Coffee machine

I'm sure that will be time well spent. I've been delaying something similar for myself in fact. Some good one on one time with a skilled barista to identify issues and refine technique.

• Replies 7.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

So, I am not really a heavyweight home barista, but I do appreviate a good espresso.

After reading a bit on Home-Barista forums over the last two years, I started to pinpoint my research towards a goo espresso only machine.

My research, time and again, led me to the Arrarex Caravel Manual Lever. There is a 150 page thread on the machine on Home-Barista:

http://www.home-barista.com/levers/arrarex-caravel-t5752.html

A few months ago I purchased one on Ebay from Italy. I refurbished the machine myself and replaced all the seals. I also machined a brass tamper which fits the filter basket perfectly.

We also have a Spong No1 grinder which have been in our family for as long as I can remember. I also got a nearly unused Spong No3 which my brother got from his in-laws. These grinders grind suprisingly fine and consistent.

http://www.home-barista.com/grinders/spong-coffee-mills-grinder-for-23rd-century-t16165.html

This machine is extremely forgiving. The open boiler design reduces overheating issues and the very narrow and deep basket is forgiving in terms of grind consistency.

I am still learning, but my espressos are already a lot better than what you will find at many coffee shops/bars.

post-4006-1406986009,5248.jpg

I took this photo about 30 seconds after completing the pull:

post-4006-1406986049,9978.jpg

So, I am not really a heavyweight home barista, but I do appreviate a good espresso.

After reading a bit on Home-Barista forums over the last two years, I started to pinpoint my research towards a goo espresso only machine.

My research, time and again, led me to the Arrarex Caravel Manual Lever. There is a 150 page thread on the machine on Home-Barista:

http://www.home-barista.com/levers/arrarex-caravel-t5752.html

A few months ago I purchased one on Ebay from Italy. I refurbished the machine myself and replaced all the seals. I also machined a brass tamper which fits the filter basket perfectly.

We also have a Spong No1 grinder which have been in our family for as long as I can remember. I also got a nearly unused Spong No3 which my brother got from his in-laws. These grinders grind suprisingly fine and consistent.

http://www.home-barista.com/grinders/spong-coffee-mills-grinder-for-23rd-century-t16165.html

This machine is extremely forgiving. The open boiler design reduces overheating issues and the very narrow and deep basket is forgiving in terms of grind consistency.

I am still learning, but my espressos are already a lot better than what you will find at many coffee shops/bars.

Beautiful!

The caraval is a beautiful lever machine!!

So i think that makes 2 of us on the forum with lever machines!

Welcome!

Lovely... but what's the thing behind it, that looks like an aerial connected to it by a cable. Does the software update automatically from the cloud? Does it report you to the barista police if you pull too hard? Is it to protect you from lightning? I'm dying to know...

Lovely... but what's the thing behind it, that looks like an aerial connected to it by a cable. Does the software update automatically from the cloud? Does it report you to the barista police if you pull too hard? Is it to protect you from lightning? I'm dying to know...

Haha, no it is just a Wika stainless steel food grade thermometer which I put in the boiler to check the temperatures at which the thermostat turns on and off. It is an old unit from our plant which I have replaced with an RTD and display.

Nespresso is the first one that comes to my mind.

And then Lavazza (I bought an old model a while ago and really like it)

They both use pods which come in different strengths and blends

Nespresso, believe me once you have one you will be hooked. They also deliver to your door....

http://www.home-bari...avel-t5752.html

http://www.home-bari...ury-t16165.html

That is a thing of beauty!

Not all of us are fans of Nespresso.

Cost of machine 10/10

Convenience 10/10

Cost of coffee 0/10

Quality of coffee 0/10

Fun. 0/10

FTFY

Not all of us are fans of Nespresso.

Cost of machine 8/10

Convenience 10/10

Cost of coffee 5/10

Quality of coffee 5/10

Fun. 2/10

+1

Edit:

I do pop into a @home on Saturdays or Sundays for a tester if I'm in the area though

Edited by Oxter

Does anyone have an Aeropress that they're willing to offload for a (not so high) price? Really getting the moer in with sub standard plungers that let all manner of gumpf through their filters.

Does anyone have an Aeropress that they're willing to offload for a (not so high) price? Really getting the moer in with sub standard plungers that let all manner of gumpf through their filters.

How much you wanna spend?