How profitable is the Epic for Kevin Vermaak (really)?

how do we go about getting a roadie version for this ... oh wait, roadies are sof .... lets not go there. :nuke:

but in all seriousness, why is there not a roadie version ?

Now, there's a question...

:-)

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

how do we go about getting a roadie version for this ... oh wait, roadies are sof .... lets not go there. :nuke:

but in all seriousness, why is there not a roadie version ?

I think this type of marquee event would be nigh on impossible to put on in South Africa as a road event. Too many social, logistical and administrative issues. Look at the Tour of SA.

Plus the attraction for the international visitors is all about the bush. I think they'd be much less interested if you told them they had to ride around on SA roads for a week.

Another thing about the Epic that would not translate well to a road event : it's about both the pro's and the back markers. That would never work for a road event.

Im a Financial Markets head hunter - dont always believe the hype

My brother is in finance in the UK. They still do make tons of cash. Even with all that recession mumbo jumbo the guys were coining it. Sure, there were some guys who lost a lot of money, some jobs & opportunities disappeared but don't think for a second that the okes are cap in hand at the boss' desk looking for some extra dosh to finance the new german/italian vehicle.

If KV makes a bucket load of cash - good on you fella! He identified an oppurtunity & had the balls to go for it. Honest hard work, persistence & initiative deserves reward plus he is not punting it as a charity event. I have yet to hear anybody complain about that Zuckerberg laaitie and his pot of gold...

If he makes a lot, good on him!!

If he doesn`t he should!!

He puts up a pretty spectacular event, and I don`t think it came without it blood, sweat and tears

Hey guys

IMO, wondering what he makes of the Epic, is like a stranger coming to you and the first thing they as is;

"Hey, how much did your bike cost???"

Well, I think it is bad manners, and my answer to this is usually;

"None of your business..."

Hi Guys,

I know we can all do the simple maths. Y teams x Z fee = turnover. he obviously sells TV rights, get sponsorship money etc.

But I assume he has massive costs to run the race, organise it, logistics, marketing and so on, plus he has the overheads for himself for an entire year between races plus other salaries, costs, travel and so on.

How profitable do you think the Epic is really for him over the duration of each full year?

Does it really matter as long as the race continues year after year?

23 millions profit :whistling: as heard from a friend, of a friend... of a "friend"

but as everyone else says, good for him, job well done & may the Epic continue

forever.

Edited by HandH

Regardless of what he makes i think he runs a good ship and wish him many many more years of it , as i said i think he has a very cool job.

Simple maths... 600 teams x R39,800 (yes thats the price for 2013) = +R23.9 million

Sponsorships = +R13million

TV rights and advertising = +R???

Less prize money of -R700k

Less operating costs of say -R15m

Food etc mostly sponsored so would put it at a profit of R21m??

Not bad!!

But good for him, niche mkt etc and a race well done and marketed. So cudos, wish i had thought of it.

Edited by Paulst12

According to the article they operated on a loss the first few years. They are making a profit now, but probably not as much as you think. There are a lot of costs involved, paying the people that help out, etc.

Evidently now that the tent village only moves 2-3 times and the route is a loop of the local area the costs dropped quite a bit because there is no re-location every day.

So, if all the sponsorship and entry fees put this thing on the map from an international point of view, what went wrong with Cell C Tour of South Africa ?

Good for Kevin Vermaak if he earns big moola.

It is good to have South Africa on the map of MTB multi-stage racing.

Very cool!

100%, There are few things that SA can be proud of lately, excellence deserves it`s rewards!......Look at the flipside, pathetic SA sport admin, Cricket....Rugby being slowly destroyed by politics , the Soccer spaza shop (despite all the money being spent on it and the talent available!) ...Public healthcare, public service, the Police with it`s bloated ranks of illiterate corrupt and inept Colonels and Generals, an Army that riots, an Airforce that can`t fly planes,a sinking Navy..... `edukasiun`...etc. all of which makes mediocrity the norm in our happy welfare state.

Wrong... Worse... Volunteers have to pay to help... R3.5K!

I can vouch for that!! Mate of mine is riding an he paid R3.5 k fr wifey to "work" as a volunteer...

go figure...

Good for Kevin Vermaak if he earns big moola.

It is good to have South Africa on the map of MTB multi-stage racing.

Very cool!

100% ... As many if not all of the foreigners and locals here agree, there's an incredible amount of work going into this event. It's brutal to be sure, but volunteers, paid, paying and unpaid alike put a helluva lot in. Especially the fulltime staff.

As for the 'tv right' people need to inform themselves, the fact is that the Epic still has to pay to gert broadcast. If it's not soccer/cricket/rugby, you pay in this country to be broadcast.