Carrying tools etc?

Clinton1

Here you go, no bike pouch, shirt pocket, water bottle type holder required.You can take whatever you want and ride long or short

Legislation currently under review to ban towing on a bike... otherwise I'd get two ;)

• Replies 290
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I have not discarded any ideas and have considered all presented. I ask questions, or indeed just question some of the advice given, so that I can get the person to argue their case and see if it stands up well. You tend to get far more usefulness out of a topic by countering what the person says rather than just agreeing with it.

We have ended up with two seperate discussions here, in my opinion. The one is hydration, which I fully agree is better suited to the camelbak when riding long distances but can be remedied far more cheaply with some bottles. The second, is carrying tools. Now unless I get a large camelbak it seems most still resort to attaching spare tubes, bombs etc to seatposts and the like, with the camelbak being used for extra clothing and the like (now this is not a factor for me at all as we have just gone through the middle of winter and I am yet to ride with anything more than shorts and a cycling shirt).

A negative to the saddle bag which no one has mentioned, probably because they do not use them, is the bag swaying from side to side while standing and pedalling. I know from the past that this can annoy me. It was for this reason I was considering the clip on ones but then I risk them breaking.

It really does seem you cannot find one item that fulfills all your needs :)

Nope no swaying...well the proper ones at least. I have a spez one that attaches around the seatpost and saddle rails, its sits very tight with no movement. Over and above the spez one has another zip to make the bag slightly bigger or smaller depending on what you carrying. The biggest issue like mentioned is with where you put your water...if you ok with a bit of mud / cow dung on the bottles from time to time...go for a saddlebag

Wow, I do find it quite bizarre. When you throw back some challenges to solutions offered in an attempt to reach the ultimate solution you are immediately referred to as stubborn. It appears many on here think their solution should be immediately accepted without question.

Please list the negatives for a saddle bag if you would seeing as though you feel this is not a good solution to carrying tools.

I eagerly await your apology when ytou realise that you are just not getting it....

Don't be silly....

Stop being so argumentative and read what we write instead of reading what you want to read.

Don't be silly....

Stop being so argumentative and read what we write instead of reading what you want to read.

You're losing this one Kranswurm. He's dragging you down to his level and beating you with his experience of operating at that level.

The answers were given on page 1, since then it's been padding. Like is a cell. Tools no tools, bag no bag, cameltoe no cameltoe, water bottle no water bottle, pocket no pocket. Who really cares?

edit loosing only has one o.

Edited by petatodd

Saddle bag dude. Who wants their shirt (or camelback) full of iron mongery? And WTF put a tool kit in a water bottle cage? I mean, WTF?

When you can almost, but not quite catch Burry, then maybe also tape a tube to your frame. And like him, walk home when anything beyond bombing one tube goes wrong. Except he won't have to walk home.

I tape a tube to the seat post, everything else goes into a hard waterproof zip up sunglasses case. Into back pocket....

Cool, there is even place for a boom-box :thumbup:

And on a really loooong ride you can eat the baby!!! Nyom nyom!!

Get the one with the straps rather than a bracket. Seen some of those brackets break

I found that straps one did not do the distance, that one with the mount under the seat is a better system imo, I 've got them on all my mtb bikes (3x) no problems at all.

Oh dear, 1953 photos from le Tour:

http://timelifeblog.files.wordpress.com/2012/06/23_112451905.jpg?w=321

Check what's hanging off the back of the leather saddle...

You're losing this one Kranswurm. He's dragging you down to his level and beating you with his experience of operating at that level.

The answers were given on page 1, since then it's been padding. Like is a cell. Tools no tools, bag no bag, cameltoe no cameltoe, water bottle no water bottle, pocket no pocket. Who really cares?

edit loosing only has one o.

Agreed. 6 pages of this... just use the saddle bag already!

I'm very surprised that jersey pockets are not used more. You can stuff loads in there and it's within easy reach while you're riding.

Hi guys

My issue is the following:

On my DS bike, the bottom mounted bottle on the downtube gets too dirty and dusty.

So, now my 2nd bottle is seat-post mounted, and this interferes with a saddle bad underneath my saddle :(

Now, where to put the tube, multitool, tyre levers, tubeless plugs and CO2 bombs???

(All can go in a jersey pocket easy, but the tube gets BULKY)

Well put, but then neither of them really impact my life.

As for the OP, I yet have to see him engage in to a discussion without operating at that level.

Hi guys

My issue is the following:

On my DS bike, the bottom mounted bottle on the downtube gets too dirty and dusty.

So, now my 2nd bottle is seat-post mounted, and this interferes with a saddle bad underneath my saddle :(

Now, where to put the tube, multitool, tyre levers, tubeless plugs and CO2 bombs???

(All can go in a jersey pocket easy, but the tube gets BULKY)

Tape it to seatpost or frame

Had a saddlebag with a solid mount. Bike fell over onto something hard, mount broke. Bought one with straps and it's lasted pretty well - as in four or five years. My bikes have not lasted that long.

The strap that goes around the seat post has finally torn free, but the rest of the bag is pretty poked, so no stress, the whole thing is due for replacement. Topeak. Pretty good stuff.