Nuwater Cyclist - litter

geecee

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

There was a Nuwater rider who ditched his gu wrapper, but it wasn't Jaco Venter. It was the chap that was part of the original 4 man breakaway (which at that time did not contain Jaco Venter), which was later caught. Unless Mr Venter also threw his gel wrapper and I missed that. I saw an MTN rider put his used container into his back pocket. If MTN can do it, so too can Nuwater

What irks me is the lengths the organisers go towards requesting people not to litter and the top guys think they are too important to heed these requests. Wasn't there an add about how the baboons eat the plastic at some point in time?

I'm sure there were thousands of others doing the same, but they aren't pros and they didn't transgress in front of a tv camera. I hope the rider's team has a few words with him.

apologies to Jaco if this in fact wasnt him, topic has been amended. was definately a Nuwater rider that was in the original breakaway 4

If you can take it out your pockets on the ride then you can put the wrapper back in and dispose of it later ! Roadies are ....................... !!!!!! Fill in the blanks

At Sani2C you are DQed if anyone sees you litter !!!!

Not fair at all,I'm both a roadie and a mtbiker but recently more into mtbiking.Done my first real big event last year, the Trans Baviaans, and never in a cycling event have I witness such amount of litter on some points of the route.I think it goes both ways and rather focus on the tjop littering rather then what kind of bike their riding.

Running would be difficult as you don't have pockets to put the empty water packets into.

I've manned WP and i don't mind the runner/cyclist throwing their water packets, empty cups, goo wrappers down at or near the WP, its when they take it and throw it 2 to 3km away that gets to me.

The problem with a 100+km race is that riders won't only throw it 2 or 3km away, but it can be anywhere in between the waterpoints.

Runners mostly drink and eat at waterpoints, but those neat take-out-dont-put-back-in pockets on cycling shirts allow riders to throw away gels anywhere over 100km

There was a Nuwater rider who ditched his gu wrapper, but it wasn't Jaco Venter. It was the chap that was part of the original 4 man breakaway (which at that time did not contain Jaco Venter), which was later caught. Unless Mr Venter also threw his gel wrapper and I missed that. I saw an MTN rider put his used container into his back pocket. If MTN can do it, so too can Nuwater

What irks me is the lengths the organisers go towards requesting people not to litter and the top guys think they are too important to heed these requests. Wasn't there an add about how the baboons eat the plastic at some point in time?

I'm sure there were thousands of others doing the same, but they aren't pros and they didn't transgress in front of a tv camera. I hope the rider's team has a few words with him.

Baboons dont eat plastic.They eat whats inside

Give them a bit of credit!

I thought that a portion of the R300 we pay to enter this race goes to job creation? I indirectly pay someone to clean up after me. SO actually the more I litter, the more jobs I create :w00t: :w00t: So strictly speaking on that day I can leave a turd in the middle of the road if I want to and they must clean it?

:eek:

Technically taking a dump in the road isn't littering, although I'm sure it's an arrestable offense, especially if you're on TV with your sponsor's logos around your ankles.

picked up 3 gu and one vooma and 2 tubes on meerendal yesterday.not good people.

Did not realize the wind was that freeking hectic yesterday, its like 45km from the Argus to Meerendal!!!

picked up 3 gu and one vooma and 2 tubes on meerendal yesterday.not good people.

Did not realize the wind was that freeking hectic yesterday, its like 45km from the Argus to Meerendal!!!

I hope the rider's team has a few words with him.

Don't hold your breath.

I'm certain the MTN riders that abused the race organisers (diffrent race, but still it shows that these "pros" have no regard for the people that pay their salaries) recently had no words put in their ears.

Baboons dont eat plastic.They eat whats inside

Give them a bit of credit!

That was the whole crux of the ad. They were eating the plastic and it was causing all sorts of problems with their internals.

Just a question - pls dont jump on me.

I have done plenty of running in my time, and part of it has and always will be water sachets etc.

These are always just tossed to the floor once used, and as far as I know this is an acceptable practice as the organisers do a clean up on the route as part of the organisation and hence entry fee, club members time etc.

Is this not the same in cycling?

most runners only pick up food/water at waterpoints and they normally have big signs about 200m from the spot saying "no litter past this point".

it's a terrible habit, and it spills over to mtb where it is NOT OKAY. i tjoon everyone who drops something unnecessarily, at or near a water point is fine in my books.

That was the whole crux of the ad. They were eating the plastic and it was causing all sorts of problems with their internals.

Yes well we lived in Scarborough and got to know those baboons fairly well.In fact Eric and myself got to know each other quite well until he was shot.

From what I could see they were rather particular about what the ate.Seeing as he raided just about every refrigerator in our street and the rest of Scarbs

They semed pretty adept at opening packets etc and leaving them discarded all over the ground

Anyway lets have it the ads way.

It was interesting to read in the Cycle Tour magazine yesterday that they asked to try and not throw your waste on the ground, but if you have to get rid of it, throw it near the water points.