Boast about your latest purchases here...

camerons

Wheels for my tandem.

55mm 36 hole laced with Sapim CX-Ray and brass nipples to the original DT Swiss tandem hubs. Schwalbe Pro One tubeless mounted with American Classic 25mm tubeless tape and Geax liquid. 80mm valve removable core stems with anti rattle.

@carbon29er    Interesting going tubeless on a road tandem... What pressure will you be riding them at?

• Replies 16.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

So this pulled into the living room... and some fast shoes to accompany her

Ooooooooooooooh.............. Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah............

Any additional import costs locally after the device cost and shipping cost?

10% apart from vat and duties

10% apart from vat and duties

What was the total costs to your door if I may ask?  And was this for the device only or bundle?

it is the bundle R3527.03 each free shipping 7 to 14 days and then 14% vat when landed.

i think i goes for +- 6500 to 7000 in SA, ok so R5000 saving for two. 

wasn't mine, but the figure is under R3500 not for full bundle, works out if you order more than one, so get a order going! evanscycles cheaper than most with the 520, currently R2,739.98 ex duties ex shipping

https://www.evanscycles.com/en-za/garmin-edge-520-EV250237

I bought one this morning from Evans, how was yours shipped? I paid £15 for shipping but they are not specific on the website. Edited by Knersboy

What do you think Garmin SA charges shops for a 520?

Garmin SA needs to make margin GP 40% on what they get it for and then the retailer needs 40%= +- R6500 to R7000 to the customer.  

The thing I love about cycling the most? Making your own solutions to occasional problems. The ghetto tubeless bomb.

attachicon.gifIMG_20161222_120350.jpg

Compressor is in storage but tubeless tyres still need to be mounted.

1 2.25l coke bottle, 1 removable core valve, 1 normal valve, 1m 6mm hose, 1 hose clamp, 1 6mm drill bit and a bit of silicon. Pinch hose. Connect hose to wheel. Pump to 100 psi. Unpinch hose. Listen to the pop as tubeless tyre sets.

Credits: Bike Radar

Nice! Also made one this weekend.

Used a piece of drain pipe as sleeve to fit the bottle in. Fits like a glove.

Sorry for high jacking this thread, but the hose was bought at Midas for R18post-7189-0-89707700-1482941223_thumb.jpgpost-7189-0-54200700-1482941268_thumb.jpgpost-7189-0-56699600-1482941412_thumb.jpgpost-7189-0-97303800-1482941431_thumb.jpg

garmin-edge-520-heart-rate-and-cadence-b

X2 from Evans Cycles R6000 saving  :clap:

How are the maps on these, particularly when your out in the wild?

From what I can find the normal roads are pretty good when you download the open street maps. 

How are the maps on these, particularly when your out in the wild?

From what I can find the normal roads are pretty good when you download the open street maps. 

if you haven't yet, google dcrainmaker, all you ever need to know on any garmin(training) device ever!

46d1096a1431a24a18e6c620425d4bcc.jpg

Finally took the plunge after reading so many "fix your own bike" comments

Besides for the savings (in the long run coz the tools and grease/lubes/oils cost a fortune), fixing your own bike is just more fun, and moerse therapeutic, especially after a long week at work! Edited by Grease_Monkey

@carbon29er    Interesting going tubeless on a road tandem... What pressure will you be riding them at?

Experimenting on first few rides shows 100psi at rear and 90psi in front seems best. Of course the advantage of tubeless come in hitting catseyes and not snakebiting. And being able to ride at 70psi but that is too low to start a race.

I'm comfortable to race tubeless tyres on proper tubeless rims on the tandem after messing around with tubeless tyres for past 4 years on all sorts of rims on my road bike.