MTB Tyre Choices

patches

27 minutes ago, DieselnDust said:

Bru as of yesterday Maxxis are so last year.

Schwalbe is the new king long life the king

I somehow got the idea it is the new flavour of the month - now if they can just drop the price!! But Maxxis does have a very good track record! 

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

20 minutes ago, 100Tours said:

That's what I run.  I like the slightly chunkier Ardent up front for some extra grip.

I thought so too...then......

Interesting that Maxxis website rates the Ardent Race to have better cornering capability (and by that I assume grip) than the Ardent

Edited by pedal menace

4 minutes ago, Jbr said:

This is a 2.4, plenty of grip, and the front lasts, you'll probably run 2 or 3 rears for one front

Are you saying take the Rekon Race 2.4 over the 2.35? Is that a good idea on a 25mm width RIM?

MMh I thought I had these but mine are 2.35... Not sure what's the max your wheels can take though sorry

3 minutes ago, pedal menace said:

Are you saying take the Rekon Race 2.4 over the 2.35? Is that a good idea on a 25mm width RIM?

Hunt's guideline is a max tyre of 2.35 on a 25mm (internal) rim, so there's that. But the 2.4 tyres are just so comfortable.

I really rate the vittoria cape cobra, barzo on the front and mescal/saguaro on the back. The standard vittoria’s seemed a bit soft, but I have not had a single issue with the cape cobra editions and they have been available in 2.35 which is great. They are a bit heavy, but super reliable and have been the perfect combo for most conditions in gauteng that we ride. I have for ****s and giggles put a set of Schwalbe’s on to try, but right out of the gate had an issue with one of the tyres having an unacceptable amount of wobble on the tread. So waiting for feedback on the warranty for it. But I hear good things in terms of usage, also they were skinwall and I am trying to be fashionable…

33 minutes ago, TDFN said:

Whatever you do dont get what Nino rode the epic on.

Basically we are all waiting to find out what the Germans used .....

18 minutes ago, ChrisF said:

Basically we are all waiting to find out what the Germans used .....

Schwalbe Racing Ralph.

the tyre that was measured against all🤪

9863D2E4-CAD7-467C-ADE2-8E777F2E4CC3.webp

A42B3F7E-C661-4887-9F96-CAC25A9C970B.webp

Edited by MORNE

My suggestion is Ardent 2.35 Front, Ardent Race 2.25 Rear on a dual sus that will see a range of technical and trails (after 5 years haven't got one puncture - but that can have more to do with luck than anything else)!

I've found the 2.4 to be heavier (although more plush) but can feel bouncy if a little soft.

I'm only 68kg's (weight) and use Aspens on my lightweight HT for trails. They are lightweight tyres and the tread is sufficient for most trails but will be more likely to lose grip on a very sandy uphill/downhill. Just don't choose too low a gear on a steep hill otherwise you'll spin the wheels.

Good luck with your choices and upcoming race...

I run the Maxiss Forekaster 2.35 in the front and Ikon 2.35 in the back. Forekaster is a chunkier tyre but as a heavier rider (90kg) the extra grip gives me a lot of confidence on the trails/ technical terrain, plus I manage to keep up with group training rides on the road averaging 26 - 28kmh. I must say that the 3C compound is a must on Maxxis - I recently ran a non 3C maxxis tyre at the back and road riding tore it up - only lasted about 2 months - also got several punctures on the trails. 

The Forekaster just lasts forever and has never given me an issue with punctures. I would way rather have that peace of mind when doing a race, especially Sani, knowing that it’s only your legs that may fail you and not your tyres. Plus, I would argue that having more grip would save you time on single track. 

Edited by Mattman
Addition to post

6 hours ago, Mattman said:

I run the Maxiss Forekaster 2.35 in the front and Ikon 2.35 in the back. Forekaster is a chunkier tyre but as a heavier rider (90kg) the extra grip gives me a lot of confidence on the trails/ technical terrain, plus I manage to keep up with group training rides on the road averaging 26 - 28kmh. I must say that the 3C compound is a must on Maxxis - I recently ran a non 3C maxxis tyre at the back and road riding tore it up - only lasted about 2 months - also got several punctures on the trails. 

The Forekaster just lasts forever and has never given me an issue with punctures. I would way rather have that peace of mind when doing a race, especially Sani, knowing that it’s only your legs that may fail you and not your tyres. Plus, I would argue that having more grip would save you time on single track. 

Completely agree, the Forekaster is an amazing and underrated tire. I had Barzo's before and it is much better tire in loose over hard.

As for all this anti Maxxis sentiment following Nino's experience at the Eric, folks quickly forget that Maxxis are the most common tire on the DH and Enduro circuits. They as tough as hell. The Aspen was originally more of a semi-slick cross tire that Nino started using for MTB. However, it he used an Ikon or Recon Race, actual proper MTB tires, I doubt they would have had many problems.

I'll throw my hat in the ring for a set of 2.35 Rekon Races too. Running my on Rapide 25mm IW rims and they're the perfect shape to me, not too squared off, but not too bulbous and unsupported. 

Keep in mind I chose these to have minimal rolling resistance, but not be as fragile as an Aspen. So far I've enjoyed them, pretty comfy, but haven't given them a lot of trail time on more challenging features, so their durability is still to be tested in rougher conditions. I have found the grip, if leant over far enough, to be adequate. I'm of the opinion though that cornering grip has as much to do with your technique as it does the tyre. 

I also can't be arsed to shell out R1200 for a Schwalbe RacingSpeedSuperInsanoGripSlip V2.3 tyre to save 5W of rolling resistance.

I run rear 2.4 Aspen and front 2.4 Recon Race. The wheel ID is 30mm.  The combo feels fine, but I don't think the Aspen will last very long. I have done around 2000km on the pair.