Top Posters In This Topic

Lions' brand of play

Wow

Elton confident

Crying at the end during MOM award

Team synergy is awesome

They play as a unit

Highlanders was tough and played beautiful rugby too

Great vibe once again. Scoreline didn't really reflect the game I don't think.

Fair to say the lions are on par with the Kiwi teams as some were asking. Actually way better. Proves to me we can do it n South Africa. The problem isn't the talent.

Great vibe once again. Scoreline didn't really reflect the game I don't think.

Fair to say the lions are on par with the Kiwi teams as some were asking. Actually way better. Proves to me we can do it n South Africa. The problem isn't the talent.

Talent has never been the issue for SA sides rather finding a way to play proper attacking play that doesn't compromise our set piece strength. Lions have found that happy balance. Looking forward to seeing a few more Lions players in Bok jerseys!

Sent from my GT-S6790 using Tapatalk

My boss doesn't know much about (the intricate details of) rugby, but can relate to the various style of rugby played over the years. He said that watching Craven week rugby he noticed the running style most of the teams play, and can't understand why teams need to be bulked up to bash their way through the opposition.

We have the talent, and we have a game that comes natural to the players - the Lions have proved that we can compete with and beat the best. I really hope AC realises (and the other franchises too) that this is the way forward.

Looking forward to Saturday morning...

My boss doesn't know much about (the intricate details of) rugby, but can relate to the various style of rugby played over the years. He said that watching Craven week rugby he noticed the running style most of the teams play, and can't understand why teams need to be bulked up to bash their way through the opposition.

We have the talent, and we have a game that comes natural to the players - the Lions have proved that we can compete with and beat the best. I really hope AC realises (and the other franchises too) that this is the way forward.

Looking forward to Saturday morning...

Kick Chase is great if you have a back three that can ensure you get the ball back the greater majority of the time but falls apart if you can't.

A properly executed running ball in hand game allied with accurate passing will generally trump a well executed kick chase game. Think AB v Bok tests since the mid nineties.

Ball in hand also trumps structured phase play but that's a bit more even as compared too playing against a kick chase game. The comparison there would be AB v Aus tests.

What has been impressive with the Lions is the fact that they've adjusted ever so slightly to each opponent they've faced. The essential basics is there but with slight variation based on the identified weaknesses of the other team and on field opportunities. It comes down to planning (coaches) and execution (players). Something else the Lions shine with is that their backline play isn't centered on one or two star attacking player(s) but rather a collective effort from the entire unit.

There has been a slight shift in the SA landscape towards a more ball in hand game. Lions rather obviously lead that but the Cheetahs, Stormers, Guppies (Sharks) and the Bulls have been trying too but seemingly get undone by the need for results. The Cheetahs are the exception in that their defense let's them down horribly. So yes our players can but are the administrators and the coaches at other unions willing to implement the changes necessary to get on a level footing with the Lions and the Kiwi sides? And yes it will also mean having to accept defeats but ultimately there's more to gain imho not just for the franchises but also the Boks.

Kick Chase is great if you have a back three that can ensure you get the ball back the greater majority of the time but falls apart if you can't.

A properly executed running ball in hand game allied with accurate passing will generally trump a well executed kick chase game. Think AB v Bok tests since the mid nineties.

Ball in hand also trumps structured phase play but that's a bit more even as compared too playing against a kick chase game. The comparison there would be AB v Aus tests.

What has been impressive with the Lions is the fact that they've adjusted ever so slightly to each opponent they've faced. The essential basics is there but with slight variation based on the identified weaknesses of the other team and on field opportunities. It comes down to planning (coaches) and execution (players). Something else the Lions shine with is that their backline play isn't centered on one or two star attacking player(s) but rather a collective effort from the entire unit.

There has been a slight shift in the SA landscape towards a more ball in hand game. Lions rather obviously lead that but the Cheetahs, Stormers, Guppies (Sharks) and the Bulls have been trying too but seemingly get undone by the need for results. The Cheetahs are the exception in that their defense let's them down horribly. So yes our players can but are the administrators and the coaches at other unions willing to implement the changes necessary to get on a level footing with the Lions and the Kiwi sides? And yes it will also mean having to accept defeats but ultimately there's more to gain imho not just for the franchises but also the Boks.

Very true. But I see AC praises the stormers attack in the same breath as the Lions. The more he talks the more I realize how doff he is. We all want more Lions in the bok team, but actually the situation is not very healthy (having only 1 decent SA team). You can't take almost the entire Lions team and give them a new coach and different gameplan and expect the same results. AC has to get the Lions coaches involved somehow

Lions have finally found that balance between attack, defence and tactical kicking. I think we have a real shot at winning the title, although needless to say it's not going to be easy

Very true. But I see AC praises the stormers attack in the same breath as the Lions. The more he talks the more I realize how doff he is. We all want more Lions in the bok team, but actually the situation is not very healthy (having only 1 decent SA team). You can't take almost the entire Lions team and give them a new coach and different gameplan and expect the same results. AC has to get the Lions coaches involved somehow

Lions have finally found that balance between attack, defence and tactical kicking. I think we have a real shot at winning the title, although needless to say it's not going to be easy

This is something I've noticed about the NZ teams, they all play a very similar game. This makes it far easier for coaching when called up to play for All Blacks. 

Everybody talking about making all the lions Bokke. Well a couple of years ago, they also said the same thing about the Bulls. And that also didn't worked out so great for the Bokke. :ph34r:  :whistling: