MTB Tyre Choices

patches

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I got it new from a dude on the hub... I'm not sure who's selling them.

I think The Hanger Bike Co sells if I am not mistaken. I know Andrew Neethling is not an ambassador for Kenda, so it would make sense.

A Kenda Hellcat is similar to a Vittoria Agarro. It comes in 2.35 and 2.6. Tried it in the wet and it GRIPS and is so much fun to ride. The 2.35 is not as wide as you’d expect though. It measures just as wide as my Mezcal 2.25. Tiny negative aside, the Agarro is my new favourite trail tyre

Edited by Foxy_Roxy

I have an old hardtail with regular stock rims I use as my go-to commuter to save the Spaz a bit, and I have now reached the stage where the tyres require replacement. The problem is that they just plain refuse to let go of the blooming rim. I am at my wit's end as to how to get them unseated.

Any ideas?

Vittoria Saguaro on the back, Barzo up front. The Barzo is first in the line of fire, as it just has so many holes in, not even the sealant is working no more. Failing any constructive advice, a side cutter will suffice.

Lots of thumb work and lubricant....

Seriously. 

Failing that, take it to The Andrews at Stoke, and pick up some new tekkies at the same time. 

EDIT: FWIW Haylett has proper wrench-hands, and the non-droo (Daniel) has even stronger ones. 

Edited by Captain Fastbastard Mayhem

If you're binning the rubber, just take a new stanley blade and cut it in half all the way round.

It makes it way easier to pry the bead out of the rim.

this just saves so much hassle.

this just saves so much hassle.

Cracking the bead for sealant on my Rock Razor required a motorcycle tyre lever. :eek:

Tired of lightweight tyres and getting an unfixable puncture on the bead from rocks; not even going fast (well to me I was). Just trashed an almost new Continental which made me grumpy. Almost 2 bar pressure in the thing as well.

Seriously. 

Failing that, take it to The Andrews at Stoke, and pick up some new tekkies at the same time. 

EDIT: FWIW Haylett has proper wrench-hands, and the non-droo (Daniel) has even stronger ones. 

Sketchy AF!  :eek: 

Seriously. 

Didn't know you were into that Myles  :ph34r:

Wrong thread... 

Put on some Kenda Booster 2.2’s recently and was well impressed with the grip compared to other XC tyres. 

Edited by BikeisLife

Howzit guys, I am looking for a Racing Ray and Racing Ralphs (evo) in skinwall? Have anyone seen them at a shop? 

Taking on Pinkbike's moniker of 'down-country' bikes, what are opinions on tyre combos that would fit this category? Tyres that sport some reasonably aggressive tread but remain decently fast rolling.

If going with Maxxis, perhaps something like an Aggressor up front (2.5WT) and Ikon (2.35) out back would fit the bill. Any other thoughts?

Taking on Pinkbike's moniker of 'down-country' bikes, what are opinions on tyre combos that would fit this category? Tyres that sport some reasonably aggressive tread but remain decently fast rolling.

If going with Maxxis, perhaps something like an Aggressor up front (2.5WT) and Ikon (2.35) out back would fit the bill. Any other thoughts?

I would use that exact combo, alternatively an Ardent Race on the rear - I prefer it's side knobs to the Ikon for the rear.

Yeah. That would suit, but for me it's a no no as the IKON doesn't come with a suitable casing. Just Exo / Exo Plus, which in my opinion shouldn't be on the rear of MY bike. I'm just too **** at choosing lines and klapping things in the trail, and don't "float" over the trail. 

If it came in a DH / DD casing, I'd be all over it. 

Personally, an ideal fast rolling combo at the moment would be Slaughter (DH casing) and Eliminator / Asseguy (Grid / Exo Plus / DD)

It's a pet peeve of mine that the tyres I want to use at the back don't come with good casings and don't last, or are the softest compound on offer and also, don't last.