MTB Tyre Choices

patches

The rider and bike are probably riding the short to medium routes, still building fitness and confidence. The IKON is perfect for this type of rider.

Yet somehow the word "trail" links to "aggressor, "Magic Mary" etc.

You know the Green Belt in Constantia is also a trail and people who ride it are trail riders right? Triail does not equal gap jumps and fast loose berms etc etc.

No, an Ikon is NOT a good front tyre for your average MTB rider. Still building confidence means that they'll require superior levels of grip, far more than what an Ikon would be able to give in inexperienced hands. 

Yes, the green belt is a trail. But it's just one of the many trails in CT, and has everything except loose-over-hard & gravel. It's got roots, rocks, loam, mud, sand, hardpack and everything inbetween, so your best bet would be to get a tyre that excels at all of those. That is NOT an Ikon. That IS something like the Ardent 2.4 (which I personally dislike) and the Aggressor, Mary, Minion DHF and so on. You CAN opt for lighter casings such as the Exo, Grid or Snakeskin from the various stables, but to tell Joe Average that the Ikon is a great all-round front tyre is foolish and misses the point entirely, unless they're only doing gravel grinding or are at the pointy end of the field where weight is prioritised over grip.

This is 2019, when good, grippy tyres are available at decent weights, and you're telling them to get a fast-rolling XCM/XCO focused tyre which offers nowhere near the grip levels that an average Joe requires in order to facilitate confidence & skills development and progression. 

Edited by Captain Fatbastard Mayhem

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

21mm wide Spez Roval alloy 29" on the front.

ZTR crest mk3 at the back, assume it's also 21mm wide?

Sent from my BLA-L29 using Tapatalk

As Grease Monkey said, we used to run 2.5's on 19 & 21mm internal rims before we "knew better" but we weren't able to run them at the same pressures we can at the moment on our wider rims. What I'd suggest is the 2.3 aggressor which, while it's narrower and less aggressive than the 2.5 aggressor (has shorter knobs), will fit your rims much better and will offer levels of grip that the Ikon can only dream of. Then an Ikon for the back, 'cos that's where it belongs. 

As Grease Monkey said, we used to run 2.5's on 19 & 21mm internal rims before we "knew better" but we weren't able to run them at the same pressures we can at the moment on our wider rims. What I'd suggest is the 2.3 aggressor which, while it's narrower and less aggressive than the 2.5 aggressor (has shorter knobs), will fit your rims much better and will offer levels of grip that the Ikon can only dream of. Then an Ikon for the back, 'cos that's where it belongs.

Thank you, I'll take that advice. It's more grip on the front that I'm after ;)

Sent from my BLA-L29 using Tapatalk

No, an Ikon is NOT a good front tyre for your average MTB rider. Still building confidence means that they'll require superior levels of grip, far more than what an Ikon would be able to give in inexperienced hands. 

Yes, the green belt is a trail. But it's just one of the many trails in CT, and has everything except loose-over-hard & gravel. It's got roots, rocks, loam, mud, sand, hardpack and everything inbetween, so your best bet would be to get a tyre that excels at all of those. That is NOT an Ikon. That IS something like the Ardent 2.4 (which I personally dislike) and the Aggressor, Mary, Minion DHF and so on. You CAN opt for lighter casings such as the Exo, Grid or Snakeskin from the various stables, but to tell Joe Average that the Ikon is a great all-round front tyre is foolish and misses the point entirely, unless they're only doing gravel grinding or are at the pointy end of the field where weight is prioritised over grip.

This is 2019, when good, grippy tyres are available at decent weights, and you're telling them to get a fast-rolling XCM/XCO focused tyre which offers nowhere near the grip levels that an average Joe requires in order to facilitate confidence & skills development and progression. 

Shjoe, so much testosterone, so much ego. You need to get out and ride more rather than repeat internet tyre reviews :)

Edited by DieselnDust

Shjoe, so much testosterone, so much ego. You need to get out and ride more rather than repeat internet tyre reviews :)

I see it's a common tactic of yours to revert to insults when someone points out you're wrong... 

Internet tyre reviews inform my decisions on which tyres to go for, and help me form an educated opinion on matters such as these. Added to that, I have a fair amount of experience of different tyres at what I believe to be about an average skill level. I'm no pinner by any stretch of the imagination... 

But you're right - I do need to ride more. I continually tell myself that, and I'm testing an Asseguy at the moment so I need more than the 2 rides that I've had to form a solid opinion on it. But so far - so grippy. Don't like the DD casing as much as the SG casing on Schwalbe (can see the different applications of the butyl insert - Schwalbe continues to the side knobs, DD ends ~10mm below them) but the grip characteristics are quite good and may actually be better than the Mary it's replaced. But I need more than just a session on TM, and 4 repeats of Vasbyt in Tokai to form a more accurate assessment of it. 

Fact is - an Ikon is not a good tyre for the front end of Joe Average's bike. Just like the Crossmark isn't. Aggressor / Ardent / DHR / DHF / Mary etc etc etc are, and will foster far more confidence and skills progression than the Ikon would, thanks to the superior levels of grip and stronger sidewalls. 

Edited by Captain Fatbastard Mayhem

well no wonder only Odison commented on the Rekon ....according to Rush they don't bring in the 2.4WT ...so i might have to ask my folks to grab me one whilst they are in OZ :)  

Hi guys

Looking for a fast rolling rear for hardpack, gravel and tar. Maxxis Aspen 2.25 or Maxxis Rekon Race 2.35?

Hi guys

Looking for a fast rolling rear for hardpack, gravel and tar. Maxxis Aspen 2.25 or Maxxis Rekon Race 2.35?

I wouldn't take the Aspen as the sidewalks are like paper. Reckon race in EXO casing is better for the rear. But as Morne says, those semi slick jobs are excellent. The minion ss, rock razor and slaughter are all great tyres and roll really fast. Good thing is that they have better sidewalls than the rekon race as well. And, actually, for those surfaces a crossmark would also work. Edited by Captain Fatbastard Mayhem

Hi guys

Run both those tyres. Sidewalls on both are exo. I find the aspen better suited as a front, the transition from the center knobs to the cornering knobs are nice and predictable and they hold up well.

Reasonably happy with my 2.35 Ikon upfront, as I am looking for better rolling rather than cornering

So maybe my question for the rear tyre is more 2.25 vs 2.35?  The Rekon Race just looks fast

Have to do a lot of riding on tarmac

Edited by Zorro5614

Hi guys

I'd go for the Rekon Race 2.35 - the extra width adds alot of volume to the tyre and translates to better comfort and absorption of things like corrugations. I run a 2.35" Ardent Race on the rear which is awesome!

Apologies if I seem lazy for not doing research myself. But you okes seem to be REALLY knowledgeable about tire combs. Perhaps I can leverage off some wisdom.

Had to buy maxis ardent race 2.35 for my rear wheel kinda out of desperation and lbs recommendation as I had to sort my wheel on short notice and the lbs had limited range.

Need to replace front tire asap. What tire would you recommend up front?

I ride typical/popular CT trails (Durbanville, table mtn, greyton, okay valley etc)

Apologies if I seem lazy for not doing research myself. But you okes seem to be REALLY knowledgeable about tire combs. Perhaps I can leverage off some wisdom.

Had to buy maxis ardent race 2.35 for my rear wheel kinda out of desperation and lbs recommendation as I had to sort my wheel on short notice and the lbs had limited range.

Need to replace front tire asap. What tire would you recommend up front?

I ride typical/popular CT trails (Durbanville, table mtn, greyton, okay valley etc)

What bike do you have? Do you ride more for distance, or get as much descending in as possible? Do you prefer grip or want little roling resistance? Do you pick lines carefully, or bomb through everything in your path? Are you heavy or light?

Sorry for lack of info...clearly don't know my sh@*

I ride rocky Mountain element DS. I ride More for distance and speed but want to feel secure in turns (so some grip). Don't do heavy technical dh type riding - .I pick lines but may bomb through some rocky descents....but not in a wreckless way.

Oh I do commute to work perhaps twice per week and choose between mtb and road depending on how I feel.

About 168 height and 73kg.