Selecting the right "tools for the job" - what type of bike should I buy?

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

unicycle ....mountain bike version !!!

maybe give a bit more info on what you have or want to do ..cross country / marathons / multi stage etc

your post is vague at the least. ;)

Edited by KiNgL

So many brands, so many designs - where do I start by selecting the right mountain bike for me?

I suggest starting at working out what your budget is gonna be.

I am looking for a bike for my gardener. He only uses his Bicycle (Dikwiel) to go to the Saturday afternoon piss up and back to my place. I want something reliable that will last when he crashes in a drunken state at 30km/h, falling asleep at the "cockpit".

Ag nee OP you must be joking with this new offer. Here is some advice for you.

Don't use words too big for the subject. Don't say "infinitely" when you mean "very"; otherwise you'll have no word left when you want to talk about something really infinite. - CS Lewis

Our sport is a simple one.

Ag nee OP you must be joking with this new offer. Here is some advice for you.

Don't use words too big for the subject. Don't say "infinitely" when you mean "very"; otherwise you'll have no word left when you want to talk about something really infinite. - CS Lewis

Our sport is a simple one.

"Our sport is a simple one": That is what makes mountain biking such an enjoyable sport - it requires the skillful use of technology that many participants are not even thinking about. Like, apart from the difference in price, what makes a carbon fiber bike different from an aluminium composite one, or is their a reason why one should rather consider a dual suspension than a hard tail? Talking about dual suspension, what differentiate single pivot from 4-bar linkage and when does which one work better? Talking carbon, is it important to understand the difference in the quality of carbon used by manufacturers - why is one frame more expensive than another, and what makes one type better than another. Or do I just trust the sales person and be guided by the price. O ja, then there is 3x9, 3x10, 2x10 and each with different gear ratios, or is internal gearing not better? These are just a few pointers emphasizing that our sport is a simple one ...

http://www.thehubsa....m&item_id=35121

http://files.sharenator.com/Third_party_facepalm-s750x600-140097.jpg

Seriously. Advice like this should be free to help promote the sport and not be sold.

**** man. This is a **** stunt only Cajees would pull.

I agree, the same with advice from your doctor to keep you healthy and fit, but unfortunately the better the advice the more you pay for it! Why, because that doctor has spent a substantial amount of his time to study to give his patients scientifically validated advice.

"Our sport is a simple one": That is what makes mountain biking such an enjoyable sport - it requires the skillful use of technology that many participants are not even thinking about. Like, apart from the difference in price, what makes a carbon fiber bike different from an aluminium composite one, or is their a reason why one should rather consider a dual suspension than a hard tail? Talking about dual suspension, what differentiate single pivot from 4-bar linkage and when does which one work better? Talking carbon, is it important to understand the difference in the quality of carbon used by manufacturers - why is one frame more expensive than another, and what makes one type better than another. Or do I just trust the sales person and be guided by the price. O ja, then there is 3x9, 3x10, 2x10 and each with different gear ratios, or is internal gearing not better? These are just a few pointers emphasizing that our sport is a simple one ...

love this answer!!

@ the OP please explain wtf is going on.

You offer a service to choose the right bike for R395 and then you ask the hub which bike you should choose.

Or am i missing something?

@ the OP please explain wtf is going on.

You offer a service to choose the right bike for R395 and then you ask the hub which bike you should choose.

Or am i missing something?

You're missing something! There is VERY little empirical guidance on how to select the right bike. The "I" in "... what bike should I buy ..." refers to the person reading the heading of the post - it requires some creative reading :thumbup: .

This is a load of bollocks!

Hahaha

You don't need software or a degree to know what good quality is and thats all that matters in a bike . The only advice people should pay for is a professional bike fitting/setup because even an entry level bike feels awesome if its correctly setup for your body/riding style

Common sense and the great people of thehub will be more helpful than your software.

Ask any one!!!! :P