Fulcrum Vs Mavic Vs Easton Road Wheels

dee jay

I've had both the Fulcrum Racing 3 and the Mavic Ksyrium Elite. I'm currently riding on Mavics (because they came with my current bike).

I'd go with the Fulcrums first though. I did 30000 on the pair I had with no problems and no adjustment before I sold that bike.

As one of the other replies said, the Mavics are prone to needing the freewheel body to be cleaned out or replaced. Look up 'Ksyrium squeal of death' on Google for details. While not officially dangerous, the fright you get when your wheels start to squeal really, really loudly on a downhill at 70 km/h (and it usually happens on downhills) is enough to cause an accident. I thought my bike was going to explode. Other than that they're not bad though - I'm still using them.

I had some Eastons (a different model) for two weeks many years ago, but the rear hub kept getting loose and rattling, so I returned them. I believe this is less of a problem with the newer models though but ask around at the bike shops.

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I am an easton fan, rode 15000km on my curcit,s before upgrading to a set of ea90 slx,s. No problems at all with the curcuits, after a year (big km) on the easton ea90,s I have replaced the cassette, all the rear beaings and one snapped front spoke - all under warrenty by the importer. Love the wheels as they run true and smooth at a light weight.

I also upgraded to EA 90 SLXs last year. The ride is superb, love them. Was disappointed though that I had a rear spoke break inside first 1000kms. However, to counteract that the service from Omnico was excellent - fixed and back within a week. I'm just a little nervous now to put too much distance on them in case of more breakages, tend to just put them on for races and train on my old Shimano RH-500s. That's probably crazy though, I should just put them back on and run up the kilos on them.

Lots of love for the Fulcrums, I see... and they certainly do look the part as well.

Definitely leaning towards a set of those :thumbup:

Mavic's are great but they an unofficial weight limit.

So if you a big guy condiser maybe the Fulcrum's.

IMO the Mavic's you looking at are for better than the Fulcrum's you looking at.

I bought a set of Fulcrum Racing 3s about four years ago. I had endless problems until Fulcrum kindly agreed to rebuild both wheels. Since then they have been reliable. I do notice that the aero spokes often turn in, necessitating regularly facing them in the right direction. I weigh 95kg.

I recently bought a set of Easton EA90Aeros. They are incredibly stiff and I'm really happy with them. They are about 50mm in depth, and do not seem to be affected by wind. Definitely the best wheels I've owned.

I have had Ksyriums on my training bike for three years They have been bullet-proof. Their handling does come close to the Easton's or Fulcum's.

Edited by speedracer

IMO the Mavic's you looking at are for better than the Fulcrum's you looking at.

Yip!

Actually there is a weight limit for the Fulcrums. This from the Fulcrum Racing 3 Owners Manaul:

post-28936-0-67268000-1332692745.jpg

Sorry, PDF is protected, so cannot copy & paste

Edited by HEman

Actually there is a weight limit for the Fulcrums. This from the Fulcrum Racing 3 Owners Manaul:

post-28936-0-67268000-1332692745.jpg

Sorry, PDF is protected, so cannot copy & paste

That is the default disclaimer on every Campganolo product. I'm not sure if it is enforced because I've never had any warranty issues with Campag products.

• 4 years later...

i know this thread is 4 years old but currently have the same dilemma.

Am looking at one of the following wheelsets

• Easton EC90 SL
  • Fulcrum R3
  • Mavic Ksyrium Elite
  • Shimano RS81C35

Over 4 years wheel technology has changed quite a bit. Any advice at all on the current models?

i know this thread is 4 years old but currently have the same dilemma.

Am looking at one of the following wheelsets

• Easton EC90 SL  -   
  • Fulcrum R3  
  • Mavic Ksyrium Elite
  • Shimano RS81C35

Over 4 years wheel technology has changed quite a bit. Any advice at all on the current models?

any of the other three but Easton - warranty just plain non existant