Rugby...

'Dale

http://www.timeslive.co.za/sport/rugby/2016/12/17/Springbok-utility-back-Johan-Goosen-quits-rugby-in-shock-decision1

The mercurially talented Springbok utility back Johan Goosen has dramatically quit professional rugby in his desperation to leave French club Racing 92. The Parisian club confirmed that the 24-year-old Goosen had informed them he was retiring from rugby to take up a ‘commercial director’ post in South Africa.

Details of Goosen’s new career are vague.

It was an open secret on the recent Bok tour to Britain and Italy‚ in which Goosen featured at fullback against Wales and on the bench against England and Italy‚ that he wanted out of his French deal.

Club president Jacky Lorenzetti revealed the news on the club’s website.

“Goosen‚ whose contract was overwhelmingly re-structured a year ago‚ now claims to be free in an incredible way‚” an incredulous Lorenzetti said.

“He has announced today that he has taken the incredible decision to end his playing career‚ to return to South Africa for a strong role as a commercial director.

“We regret that such a talented player has gone astray and decided to abandon professional rugby as it seems obvious that the role of commercial director is incompatible with high level sport.”

But Lorenzetti warned that Goosen and his agent might face legal action from the club.

“We wish to add that Racing 92 has always strongly supported Johan Goosen both morally and financially‚” Lorenzetti said.

“And while it has unfortunately proved in recent times that there is a certain lack of vis-à-vis between the player and his coaches and more generally of all members of the club and its fans‚ we hope it quickly becomes aware that compliance with a contract like that of a given word is the basis of all human and professional relationships.

“Naturally‚ Racing 92 reserve the right to give such conduct all appropriate legal actions both towards Johan Goosen as those who advise him.”

Goosen‚ who played the bulk of his rugby at centre for Racing last season when they won the French Top 14 and the European Champions Cup‚ recently signed an extension on his contract keeping him in Paris until 2020.

It’s unclear what the fallout between Goosen and the club is about at this stage‚ but in a frank interview with this writer in November 2014‚ Goosen seemed happy in France.

“I’m really enjoying life in France and when I made that decision [to leave SA] I thought my Bok career was over and I would have to live with it.

"I wrestled with the decision a lot and so I was very surprised when I was called up for this tour.

“Injuries played a big part in making the decision to leave South Africa.

“I didn’t do it because I thought I couldn’t be injured playing rugby in France but because I needed to think about my financial future and it’s a more lucrative over there.”

Goosen has played 14 Tests for the Springboks.

adonbilivit he won some awards this year too

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 7.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

This is not going to end well for Goosen.

Such a tragedy - could've become a Springbok-legend had he been better managed on and off the field.

http://www.sport24.co.za/Rugby/racing-92-take-legal-steps-against-goosen-20170103

Cape Town - Racing 92 will "initiate several legal proceedings aimed at enforcing its rights and redressing the harm done to the club" by Johan Goosen.

The Springbok player did not appear at the French club on Monday and Tuesday of this week following news that he had retired from the game.

It was speculated that Goosen made the unexpected move in a desperate attempt to get out of his contract with Racing 92. His behaviour has been puzzling considering he signed a contract extension with the club earlier this year, increasing his salary to €500,000 per season.

In a statement issued by Racing on Tuesday, it appears the legal wheels are already in motion against 24-year-old South African Goosen.

"Racing 92 regrets to announce that Johan Goosen has not appeared at the club for the last two days and seems to have vacated his residence at Le Plessis-Robinson," it read.

"As far as Racing 92 is concerned, Johan Goosen still remains bound to the club by an employment contract lasting four years, while his residence, company car, locker, and place in the locker-room all remain at his disposal. To this effect, Johan Goosen remains on the list of players qualified by the EPCR to play in the Champions Cup, starting with the match between Racing 92 and Munster this Saturday.

"In response to Johan Goosen’s behaviour, Racing 92 is forced to initiate several legal proceedings aimed at enforcing its rights and redressing the harm done to the club. Racing 92 believes that the club is a victim of blatant fraud which Johan Goosen, his associates and various advisers must answer for in court.

"Various civil proceedings will be taken out, partly to obtain reimbursement of the advance payments made to Johan Goosen with regard to his image rights, and also to obtain compensation for the non-provision of services to which he had committed in this domain.

"A complaint will also be laid with the French Industrial Tribunal in order to prosecute the player’s fraudulent and wrongful failure to fulfil his contractual obligations and to compensate the resulting significant damage for the club.

"A criminal complaint will also be filed, as the open-ended employment contract produced by Johan Goosen and signed by one of his friends and business associates appears to constitute a phony document, given that it is not conceivable that a player put an end to his sporting career while at the peak of such career, and accept a position in a South African company for a salary ten times less than what he was earning as a rugby player at Racing 92."

The statement continued: "Full light must be shed on the responsibility of the various people who advised Johan Goosen in taking this aberrant and fraudulent strategy, and to this extent, there are grounds for wondering how Johan Goosen is being supported financially given the numerous commitments and investments he has to meet."

Image rights. WTF? Wasn't image rights also behind the ugly spat between Frans Steyn and SARU? That's the problem with these players, they think the sun shines from you know where. If this really is a case of Goosen trying to get out of a club simply to earn even more at another club, then Racing should burn him in court. This little twat should've stayed in SA when he was something like 20yrs old and touted to be the next best thing. Instead he chased $$$ overseas and gave SA the middle finger. Kry vir jou...

Unbelievable. Maybe easy for me to criticize because I never was, not will ever be, in a situation to deal with money of that order of magnitude

• 4 weeks later...

So seems AC is here to stay. At least until after the French internationals. Sigh... It's going to be another tough year for bok supporters. I just hope everyone vote with their feet and wallets, and don't attend bok matches or buy any merchandise! That'll wake saru up!

In my honest opinion is there waaaayyyy too much Rugby, season is too long.

I did not even follow the Super Rugby last year as intently as I normally do.

Lost interest halfway through.

I only watch the 6 Nations final, the cheer girls at the Varsity cup, Super rugby knock-out phases and the bok internationals

Agreed.Far too much.Dont even watch the internationals really anymore. Become boring

Crickets going the same way.Apart from 5 day tests.And as for the IPL etc,dont even bother.

agreed. I hardly watch any rugby (or any other sport) anymore. It's like being served your favourite food every day 3 time a day. Eventually you'll get sick of it.