Tennis...

'Dale

She wouldn't feature. They've already looked at this, and she wouldn't get inside the top 50 male players. 

Yet she gets the same prize money? Why don't the men strike and demand to only play 3 sets? Don't we want equality for all?

• Replies 332
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yet she gets the same prize money? Why don't the men strike and demand to only play 3 sets? Don't we want equality for all?

Equality is impossible - equitable has always been my favourite word for balance between the sexes.

She wouldn't feature. They've already looked at this, and she wouldn't get inside the top 50 male players. 

adjust that number a bit higher

1998: Karsten Braasch vs. the Williams sisters[edit]

Another event dubbed a "Battle of the Sexes" took place during the 1998 Australian Open[52] between Karsten Braasch and the Williams sistersVenus and Serena Williams had claimed that they could beat any male player ranked outside the world's top 200, so Braasch, then ranked 203rd, challenged them both. Braasch was described by one journalist as "a man whose training regime centered around a pack of cigarettes and more than a couple bottles of ice cold lager".[53][52] 

The matches took place on court number 12 in Melbourne Park,[54] after Braasch had finished a round of golf and two shandies. He first took on Serena and after leading 5–0, beat her 6–1. Venus then walked on court and again Braasch was victorious, this time winning 6–2.[55] Braasch said afterwards, "500 and above, no chance". He added that he had played like someone ranked 600th in order to keep the game "fun".[56] Braasch said the big difference was that men can chase down shots much easier, and that men put spin on the ball that the women can't handle. The Williams sisters adjusted their claim to beating men outside the top 350.[52]

Level the playing field fully. Women get paid the same for grand slam tournaments, then make the ladies play 5 sets. All equal,all fair. Will resolve the stats issues as well.

I do not believe that women can not play 5 sets. Only challenge i can think of of is the extra time needed for the extra sets to be played. Start the day an hour earlier for games.... fixed.

Isn't it a case that in most smaller tournaments on the circuit the men also play 3 sets but for the grand slams and other big tournaments the men play 5?

I think in many cases just making tennis matches longer doesn't necessarily make it more interesting to watch (Im sure the  Isner vs Anderson Wimbledon semi final was boring as hell for most neutrals)

Yet here we are, more than a week after the event still posting about woman's rights on a tennis thread. And none of us bar 'Dale could even be bothered to post about the sport of tennis before this incident. If you can't see it no point going into it  ;)

Isn't this more of a Hub debate/fight about a sportswoman having a hissy fit rather than a debate about women's rights?

Isn't this more of a Hub debate/fight about a sportswoman having a hissy fit rather than a debate about women's rights?

This in 2018! There is generally a broader or underlying 'issue' that needs resolve before a specific instance can be adjudicated on  :blush:  

Yet here we are, more than a week after the event still posting about woman's rights on a tennis thread. And none of us bar 'Dale could even be bothered to post about the sport of tennis before this incident. If you can't see it no point going into it  ;)

Nope we are just doing our usual bikehub and flogging a dead horse and mute point over and over for the sake of it ;)

The majority of the post and post match tennis pundits all seem to agree that it had nothing to do with anyone's rights.... even if you keep trying to bang that drum!!

When you have a woman's wrongs and can't separate them from women's rights, there's no more left to discuss. Right?

Nope we are just doing our usual bikehub and flogging a dead horse and mute point over and over for the sake of it ;)

The majority of the post and post match tennis pundits all seem to agree that it had nothing to do with anyone's rights.... even if you keep trying to bang that drum!!

Moot!

This in 2018! There is generally a broader or underlying 'issue' that needs resolve before a specific instance can be adjudicated on  :blush:  

Well I think everyone (even probably readsalot) agrees that Serena was wrong. The broader discussion is what is interesting, even if shaper thinks its just me banging a drum. 

Paddaman,

I agree that in this professional game of sport this player broke rules and was penalized accordingly.

The sport handled that.

I also understand and can appreciate that there’s a sociologist-political context within which this sport is operating, that is the US Open in the USA where there’s a tyrant king ruling. Issues of diversity are high up on the consciousness of that nation. There’s a lot of anger and hurt.

Professional athletes are humans and social beings and are affected by context. She was penalized and that is correct. Yet I can understand her social context as far as I can see.

Your posts remain in bad taste with your tone and now insults.

Dale, I honestly believe your emotions are getting in the way here... reading your post it's almost like you are talking about Colin Kaepernick (somebody who does actually deserve support and who has in fact been treated poorly by the system) - this was not discrimination, there is zero evidence to support her claims. Everything actually points to the contrary.

She broke the rules, several times and the ref through the book at her as he must - that's the way it works. We're all taught from a young age to respect the ref's decision - without a neutral ref you do not have a fair contest. And she was being coached, her own coach admitted it... but she won't. I don't wonder who's lying. Did she smash her racket? Did she call the official a liar and a thief? Is this the first time?

It's nothing to do with sexism or racism... the timing of this tells you everything. She's a bad sport and this is her way of deflecting from the reality that she was outplayed on her home turf ...you learn a lot more about a person when they are losing, true colours and all that.

Bottom line for me, it's disgraceful what she did and she can never undo it or give back that moment to young Naomi Osaka. And she doesn't seem even remotely embarrassed or apologetic. Nope it's all about her, her pathetic little ego got battered and now it's all because of some bull discrimination and sexism in a sport that that has given her a life most people could only dream of. 

And how ironic you mention the little tyrant king of the USA - they're like two peas in a pod frankly, throwing all their toys out the cot when they don't get their way.

If there is sexism or racism of any sort in the sport, then sure take it up - but making this poor excuse for a sportswomen the poster child for it based on her center court wobbly will do little to give it any real merit. 

Isn't it a case that in most smaller tournaments on the circuit the men also play 3 sets but for the grand slams and other big tournaments the men play 5?

I think in many cases just making tennis matches longer doesn't necessarily make it more interesting to watch (Im sure the  Isner vs Anderson Wimbledon semi final was boring as hell for most neutrals)

I'm going to start with your second point first.

ARE YOU ON CRACK?

it was gripping, tense and had more plot twists than a shakespearian tragedy.

Second, point the length of matches. We all know that women compete with men on endurance level, they would have no problem handling 5 setters that men don't have.

Tennis is a money game like any proffessional sports, with the bulk coming from TV rights. The men's game is immensely more exciting to watch (sounds like opinion, but it's fact from TV viewerships)

Tennis is a money game like any proffessional sports, with the bulk coming from TV rights. The men's game is immensely more exciting to watch (sounds like opinion, but it's fact from TV viewerships)

Maybe fact check your facts 

Wimbledon

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/more-tv-viewers-watch-wimbledon-womens-final-featuring-serena-williams-than-the-mens-3jcsdn98p

US Open

http://fortune.com/2018/09/11/serena-williams-carlos-ramos/

Hate Serena all you want, but she attracts the viewers

it was gripping, tense and had more plot twists than a shakespearian tragedy.

I have always found shakespeare stories to be utterly boring so maybe its a good comparison

2 okes that can basically only serve well and lack the ability to break the other's serve - borefest imo and Im not the only one on crack

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-5952483/John-Isners-Wimbledon-semi-final-against-Kevin-Anderson-breaks-records-fans-arent-impressed.html

http://mystylenews.com/world-news/tennis-fans-bored-lengthy-isner-anderson-semi-final-wimbledon/

But yes, wheter something is boring or not is just an opinion, happy for you if you found it exciting.

If this carries on we will have to allow tennis players (please none of the Williams) onto the Lady Pro page, fair is fair  :devil:

ps Williams also not allowed because she did not behave like a lady!!