Chapmans Peak Toll Plaza

Red Zone

I think it looks ok, I would prefer it if it wasn't going to be there, but that horse is dead so there is no purpose in flogging it further

post-1424-0-79540000-1330002498.jpg

The first pic is looking from the Noordhoek Side towards Hout Bay

post-1424-0-21498500-1330002597.jpg

Second pick is looking from the Hout Bay side towards Noordhoek.

The building nestles quite sensitively in the old quarry

Edited by Foe Fighter

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I think its fine

What's the big moan about?

Quite agree. Surely looks a thousand times better than those hideous green shipping containers they are using at present.

What are the chances of them trying to charge cyclist now!

Yeah well, if cyclists continue to behave as if the whole roadway of Chappies belongs to them exclusively, quite good I would say. It would be one way to reduce the number of cyclists on Chappies, as most would not pay to use the road.

Any news on the lady hunger striker?

Saw her 2 weeks ago nearly and she was looking good. I doubt shre is feeling so upbeat now. I did offer her my 32gi seeing as though she was drinking. Clearly she doesn't frequent TheHub to see what a good product it is else she would have grabbed it!

Seriously though, I hope she doesn't end up pegging over a building on Chappies.

Last I heard she stopped the hunger strike to go even more extreme. Planned to handcuff herself into the excavation to prevent them from pouring the concrete. Heard that "someone" (might be her) got arrested for some silly reason, but the court threw the case out (or released her on bail, not sure which)

What are the chances of them trying to charge cyclist now!

The proposal has bike bypass lanes, a little like the existing system, but with sharp metal spikes that shoot up and spear anyone who is riding with white shorts, euro kit or a saddle bag.

I agree with Wannabe; if so many Cyclists continue to behave like Chappies belongs to them the toll fees will come.

amazing that people who care so much about this put so much trust in a really bad cape times article, but couldn't bother to read the facts. suppose they all LOVe the sight of shipping containers and acorn toilets

12:19, Feb 15, Ms. Beth Richardson, South Africa

Chappies is too beautiful to build offices on and its completely unnecessary. Can't imagine whose interest this would be in. would be interesting to know ...

14:29, Feb 15, Mr. Neil Frye, South Africa

I'm afraid that this has not gone through the proper channels and no matter how much it will cost stakeholders, it will cost the city and we citizens much more than just R25m.

00:48, Feb 16, Ms. Suzette Swart, South Africa

I cannot believe that this has been OK'd and all for money. I cannot see any other benefit to Cape Tonians, visitors to our city and the newly listed wonder of the world, Table Mountain. Respect is what we need......

21:21, Feb 15, Mr. Ian Summs, South Africa

Build education, not office blocks the people of this country don't need or will ever use. Mother natures gifts are irreplaceable.

03:37, Feb 16, Mrs. Linda Mary Carnell, South Africa

NO! NO! Another unnecessary building that will stick out like a sore thumb!

23:15, Feb 16, Mrs. Alison Effting, South Africa

Paving Paradise to put up an Office Block???? Find a more eco-friendly solution please!

00:48, Feb 17, Niki Dunckley, South Africa

HANDS OFF MOTHER NATURE. WE DO NOT WANT OR NEED THIS VIOLATION OF OUR MOUNTAIN AND NATIONAL PARK. MORE THAN ENOUGH DESTRUCTION HAS BEEN WREAKED IN THE NAME OF CORPORATE GREED. NOW IS THE TIME TO STAND FOR A VISION OF A FUTURE INFORMED BY THE PRINCIPLES OF SUSTAINABILITY, COMMUNITY, AN HONORING OF THE SACRED IN ALL LIFE. BE THE CHANGE AND LEAVE A LEGACY THAT CAN BE CELEBRATED FOR ITS SENSITIVITY AND CARE, NOT ABHORED FOR ITS SELFISH DESTRUCTIVENESS AND ARROGANT PROFITEERING.

03:25, Feb 20, Ms. Louise Burger, South Africa

I cannot understand how this can even be considered. More greedy people who feel nothing for the greater good of the country and are only interested in more money in their greedy little palms. Shame on you. This is one of the most beautiful areas in the Cape.

23:55, Feb 19, Mr. MIKE ALBERTS, South Africa

Please leave our mountain alone....build the office in Hout Bay proper....I SAY NO TO DEVELOPMENT ON CHAPPIES

22:48, Feb 19, barbara louw, South Africa

In the name of democracy please stop! This is a travesty of justice to the people of South Africa and the world----this is a world heritage site!

20:07, Feb 19, Mrs. Wendy Paterson, South Africa

Please spend our hard earned tax money on something relevant like schools and clinics which are in desparate need.

21:29, Feb 19, Mrs. Anne McKeag, South Africa

A dangerous precedent to build on National Parks Land

02:22, Feb 21, Mr. mickey mouse, Antarctica

this petition is a joke, shows how little anyone here understands on the process.

10:43, Feb 20, Mrs. ROBIN HIRSCH, United Kingdom

I lived and worked in Capetown for a number of years and love the glory of the Western Cape. Do not denegrate its natural beauty so that future generations cannot enjoy it as much as I was free to do. ROBIN HIRSCH

08:36, Feb 20, Mr. nicholas sher, CA

Really, someone needs to develop this area? Really? Why destroy one of the most beautiful areas in Cape Town? Can we just leave the rest of this gorgeous area alone?

06:09, Feb 20, Name not displayed, South Africa

I think this is absolutely disgusting that they need to build an office block on Chappies! Hout Bay is the same amount of distance from the toll to the building site... as from the toll to where they'd be able to have offices in a business area! In a National Park this seriously shouldn't be allowed! There are so many people, within 50km radius where our money could be better spent. This is a typical FAT CATS society... It is not what you know but who you know. On a second point... personal point... I'm at the moment struggling with getting my plans approved to build a double garage... How is it at all possible that council could have approved these plans in the first place! There are far too many people objecting to this building ... so therefore... everything should be halted on any building... What's good for the goose is good for the gander! It's disgusting!

04:04, Feb 20, Mr. Adrian Venter, South Africa

It would be disgusting if a naitional treasure that should be for everyone's enjoyment and remain unspoilt, is developed to satisfy the greed of a few.

12:31, Feb 18, Ms. Trisha Lord, South Africa

There is absolutely NO justification for this development, and there is only a TINY number of people who think it is a good idea as opposed to a VAST majority who do not. Spend the money on houses for the poor, hospitals and education instead.

10:35, Feb 18, Mr. Peter Hundermark, South Africa

This development is an outrage and surely crosses many moral, ethical and legal boundaries.

03:22, Feb 22, Mr. Rodney Scholtz, South Africa

This is just wrong. Raping your own landscape heritage for a few greedy individuals rent free nogal... Sies man! Is DA is becoming the 'lite' version of the ANC? Sies! Build houses or create jobs rather!

02:29, Feb 22, Ms. Gail Evans, South Africa

This is destroying our heritage in the name of corporate power.

09:55, Feb 21, Name not displayed, Germany

Chappies has been one of my absolute favourite spots in this world for over 40 years now. Stop ruining the magic and the overwhelming beauty of this place for the sake of a fast buck !

06:13, Feb 21, Ms. Fiona Cummings, South Africa

Chapmans Peak is part of the Table Mountain Nature Reserve which has become a WORLD HERITAGE SITE. Who has the right to destroy this beautiful part of our country which is home to many species of fauna and flora. NO ! I say NO ! to any building on this our NAURAL HERITAGE...

Must say now that I have seen the pictures it doesn't seem so bad but before that I was a little concerned.