Rugby...

'Dale

wow, from being champions in 2016 to  possible relegation in 2018. things move quickly

Kinda not fair when they have to play in 2 competitions simultaneously.

• Replies 7.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

you woke up at 5am to check that?!!

onto it!

Bliksem, the sharks bossed that game. Played proper finals rugby.

I had a look at the log, and weepee won their games by an average of 22 points, never even gave away a losing bonus point. but while that counts for nought when you get to the knockouts, it is a good sign that the team and setup are in a good place.

with loads of springbok talent on both sides not playing, it was still awesome to see the depth of the squads producing a real arm wrestle of a game. And the wp/natal rivalry is the one that's defining the decade

vive le Currie Cup.

I agree big time Shebeen. Was a really cracker Currie Cup season. Good rugby throughout. Finals often a different reflection of the buildup games.

First I have to worry about my poor Cheetahs playing their Currie Cup promotion/relegation match on Tues at 18h00 versus SWD Eagles.

Yes but what a farce. Whole season they plod around in the CC with their 2nd team contributing nothing to the comp. Then in the play-off they play their strongest team. Only to repeat the farce next season? What a pointless excercise by Saru/Cheetahs..

Yes but what a farce. Whole season they plod around in the CC with their 2nd team contributing nothing to the comp. Then in the play-off they play their strongest team. Only to repeat the farce next season? What a pointless excercise by Saru/Cheetahs..

Hangover from culling Cheetahs out of Super Rugby to accommodate a Japanese team. And the obsession of wanting to include Kings in Super Rugby too, at the time. So they both had to go as a compromise.

Irony is that both EP and FS have excellent schoolboy rugby feeder systems, only for the stronger unions and now even foreign clubs to poach the talent.

A change of the guard, and yes, farcical.  

Hangover from culling Cheetahs out of Super Rugby to accommodate a Japanese team. And the obsession of wanting to include Kings in Super Rugby too, at the time. So they both had to go as a compromise.

Irony is that both EP and FS have excellent schoolboy rugby feeder systems, only for the stronger unions and now even foreign clubs to poach the talent.

A change of the guard, and yes, farcical.  

I think it's more that the FS and EC schools offer boarding facilities for boys from the major centres, rather than a genuine feeder system. If they were all locals (born in Bloem/PE) then I would say yes to a good feeder system.

They go to good rugby playing schools, then return home, and perhaps play for a different province if they're well above par.

I think it's more that the FS and EC schools offer boarding facilities for boys from the major centres, rather than a genuine feeder system. If they were all locals (born in Bloem/PE) then I would say yes to a good feeder system.

They go to good rugby playing schools, then return home, and perhaps play for a different province if they're well above par.

Good point.

But if, for example, you come through the Grey (school), Shimlas (Varsity Cup) and Cheetahs (Currie Cup) sausage machine by age 23, chances are you will be bought by another province for Super Rugby and then possible Springbok selection.

But if the sausage machine stops before Currie Cup, chances are the sausage machine will no longer be the feeder it used to be for SA rugby. 

I really do hope the Cheetahs win tonight - nothing against SWD Eagles.

Not to bash you personally but anyone with half a brain cell could have predicted that the Cheetahs competing in the CC and Pro 14 simultaneously would be a disaster. What is going to be different next year?

For me (in the short term at least) it makes more sense for the Cheetahs to have a team that play second division and first try to get off the bottom of the log in the Pro 14 first. The CC would also probably be better if the Cheetahs is replaced by a union that only focuses on the CC.

Longer term I would have liked the Cheetahs and Griquas work together to have a competitive team in the Pro 14 & CC - but I guess that is just a pipe dream so onwards to next year with more of the same Cheetah bashing in the Pro 14 & CC.

Good point.

But if, for example, you come through the Grey (school), Shimlas (Varsity Cup) and Cheetahs (Currie Cup) sausage machine by age 23, chances are you will be bought by another province for Super Rugby and then possible Springbok selection.

Yip, agree 100% on that feeder system.

Good point.

But if the sausage machine stops before Currie Cup, chances are the sausage machine will no longer be the feeder it used to be for SA rugby. 

Well done to the Cheetahs on their victory - doubly deserved that they stay in the Currie Cup after being shafted by SA Rugby.

Not to bash you personally but anyone with half a brain cell could have predicted that the Cheetahs competing in the CC and Pro 14 simultaneously would be a disaster. What is going to be different next year?

For me (in the short term at least) it makes more sense for the Cheetahs to have a team that play second division and first try to get off the bottom of the log in the Pro 14 first. The CC would also probably be better if the Cheetahs is replaced by a union that only focuses on the CC.

Longer term I would have liked the Cheetahs and Griquas work together to have a competitive team in the Pro 14 & CC - but I guess that is just a pipe dream so onwards to next year with more of the same Cheetah bashing in the Pro 14 & CC.

As was predicted, the Cheetahs currently lack the depth and budget to field two competitive teams in two premier competitions at the same time. But given the proximity to successful junior teams and the wealth of coaching knowledge, I'm hoping there's an opportunity to retain young talent and just as importantly attract emerging talent. This was year one of the experiment. It will take another season or two to gain some momentum. The Union needs the revenues from both competitions if they want to retain and attract talent. 

Enough now about the Sharks.... 

Hehehe

Let's preview the Bokkies vs the Roses

Enough of the Cheetahs already. Now we can focus on the Bokke! 

Hopefully PSdT stays at 7 for Saturday . I reckon he’s going to be a big time legend there.

LdJ and EE starting locks

Hopefully PSdT stays at 7 for Saturday . I reckon he’s going to be a big time legend there.

LdJ and EE starting locks

Steph will start at 5 and Dwayne at 7 with Whiteley at 8. I think Lood will come on at 5 with 30 min or so to go

pfffff Angus f***** Gardner... 

my dislike for Jones and the poms have reached an unknown level.

How we didnt put this team away is beyond me.

Marx once again had a very average day in finding his jumpers for about the 3 or 4th game this season.