AM tyres... what you running?

patches

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 month later...

I run the XR4 both front and rear. (Came stock with the bike)

Pretty decent all rounders. Would say there are better options for front tires, though still decent, but good rear. 

The only reason I haven't changed them is they just won't die. Tread is rather durable.

They do however want you to ride a bit higher PSI as sidewall deforms a bit easier than say maxxis. Sidewalls have help up well to abuse though.

Edited by Mr.GT

Tioga Glide G3 and Edge 22 Tires

CORE-bike-show-5538-600x400.jpgCORE-bike-show-5534-600x400.jpg

Tioga have been responsible for some of the most influential rubber in mountain biking; the Farmer John in the 80’s, the Psycho in the 90’s and the Factory DH took us into the ‘00’s. Since then, things have been quiet but with the Spring release of the Glide G3 and Edge 22, Tioga hope to get back in the game. The Glide G3 is pretty familiar and looks to have many features associated with some of our favourite tires but the front specific, Edge 22 tread pattern really stands out. The Edge 22 is designed to corner; the two active edges are designed to offer consistent grip as the bike transitions into corners, especially on flat corners with little support. Both tires suit hardpacked to loose conditions and will be available in 27.5 and 29 tubeless ready options.

Any recommendations - for a front, true to size, 29 x 2.6 mixed use, hard pack & wet but not necessarily muddy conditions. Grip over speed and weight and handle rock like a demon with the hide of an elephant. 0ptions Spez Eliminator grid (not true to size), currently run Butcher 27.5 x 3.0 and want to try something different. Schwalbe Nobby Nick (waiting for one which is going on the rear and slightly off true size), Maxxis Assegai (no stock and width is max 2.5), WTB Vigilante (local stock is non existent but true to size)...

Any recommendations - for a front, true to size, 29 x 2.6 mixed use, hard pack & wet but not necessarily muddy conditions. Grip over speed and weight and handle rock like a demon with the hide of an elephant. 0ptions Spez Eliminator grid (not true to size), currently run Butcher 27.5 x 3.0 and want to try something different. Schwalbe Nobby Nick (waiting for one which is going on the rear and slightly off true size), Maxxis Assegai (no stock and width is max 2.5), WTB Vigilante (local stock is non existent but true to size)...

Minion DHF 2.6. Mate of mine has em on his hardtail, and they're true to size. Bigger than a mary 2.35 / elim 2.6 / DHF 2.5 WT

• 8 months later...

So what's been good for a front tyre on our local WC hard / loose over hard / sandy conditions? Specifically Contermanskloof, Jonkers, Tokai and Hoogekraal?

WTB Convict has been stellar so far. 27.5x2.5

p4pb15595016.jpg

Looks good. Haven't used a WTB in ages but they seem to be getting good review recently. How does that one for rolling resistance? 

Looks good. Haven't used a WTB in ages but they seem to be getting good review recently. How does that one for rolling resistance? 

Why do you care about rolling resistance for a front tyre? :P

my 3 top tyres for the front, prioritising grip and on all surfaces. 

Eliminator 2.6

Mary 2.35

Assguy 2.5

All the same width give or take a mm, and all very very good all-rounders. 

I'd add a DHR2 based on Savage's recommendation, but I haven't ridden it on the front personally. 

Edited by Captain Fastbastard Mayhem