Carrying tools etc?

Clinton1

Indeed. Hence me approaching a forum filled with apparent experts to hear their opinions :)

Dude, quit while you're ahead here - How long have you been riding ?

You would have figured this out on your own after your second ride. Coming onto a public forum asking the best way for you to personaly carry spares, is like asking the children on the playground what your mom should put on your school sarmies.

FFS, some things you just figure out for yourself.

Edited by Skott5

• Replies 290
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Indeed. Hence me approaching a forum filled with apparent experts to hear their opinions :)

Excellent !

Then stop knocking the idea's . go out and try what you feel and if you not happy try something else .

But don't forget, the gun goes in a holster.

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_p7wkrZM3P2E/SYId_misauI/AAAAAAAAAl0/Beb-cMpbdFY/s400/CreepyKidGun.png

Dude, quit while you're ahead here - How long have you been riding ?

You would have figured this out on your own after your second ride. Coming onto a public forum asking the best way for you to personaly carry spares, is like asking the children on the playground what your mom should put on your school sarmies.

FFS, some things you just figure out for yourself.

+1

Pre-Plan A is have thorn protector things, or snakeskins

Plan A is avoid sharp stuff

Plan C is rip out the punctured tube and replace with a new one.

Popping plugs or cut sidewalls are not so much of an issue

Snakeskin will help against sidewall cuts but not eliminate them, stans laugh in the face of thorns, that is scenario A that I pointed out, most of the time you didn't even know you had a puncture. The problem with "avoiding sharp stuff" is if you do a route like daggpad at VG which is rocky, there is no way to avoid it, you would have to walk that 15km section from start to finish. My partner had a loan bike while his tallboy was being built, that same section took three tubes...and nothing breaks momentum on a nice ride than a tube puncture.

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_p7wkrZM3P2E/SYId_misauI/AAAAAAAAAl0/Beb-cMpbdFY/s400/CreepyKidGun.png

:clap: :clap: :clap:

Ok, I've been following this fred and see that this is a major cost saving dilemma for some.

Here's the Smolster's step by step guide to finding out what suits your needs:

Saddle bags:

1. Buy a cheap R30 shimano wannabe saddle bag

2. Go to garden and collect rocks and place in saddle bag to simulate the same weight as the amount of equipment you are penny pinching on

3. Add number of coins to the bag to simulate the normal rattling you might endure when driving down the gravel road over extreme corrugations (spelling)

4. Inflate tyres to 4 bar for maximum effect and traction ;)

5.Ride down gravel road at top speed and aim for all the extreme bumps

6.Go back home and reflect

Camelbak:

1. Find old high school rug sack that you kept because one day you might need it (its your lucky day)

2. Go to shop number 1 (aka liquor store) and purchase some of natals finest pap sak

3. Place pap sak in rug sak (NB: remember to drink the additional 2l if you planning on a 3l camelbak)

4. Throw in some cutlery and a few rocks to simulate additional equipment you have not bought yet

5. Ride down gravel road as fast as possible and aim for all bumps

6. Go back home and reflect

7. Finish pap sak.

After a few hours of reflecting, go and buy which ever one made you faster :)

Thank goodness, you have now unblocked me :clap:

@Grebel sorry mate, never meant to call you a fun rider.

:thumbup: All good brother. Glad you didn't make fun of my wife's short arms either. I might have had to open a virtual can of whoop ass (Chuck Norris Style) :angry: :lol:

Ok, I've been following this fred and see that this is a major cost saving dilemma for some.

Saddle bags:

2. Go to garden and collect rocks and place in saddle bag to simulate the same weight as the amount of equipment you are penny pinching on

3. Add number of coins to the bag to simulate the normal rattling you might endure when driving down the gravel road over extreme corrugations (spelling)

Camelbak:

1. Find old high school rug sack that you kept because one day you might need it (its your lucky day)

2. Go to shop number 1 (aka liquor store) and purchase some of natals finest pap sak

3. Place pap sak in rug sak (NB: remember to drink the additional 2l if you planning on a 3l camelbak)

4. Throw in some cutlery and a few rocks to simulate additional equipment you have not bought yet

7. Finish pap sak.

:clap:

Naahhh you said bomb...singular if I'm not mistaken....

Thats my point, bombs are great but I always carry a small pump in my camelbak just in case. On the road bike I take only 1 bomb but with skinny tubes you get a generaly second chance if you stuff it up first time.

TBH its just for in case sakes... I've never had to use the pump, yet...

It depends :whistling: Sometimes I don't even bother, if I puncture I walk,

Naahhh you said bomb...singular if I'm not mistaken....

Thats my point, bombs are great but I always carry a small pump in my camelbak just in case. On the road bike I take only 1 bomb but with skinny tubes you get a generaly second chance if you stuff it up first time.

TBH its just for in case sakes... I've never had to use the pump, yet...

Either way, just make sure you have the adapter with you, otherwise no matter how many bombs you have you will still be walking back to the trail centre.

Is he the Spanish "Webster" ?

Does not bother me what others think, saddle bags were designed to carry stuff.

Tube, bombs,multitool (tyre levers included), quick tube patch, tyre patch and quick link.

Same here .Baggy shorts with extra pockets if needed.No camelback for me .Saddlebag with tools and cell and food in shirt

Saddle bags:

Camelbak:

7. Finish pap sak.

LOVIT!!!

I use the tube attached to my seatpost.. If that punctures I use patches. I will carry two bombs, otherwise I walk back or just get a taxi.

I haven't seen it done myself or tried it for that matter, but apparently if you run out of tubes and patches and anything else you need to fix a puncture, you can split the tube where the puncture is, tie the two ends back together and refit the tube over the rim. It will be hard to fit as it is now shorter but it will hold air and probably get you home (With a bit of a flat spot, but it beats walking!)