MTB Tyre Choices

patches

Not sure if i can pick up from here, but it is along the same line/ topic of tyre choices.

So i am a big guy, just about 110kg currently and have a Scott hardtail, and with the Kenda tyres i have on my 26 the back tyre seems to squish and almost looks flat when i ride, strangely enough when i ride on my brothers with his sportsmans warehouse tyres, nothing!!!

Should i over inflate, get Conti's or Maxxis, beside the shedding of kilos, obviously. I have been back in the saddle now for 2 months and have lost 11 kg already, and amzed myself by doing a 10km ride the weekend so......getting there. the whole tyre thing is just freaking me out as i have seen larger guys riding and their tyres are "normal". can anyone shed some light?

what pressures are the tyres inflated to?

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If your weight is close to 100kg like me ,my rear tyre suggestions are Vitorrio saguaro ,Maxixis cross-mark ,Rubena Epic ? I am using these on my current mtb,s Coninental protection X king also works well if you are a weight weenie

@ Nonky, i try and keep to what is on the sidewall. Thanks Naas, will check out the Magic Mary!  :whistling:

On-One Trail Extreme tyres arriving soon.

Smorgasbord 2.25 (26"/ 27.5"/ 29") Dual Compound 60/42a

Chunky Monkey 2.4 (26"/ 27.5"/ 29") Dual Compound 50/42a

Smorgasbord R550ea.

Chunky Monkey R600ea.

post-12909-0-97146500-1438159620_thumb.jpg

post-12909-0-31728200-1438159628_thumb.jpg

Edited by Ryanpmb

• 2 weeks later...

I'd like to ask you guys opinion re. a rear tyre option.

I ride a 26" Trance, trail & enduro, mainly Tygerberg & Table Mt Trails. Currently I have a 2.35 Hans Dampf up front and a Maxxis Minion DHR 2.4 at the rear. The HD is great all round and I love the Minion to bits on the DOWNHILLS. Grip in turns, rock gardens & roots is phenomenal. BUT the minions biggest let down IMO is the UPHILLS... Riding anything steep and I feel like I'm towing a jurgens caravan up the Sani Pass!  :wacko: Eish! It breaks my heart to have to part ways with such a sweet downhill tyre, but I need something at the back with a lower rolling resistance. Would like it to be wide if possible 2.3-2.4, grippy, with good side wall protection, and foldable or wire bead is not a problem since I use tubes.

Any suggestions? Some I've been considering: Nobby Nic, HD, Ardent, Ibex, WTB Vigilante, Trail King, etc.

I'd like to ask you guys opinion re. a rear tyre option.

I ride a 26" Trance, trail & enduro, mainly Tygerberg & Table Mt Trails. Currently I have a 2.35 Hans Dampf up front and a Maxxis Minion DHR 2.4 at the rear. The HD is great all round and I love the Minion to bits on the DOWNHILLS. Grip in turns, rock gardens & roots is phenomenal. BUT the minions biggest let down IMO is the UPHILLS... Riding anything steep and I feel like I'm towing a jurgens caravan up the Sani Pass!  :wacko: Eish! It breaks my heart to have to part ways with such a sweet downhill tyre, but I need something at the back with a lower rolling resistance. Would like it to be wide if possible 2.3-2.4, grippy, with good side wall protection, and foldable or wire bead is not a problem since I use tubes.

Any suggestions? Some I've been considering: Nobby Nic, HD, Ardent, Ibex, WTB Vigilante, Trail King, etc.

I have had pretty good results with the Rock Razor on the back and I do believe this would tick all your requirements

HD is boggy as hell on the ups. Well, it was for me at least. 

Nobby Nic could be an option as well, but I haven't tried the new one. It's supposed to be a grippier, better rolling HD, so it could match the aggressive front you have. 

Ardent is also a very good option, and I don't think you can get the Vigi locally in 26". Ibex Citius is a brilliant rear tyre - fast rolling, and grippy when you need it to be (had it on my hardtail up until recently, and it performed beautifully at Coetzenburg - which has a variety of different trail conditions, wet, dry, slippery & hard packed - and other places) 

Another option is the WTB Wolverine - VERY good rear tyre, but tends to wear pretty quickly (well, it did when I had some, and a couple of mates have had the same experience) 

One that you haven't mentioned is the Schwalbe Rock Razor - same side knobs as the Magic Mary, but small middle knobs. Very low Rolling Resistance, but grips like stink when you lean it over. Only thing is that it doesn't have as much grip as the other tyres do in a straight line braking situation, or over slippery roots when climbing, but that's easily overcome in most situations (it served me well in Tokai in winter, and I can't climb to save my life)

All of those are good options. I'd also keep the Minion for when your HD wears out. 

Edited by Renaissance Man

• 4 weeks later...

This morning I visited my LBS and saw an Maxxis Minion 26" tyre hanging on a shelf.I enquired about the tyre and ended up buying it at a very good price.This tyre doesnt have any of the 'tubeless' or 'ust' branding on it,it only says "2 ply casing with butyl insert" on the side.I would like to knowif I would be able to use this tyre as tubeless or do I have to use a tube?Keep in mind this would be on a XC single speed bike,so it wont be thrashed on any downhills.

This morning I visited my LBS and saw an Maxxis Minion 26" tyre hanging on a shelf.I enquired about the tyre and ended up buying it at a very good price.This tyre doesnt have any of the 'tubeless' or 'ust' branding on it,it only says "2 ply casing with butyl insert" on the side.I would like to knowif I would be able to use this tyre as tubeless or do I have to use a tube?Keep in mind this would be on a XC single speed bike,so it wont be thrashed on any downhills.

Yeah, you should be able to. Very good tyre, and the 2 play casing is tough but heavy ish.

Thanks RMan,was wondering how soon YOU would reply(old faithfull to the rescue[emoji4] ).Thought it would work as the sidewall feels quite thick and strong to the touch.

I think this 2.5" will be a great upgrade on grip from the 2.0" i've been running on the front.Not worried much about extra weight on my SS ,heavier = stronger legs.

Looking forward to (in my mind) convidence inspiring grip.

No worries dude. If it's the 26 minion chances are it's the "older version" which, before the Magic Mary came along was the de facto downhill tyre ito grip etc. Since then it's been upgraded a bit with newer compounds and different casing names, but it's still a good tyre.

fwiw Capricorn is far more versed in the matters of tyres than I. As in he's tested a shartload more.