Lance Armstrong Banned and Stripped of TDF Titles

101SCC

Guest Omega Man

Oh yeah that book, the one that has the same solidity as the one Malema will be writing on integrity thumbup1.gif

I'm loving the book. I know Tyler Hamilton doesn't exactly have a whole lot of credibility but it's a fascinating read. I strongly recommend anyone who's into cycling to give it a read.

I've also realized something about myself during the read. For me (and I hope all of you) the riders are just one of the elements that make the TDF so amazing. The tactics, the climbs, legendary places like Joux Plane and Ventoux. The scenery. I know come July I'll be glued to the television boring my wife about the tour.

Sad fact. I'll be in the Alps when the tour starts. In fact the Joux Plane tops out about 50m from the Les Gets jump park before it drops down into Morzine. Unfortunately by the time they head there I'll be back home.

Edited by Omega Man

• Replies 3.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

LA washing more poo off his face today - the dirt just keeps on getting dirtier ..

Former French Anti-Doping Agency (AFLD) boss Pierre Bordry has claimed that Lance Armstrong admitted to him that he had asked ex-French president Nicolas Sarkozy "for my head" following the American's return to racing in 2009.

Speaking to French news weekly Le Nouvel Observateur as part of their investigation into an alleged cover-up of Armstrong's doping, Bordry said: "Armstrong told me himself. He boasted to me that he had asked the president for my head."

Every time a new story emerges it occurs to me that if Armstrong hadn't been such a vain tit and had just STFU when the occasion called for it, he might have gotten away with his 7 tour heist.

Following Bordry's resignation from the AFLD in September 2010, Armstrong tweeted: "Au Revoir Pierre."

Au revoir indeed

http://www.cyclingne...ked-for-my-head

Edited by Lucky Luke.

LA washing more poo off his face today - the dirt just keeps on getting dirtier ..

Every time a new story emerges it occurs to me that if Armstrong hadn't been such a vain tit he might have gotten away with his 7 tour heist.

http://www.cyclingne...ked-for-my-head

And all that in exchange for a Madone…

And all that in exchange for a Madone…

Really? Sarkozy never struck me as a cheap date. Maybe he figured the PR would be good for him come election year. We know how that went.

Really? Sarkozy never struck me as a cheap date. Maybe he figured the PR would be good for him come election year. We know how that went.

The French love their freebies…

The bike in question:

post-1604-0-95990500-1353390878_thumb.jpg

The French love their freebies…

The bike in question:

post-1604-0-95990500-1353390878_thumb.jpg

meh

looks like a small. If it didn't fit him then it probably does today

• 2 weeks later...

It just gets worse and worse for poor old Tex

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/sports-illustrated-dubs-armstrong-anti-sportsman-of-the-year

Sports Illustrated dubs Armstrong 'Anti-Sportsman of the Year'

Lance Armstrong tops the list of names for Sports Illustrated's 'Anti-Sportsman of the Year' with British track cyclist Philip Hindes also nominated.

The American earned the title of 'Sportsman of the Year' in 2002, having won his fourth-straight Tour de France title. At the time, Armstrong dubbed it "the year of the team," with US Postal dominating the three-week race from start to finish.

With the culmination of the United States Anti-Doping Agency's investigation into Armstrong and his associates, and the handing down of the 'reasoned decision' document in October this year, light was finally shed on what was described as "the most sophisticated, professionalized and successful doping program that sport has ever seen". The UCI then backed USADA's decision to strip Armstrong of his seven Tour de France wins and the handing down of a lifetime ban for repeated anti-doping violations.

Sports Illustrated suggests that Armstrong have his 2002 award "revoked", saying that his legacy in the wake of evidence "crumbled faster than his steroid-fueled thighs used to take him up France's Pyrenees Mountains; former teammates admitted that not only had Armstrong constantly used steroids, but also that he practically forced his teammates to do the same. Not that he'll admit to any of it."

From Twitter (Jose Been dutch journalist)

Sir Philip Otton, Baroness Tanni Grey-Thompson and Malcolm Holmes QC to comprise Independent Commission looking into Lance Armstrong affair.

Who? Former Court of Appeal judge Sir Philip Otton, UK House of Lords Peer Baroness Tanni Grey-Thompson & Australian lawyer Malcolm Holmes.

McQuaid: “We will co-operate fully with Commission & provide them with whatever they need. We will listen to & act on its recommendations.”

The Commission (fully independent) has hearing in London between 9-26 April 2013. Report to the UCI by 1 June 2013, or shortly after.

McQuaid added: “Some of our critics have suggested that this Commission would not be fully independent. They were wrong.”

“Appointing these 3 eminent figures demonstrates that UCI wants to get to the bottom of the affair & put cycling back on the right track”

In coming two weeks, the UCI will also be announcing details of a wide-ranging Stakeholder Consultation to look into the future of cycling.

That's cycling sorted then I guess.

• 3 weeks later...

Sir Philip Otton, Baroness Tanni Grey-Thompson and Malcolm Holmes QC to comprise Independent Commission looking into Lance Armstrong affair.

McQuaid added: “Some of our critics have suggested that this Commission would not be fully independent. They were wrong.”

Independence is one thing, a mandate to investigate fully is an entirely different one.

With the end of the world imminent, TT had his final interview with the Guardian:

"The people are esteemed and well respected. Where we have concerns are the terms of reference, that they are overly narrow and seem to handcuff and blindfold. That's an obvious concern. " says Tygart.

http://www.guardian....lance-armstrong

Edited by eddy

D-day for Armstrong with Thursday the final day to appeal ban to CAS

Hamilton fears "Lance will hit back"

Thursday marks the final day in which Lance Armstrong can appeal to the Court of Arbitration for Sport after the UCI officially notified his lawyer of his disqualification of all results dating back to August 1, 1998 including his seven Tour de France titles.

The notice came on December 6, with Armstrong and his legal team given 21 days to appeal. Should no action be taken by Armstrong, the International Olympic Committee will then move to recover the bronze medal won by the American at the 2000 Olympic Games in Sydney.

At the same time, Tyler Hamilton says that he believes that the current silence from his former teammate is only temporary.

"You hear very little from Lance, but I think this will not be a permanent state," Hamilton told German magazine, Stern. "I fear Lance will hit back."

Hamilton was one of 11 former teammates to blow the whistle on the systematic doping within the U.S Postal team, spurred on firstly by the Jeff Novitzsky-led Federal investigation and then very publicly in his co-authored book, 'The Secret Race'.

While Armstrong challenged the United States Anti-Doping Agency's jurisdiction over "most sophisticated, professionalized and successful doping program that sport has ever seen," he chose not to fight the case against him. That lead to USADA issuing a lifetime ban.

"I think he is suffering terribly," continued Hamilton. "Lance is a very proud man, he believed, he was like an atlas and he could carry the world on his back and now everything is gone, the glory, the honor, it will be too much... Money, yes it personally cost him. It will tear Lance apart that he is not a hero anymore.

Edited by TNT1