Coffee machine

Also just wanted to ascertain if it was a trend. I know they value quality, hence I found it concerning.

• Replies 7.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Couldn't bitterness just be a dirty machine?

Could be a bad/old batch of beans, wrong grind, inexperienced barista, machine too hot or any one of many other factors.

I had a capp from WW in Cavendish Square on Sunday and it was perfectly acceptable.

While on this topic, anyone know how "old" WW's beans are? As the bags only supply a BB date and batch number.

I have a little Nespresso Pixie and have been very happy with the quality of the coffee that it makes. However, lately I find that especially the Decaffinato Intenso taste watery. It used to be very rich and strong. Could it be a bad batch of pods? Nespresso is renowned for their consistency. Or could it be the machine itself that is doing something wrong?

While on this topic, anyone know how "old" WW's beans are? As the bags only supply a BB date and batch number.

It is a hit and miss, unless their batch numbers are somehow related to a roast date. I have bought WW beans before, and they were fresh 1 or 2 times, but I got stale beans way too often.

I only buy from my local roaster now. The beans are never more than 5 days after roast date, and for the last year or so, they sell me 300g packets at 250g price. Seems like they overfill the packet if you are a regular customer.

It is amazing how easy it is to taste the difference between stale beans and fresh beans. I once bought beans 3 days after roast date from my local roaster. I made 3-4 delicious cups, and then we went on holiday for two weeks. I forgot the beans at home, and when we returned I made some coffee. No matter what I did it just did not taste the same. The above was when using Aeropress, I can only imagine that the difference will be far greater when you make espresso.

I have a little Nespresso Pixie and have been very happy with the quality of the coffee that it makes. However, lately I find that especially the Decaffinato Intenso taste watery. It used to be very rich and strong. Could it be a bad batch of pods? Nespresso is renowned for their consistency. Or could it be the machine itself that is doing something wrong?

Could be your taste buds are becoming more sophisticated. Time for a real machine?

Brian, that's been my approach of late as well. Their beans are cheaper yes, but I've also resorted to buying smaller quantities from my local roasters.

V12, Dirty Sanchez and I ordered from Cape Coffee Beans, They deliver from any roaster right to your door - free if your order is over R300. You get the beans 3-4 days after roast date as they don't keep stock. They only source when you order. Thats how I get my fresh beans. :)

www.capecoffeebeans.co.za

Could be your taste buds are becoming more sophisticated. Time for a real machine?

My poor bike budget will be shot! :D

It is a hit and miss, unless their batch numbers are somehow related to a roast date. I have bought WW beans before, and they were fresh 1 or 2 times, but I got stale beans way too often.

My situation: student still under my parents roof with a Saeco Syntia super auto machine. My father buys the WW beans which I really don't like.

I feel the same about the WW beans but lately our machine seems to taste the same irrespective of what bean you have put in, only the amount of crema differs.

About once a week I buy 250g Ugandan beans from Aroma Gourmet Coffee, this is only for my consumption as it is wasted on my father :whistling: . So the beans are always fresh but with my last two purchases, I haven't been able to differentiate between the WW beans and Aroma's. This could just be a coincidence though.

I have thoroughly cleaned the brew group which included removing and cleaning the group head screen. I also rinse the machine before and after making a cup by using the pre-ground function to run water through it. Despite all this it all tastes bitter with zero flavour profile (which it doesn't at Aroma.) I understand that one can't compare the quality of espresso between the super auto at home to a skilled barista behind a good machine. But in the past the flavours and complexity with the Syntia were more subtle by comparison but it at least tasted "the same".

Are there any theories as to what could be the cause? ie boiler temp, scaling or maybe the beans themselves not liking the particular (limited) grind settings?

Anyone buy coffee from the WW cafe lately? For me their coffee is becoming consistently bitter. Anyone else experience this?
glad I'm not the only one

post-48219-1400401586,6134.jpg

My wife bought some beans fro Truth Coffee for me. They are delicious. Great roasting job and very nice blend.

My situation: student still under my parents roof with a Saeco Syntia super auto machine. My father buys the WW beans which I really don't like.

I feel the same about the WW beans but lately our machine seems to taste the same irrespective of what bean you have put in, only the amount of crema differs.

About once a week I buy 250g Ugandan beans from Aroma Gourmet Coffee, this is only for my consumption as it is wasted on my father :whistling: . So the beans are always fresh but with my last two purchases, I haven't been able to differentiate between the WW beans and Aroma's. This could just be a coincidence though.

I have thoroughly cleaned the brew group which included removing and cleaning the group head screen. I also rinse the machine before and after making a cup by using the pre-ground function to run water through it. Despite all this it all tastes bitter with zero flavour profile (which it doesn't at Aroma.) I understand that one can't compare the quality of espresso between the super auto at home to a skilled barista behind a good machine. But in the past the flavours and complexity with the Syntia were more subtle by comparison but it at least tasted "the same".

Are there any theories as to what could be the cause? ie boiler temp, scaling or maybe the beans themselves not liking the particular (limited) grind settings?

Are you using filtered water?

Would be interesting to know how many coffee shops use filtered water, especially in Cape Town, where the water isn't really a problem.

Are you using filtered water?

Yes, reverse osmosis water filter.

But I figured out what my issue was a few ours ago, me. I wasn't paying attention to extraction time as I always stop the machine before the pre-set volume. Was making 34g espresso per 10g bean, turns out that the butter zone for the machine is around 11-12g espresso per 10g beans. Any more and it is bland, burnt and bitter. I just didn't realise that over time the shot just kept getting longer and longer until the point where I was with bad coffee. :blush:

Would be interesting to know how many coffee shops use filtered water, especially in Cape Town, where the water isn't really a problem.

The softness of the water isn't a problem, but it tastes like $&!#. Here in Gordon's Bay it even smells bad - we filter all the water we use for drinking, cooking etc. I remember reading somewhere that some Boland towns also have a problem with cysts (cryptosporidium and garda, IIRC) in their water. Yum!