MTB Tyre Choices

patches

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, Spafsack said:

Hi Nico, reason i ask. I am old school, still running 2.25 front and rear, cause my brain and my legs say my rolling resistance is better 😁 Wy wife has Barzo's, cape cobra i think, 2.2 i think, her tyres look wider than mine 🤨 I once fitted icons front and rear, 2.35, man o man, feels like you riding on a cushion, but [might just be me] on the uphills i found i was doing more work to do the same speed as my good old faithfull 2.25 cross marks. But i must say, i am now at a stage where i want to go a tad bit wider, so either 2.3 or max 2.35. As long as rolling res is the same or better then its a win win.

I think if 2.4 is fast enough for Nino it's fast enough for me. As long as I don't get as many punctures. 

As far as specific brands go, in my experience Bontrager has been spot on, while the continentals and maxxis I've had have all been undersized. Depends on the batch and the type and so many factors. I'd say just go for it. 

11 hours ago, Steady Spin said:

2.3 for me but on a 30mm rim they sit nice and fat. 

Loving my Specialized Butchers. Who cares about uphills when life is all about “roostin’ & boostin’” 😂

Agree I think - A 2.35 tyre will sit differently and touch surface on a 25mm vs 30mm rim - right? 

1 minute ago, pedal menace said:

Agree I think - A 2.35 tyre will sit differently and touch surface on a 25mm vs 30mm rim - right? 

Will appear bigger on a 30mm due to the tire profile changing slightly as the rim gets wider. I know there was an extensive topic on here somewhere covering the effects of rim width on tire profiles. 

It is minor though going from 25 to 30mm. Still noticeable to the trained eye. 

17 hours ago, MORNE said:

the worst part is the bicycle tires will probably cost the same or more haha 

This is not even funny. My MTB tyres cost the same as my motorcycle

tyres.

My car is a high mileage commuter that gets driven on less than perfect roads so I fit cheapy tyres to it. They're about R250-300 less per tyre than what I run on mtb, that just sounds so wrong.

4 hours ago, Riaan H said:

My car is a high mileage commuter that gets driven on less than perfect roads so I fit cheapy tyres to it. They're about R250-300 less per tyre than what I run on mtb, that just sounds so wrong.

And that is the "unit price" ... 

Price per km bicycle tires are insanely expensive ..  

So I rather see it as my maintenance cost on the bike is less than gym membership .... 😋 (please do not point out the flaws in my maths)

On 3/30/2022 at 12:59 PM, dasilvarsa said:

Anyone tried Squirt Seal Tyre Sealant ?

using it now in my Epic Evo...will report back if I puncture...

All this talk about wide rims which I cannot understand or afford.

I ride WTB i19 rims with no hassels but which tyre will allow me to go wide?  I can go up to 45 width and ride mostly gravel roads. I usually buy the cheapest tyre I can afford.  At the moment I am using CSK and Rambler.

Some tyres will go wider on these narrow rims but what are they?

On 4/2/2022 at 8:40 AM, Sepia said:

I ride WTB i19 rims with no hassels but which tyre will allow me to go wide?  I can go up to 45 width and ride mostly gravel roads. I usually buy the cheapest tyre I can afford.  At the moment I am using CSK and Rambler.

29 x 2.35 tyres seem to work fine on 19 mm Rims (Ideally you should use 2.25)

Back in the day, i think before lock down, i still had my silverback super speed ht carbon. I chucked on icons, 2.35 front and back, i had on 2.25 cross marks. First reaction was, why do they feel flat all the time 😄 But man, how plush on rocky downhills, felt as if i had a dual sus. I did however notice a bit of tyre skwerm going round corners fast on tar, as if they not pumped hard enough, but it was just how it was. I ended up getting another bike and it now has 2.25's on, when they done i will go up to 2.3 or 2.35. I must say, on the thicker icons i felt slower on uphill's, but maybe it was just my imagination, as if i had more resistance. But on the flip side, the grip was better, so a win for wider in my opinion.    

On 4/2/2022 at 8:40 AM, Sepia said:

i have panaracer GK 50c on my Hope Rs4 wheelset. those are i20 (so similar), they measure 50c on the dot. They'll probably measure ±55 on a i30 rim lol (joke). I like their rounded profile on the i20 rim for a semi offroad bike. 

I had some i25 rims and later i35 rims on my mtb. The difference in size and profile a normal 2.35 rekon race on the two rims was night and day...not to mention the 2.6 Rekon's. The went form big on a i25 to HUGE on i35.

I'm not convinced wider is always better. Maybe up front but out back, my experience is the wider rim gets less protection from the tyre as there is  less tyre overlapping the rim eg with a 29mm ID rim and 2.4 tyre than when you're running say a 2.4 on a 22mm rim.  This is based on observation of rear rim damage on my two MTB's. The narrower rim is on a hardtail and takes a beating with far less rim damage than my long travel enduro bike with a 2.5 and 2.4 on a 29mm rim. I'm looking for a 25mm ID rim for my enduro bike...