MTB Tyre Choices

patches

while im here....

I have been running 1.8 bar front and 2 bar back.

I dont do any heavy terrain yet, been to Thaba once (very rocky) and they held up great

I weigh 85kg 

What do people run these 27.5er 2.35 tyres at?

You will get answers from 1.6 - 2.4 bar ... to each his/her own, depending on weight and terrain, and the rim width

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi team

Onza Svelt vs Maxxis Aspen

adding to this thread - there is a lot of talk about Aspens which is useful! Any comparison to a Onza Svelt? Both on Special on evo at the moment and trying to make a call...

Thanks

• 1 month later...

Not much to add - you are pretty spot on with the direction you are thinking. If you want more grip on the front go for the Aggressor rather than the Ardent - it also rolls a bit faster than the Ardent, just slightly heavier.

Quite a late response to everyone who chimed in. Took a while to get stock of the Aggressor for the front but once they arrived, I installed them and did the tubeless conversion. (Aggressor 2.3 front, ikon 2.2 rear)

I know everyone says tyres are the best upgrade but holy crap the difference is insane. Thanks so much !!!

Rekon on the front, Crossmark on the back is a good combo. Go with a slightly wider tyre on the front wheel.

I'm no expert and only able to comment on what I see - but how is this tire so much different to the Butcher which I see even has its own trademarked Death Gap (lol).

Putting pics of each next to each other..its seems both have that gap...please correct me if I'm wrong 

...asking for a friend obviously  :whistling:

I'm no expert and only able to comment on what I see - but how is this tire so much different to the Butcher which I see even has its own trademarked Death Gap (lol).

Putting pics of each next to each other..its seems both have that gap...please correct me if I'm wrong 

...asking for a friend obviously  :whistling:

you're right, which is why I'm looking forward to trying it as a rear tyre. That gap isn't nearly as important there, and I'm not enjoying the DHR2 there at the moment. 

Edited by Captain Fastbastard Mayhem

Rekon on the front, Crossmark on the back is a good combo. Go with a slightly wider tyre on the front wheel.

When I need to replace my two Crossmark tyres, I will be going the same way, Rekon up front and Crossmark on the back.  I already have the tyres waiting for me in my Garage. Crossmark is 2.10 and Rekon is 2.25.

I have no idea if this will be better than two Crossmark tyres that I've been riding for the last 5 years.  Just want to experiment with new combinations.

When I need to replace my two Crossmark tyres, I will be going the same way, Rekon up front and Crossmark on the back.  I already have the tyres waiting for me in my Garage. Crossmark is 2.10 and Rekon is 2.25.

I have no idea if this will be better than two Crossmark tyres that I've been riding for the last 5 years.  Just want to experiment with new combinations.

Anything is better than 2 Crossmarks  :ph34r:

you're right, which is why I'm looking forward to trying it as a rear tyre. That gap isn't nearly as important there, and I'm not enjoying the DHR2 there at the moment. 

Ahsee ahsee...my next move will be to move the Butcher to the back and Assegai front.

Can't wait 

Ahsee ahsee...my next move will be to move the Butcher to the back and Assegai front.

Can't wait

I have a Butcher on the back of my hardtail with a Eliminator on the front. Very nice combo. Butcher has lekker grip on steep climbs, and good braking traction. Just rolls slowly.

I recently put a kenda hellkat Pro on the front. Really light tire even in 2.6 and it grips!

Where'd you get it from?

Conti's new generation Shieldwall Cross Kings and Race Kings are also worth considering. They've now got reinforced sidewalls and bigger volume. Handling is tops and they're a lot cheaper than the Protection Conti's. Fitting was a breeze with just a hand pump needed to seat and seal the beads.