2:59:36 (after to PMB from JHB)

947 - 2:36:40 (no riding between Shova and 947 due to hosting CCMNC for second time in one year).

Shova - 3:21:39 (riding in buddy batch with fellow 3-day club members on our Jhb2Shova tour);

947 - 2:50:30 (dropping down to D group to help club mates get a sub-3).

This year I’m doing the 3-day Jhb2Shova tour again, and unsure of the start group and ride time for the Shova. 947 will test my wheel-sucking ability in VD. Have no goal other than to finish upright, and a smile on my face.

For the fact that i am not going to convince myself that riding licenced is at all a good idea - I will stick to the alphabet soup. I just dont think that going to have my A handed to me in VA makes sense at all. Will attempt my 2:30SOMETHING from A. #WHENUKNOWU2SLOW

Edited by s14phoenix

After the meals on wheels race, im not sure where i stand with regards to Shova and 947 race in terms of time:

Emperors: 2h47

100km Cycle Challenge: 2h48

Meals on wheels: 2h57

:blink:

Meals on wheels was tough in the wind hey!

Luckily the commissaire was fairly understanding with our 8 rider group across the road in the cross wind..

Meals on wheels was tough in the wind hey!

Luckily the commissaire was fairly understanding with our 8 rider group across the road in the cross wind..

I’m glad I’m not the only one that thought the wind was absolute balls - it was a proper struggle - I even battled to stay in the bunches and spent 70% of the race alone :/