All things Colnago

StevieL

I (usually) try to look at it like this: Frame, wheels, groupset, components - each to make up approximately 25 % of the total - that should give you a nicely balanced bike. But that's just me. If you have a wheel (or whatever) fetish, then spend more money there. :)

this 25% thing is close to spot on on this bike

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The crankset you have there is later version with red 11 decals. The groupset you have was limited to 2009-2011. Here is a period correct crankset for sale if it fancies you.

https://www.bikehub.co.za/classifieds/322273-campagnolo-super-record-crank-set/

it really doesn't bother me at all Cippo - if i was doing it right then this groupset shouldn't even be on the bike - As an aside, I have bought from that seller before, very pleasant dealings but not sure how much knowledge he has as the "perfect" cassette had to be replaced.  Was a good deal and I don't hold him responsible.  Seller of the mixed super record was completely above board and the stuff works beautifully - maybe one day I will sort out the crank but I'm not a roadie and somehow now have to ride 2 colnagos and the bike that shall not be mentioned.  Time to stop spending - A few months ago I didn't know what Colnago was and Campy was stuff that didn't work on mountain bikes.  Now I'm bankrupt

Edited by Waynemol

it really doesn't bother me at all Cippo - if i was doing it right then this groupset shouldn't even be on the bike - As an aside, I have bought from that seller before, very pleasant dealings but not sure how much knowledge he has as the "perfect" cassette had to be replaced. Was a good deal and I don't hold him responsible. Seller of the mixed super record was completely above board and the stuff works beautifully - maybe one day I will sort out the crank but I'm not a roadie and somehow now have to ride 2 colnagos and the bike that shall not be mentioned. Time to stop spending - A few months ago I didn't know what Colnago was and Campy was stuf that didn't work on mountain bikes. Now I'm bankrupt

If ever you wanna get into gravel bikes Campy makes a gorgeous hydraulic disc brake groupset #justputtingitoutthere

This is a another thread on its own - as a guy who has safe access to a 450km forestry gravel network I can confirm that gravel bikes are a fun hoax if you have money to burn - in my opinion and experience - just sold my beautiful fun gravel bike because a hardtail works better and faster (for me)

Edited by Waynemol

The crankset you have there is later version with red 11 decals. The groupset you have was limited to 2009-2011. Here is a period correct crankset for sale if it fancies you.

https://www.bikehub.co.za/classifieds/322273-campagnolo-super-record-crank-set/

Quite right Cippo, the crankset I got with the C59 had heel scuffs right through the paint and clearcoat so I sold that off and picked up the SR11 non-Ti to go with it as there were no 2009-2011 versions available.

This is what my Colnago C59 did to me 2 weeks ago on our first right after I changed her groupset.

1. Damage to bike - slight chip of 1cm x 0.5cm on left shifter and scuff to shifter hood. Had to get both wheels trued but no other damage.
  2. Damage to me - Collar bone broken into 4 pieces with the main break diagonally down the middle forming 2 chisels. Spent Saturday and Sunday sitting in an armchair at home with my muscle being ground between two pieces of bone. Had to return to casualty on Sunday to have my titanium wedding ring cut of to return circulation to my damaged ring finger - wife now REALLY wants to advertise 2 Colnago's and a YT Jeffsy for sale on the hub. Went in for surgery on Monday and have a 16cm scar and the hospital's longest clavicle plate to date to show for my efforts.

I think the bike won, thank the little baby J....  :rolleyes:

post-50555-0-94492600-1535054303_thumb.png

it really doesn't bother me at all Cippo - if i was doing it right then this groupset shouldn't even be on the bike - As an aside, I have bought from that seller before, very pleasant dealings but not sure how much knowledge he has as the "perfect" cassette had to be replaced.  Was a good deal and I don't hold him responsible.  Seller of the mixed super record was completely above board and the stuff works beautifully - maybe one day I will sort out the crank but I'm not a roadie and somehow now have to ride 2 colnagos and the bike that shall not be mentioned.  Time to stop spending - A few months ago I didn't know what Colnago was and Campy was stuff that didn't work on mountain bikes.  Now I'm bankrupt

Wayne, I just saw you said you had to replace the cassette. You should've contacted me, I'm happy to swap you for one of the other two I have in the drawer, that was the newest of all cassette's I had so it should've been perfect but as I use the SR 11-25/26 cassettes, I had not actually ridden that wider range one - what was wrong with it and let me know if you want me to send another down.

Edited by Nakoota

This is what my Colnago C59 did to me 2 weeks ago on our first right after I changed her groupset.

1. Damage to bike - slight chip of 1cm x 0.5cm on left shifter and scuff to shifter hood. Had to get both wheels trued but no other damage.
  2. Damage to me - Collar bone broken into 4 pieces with the main break diagonally down the middle forming 2 chisels. Spent Saturday and Sunday sitting in an armchair at home with my muscle being ground between two pieces of bone. Had to return to casualty on Sunday to have my titanium wedding ring cut of to return circulation to my damaged ring finger - wife now REALLY wants to advertise 2 Colnago's and a YT Jeffsy for sale on the hub. Went in for surgery on Monday and have a 16cm scar and the hospital's longest clavicle plate to date to show for my efforts.

Been there, done that, except it was the brute of a Trance that threw me into a tree! This far my Colnagos have always behaved like gentlemen. :thumbup:

Repairing it with a plate & screws is by far the quickest way to get out of pain and back to normal life and riding. There is a few threads about broken collar bones where you'll find lots of cycling specific advice. Try searching.

• Damage to bike - slight chip of 1cm x 0.5cm on left shifter and scuff to shifter hood. Had to get both wheels trued but no other damage.
  • Damage to me - Collar bone broken into 4 pieces with the main break diagonally down the middle forming 2 chisels. Spent Saturday and Sunday sitting in an armchair at home with my muscle being ground between two pieces of bone. Had to return to casualty on Sunday to have my titanium wedding ring cut of to return circulation to my damaged ring finger - wife now REALLY wants to advertise 2 Colnago's and a YT Jeffsy for sale on the hub. Went in for surgery on Monday and have a 16cm scar and the hospital's longest clavicle plate to date to show for my efforts.

Heal up soon bru. Now your bike has some battle scars and a story to tell.

Wayne, I just saw you said you had to replace the cassette. You should've contacted me, I'm happy to swap you for one of the other two I have in the drawer, that was the newest of all cassette's I had so it should've been perfect but as I use the SR 11-25/26 cassettes, I had not actually ridden that wider range one - what was wrong with it and let me know if you want me to send another down.