Hubber arrested with stolen goods in his possession...

EVOBIKES ONLINE STORE

Hehehe, not at all mate, I am juts going on the assumption that he is behind bars or in court.

... or out on bail? :whistling:

• Replies 255
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Name and shame is risky. As already mentioned, the suspected fraudster may hev been arrested but hasn't been convicted as far as I can tell. Name and shame seems to be the general consensus but may be a knee jerk reaction. As somebody mentioned earlier. Check the seller out. Post count, length of membership, contact details etc. You should be able to see if somebody is a scammer.

On the other hand, if the goods are priced right and everything checks out with the seller, the chances of you buying stolen goods is slim, but there is still a chance.... As with anything that you buy (even if it is new) the source is the key. Generally if it feels right it usually is. Having said that though,

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-k-4HvRhsrpo/UAeGEBTtH7I/AAAAAAAAOl4/haxPgewf298/s1600/witch-hunt.jpg

... or out on bail? :whistling:

even if he is out, i would imagine he is fairly nervous about dealing with strangers.. :ph34r:

Maybe... just maybe Naas is part of a secret underground LBS community that is sick of hubbers buying stuff from other hubbers.... and is seeking to destroy the fragile community. Maybe Naas is ACTUALLY a LBS in disguise?

:ph34r:

post-35168-0-78122300-1345012119.jpg

So you would rather he have remained quiet, even seeing that the Hubber is continuing to post items for sale. It's not his duty to report it, he just issued a cautionary notice so others can be made aware.

So WHO must I beware of? We should ALL know by now that the Internet is full if scammers so his post is a waste of time

Morning children...

I am AMAZED at the literally ILLETAERAT and POORLY-THOUGHT OUT responese but hey - give a man a keyboard and remain faceless and everyone is SUPERMAN.

I am going to sum it up.

- I noticed items going up for sale last night by a Hubber whom I have HEARD was arrested on Saterday. I contacted the bike-shop owner to double check and he undertook to say who it was as well as explain the situiation.

- It is after hours and I am REALLY not interested in calling my lawyer and get the do's and dont's in place before naming names - not into slander at all.

- I asked CAPE TOWN Hubbers to be circumspect in their dealings - at least until this was sorted out and cleared. I am also sure the this Hubber is following this thread and has had ample time to fess up.

- I reiterated that the bike shop in question will post the situation - especially as I believe there are still items missing.

So to sum it up - I asked to trade CAREFULLY and give you guys a heads up, For that I was slandered, called names etc.

Strangely enough - all of the name-callers remain faceless and contactless!

I never "threatened" anyone!?

I merely asked The V for his contact details in a PM as it was obvious from his continuos slandering and name-calling that he had an issue and thought it would be in his best interest to take it private.

Needless to say I am still waiting for his contact details...

I am meeting with shop-owner shortly.

Regards Naas

This thread highlights the importance of being ripped off by fellow sellers,be that on the hub/gumtree or any other furom.We all like great deals and we all love to bargain,however when the purchaser agrees to buy something he does so in good faith,(unless he is of course aware that he is buying stolen property).

And this thread further highlights the importance of my thread the other day of purchasing x and receiving y !

Once you are a trader on the hub fellow hubbers should be made aware of your dealings.

Hi Hubbers

Thought I will just give you all a heads up to PLEASE CHECK AND TRADE carefully as I have it on good authority that a Hubber in Cape Town was arrested on Saterday with stolen bikes and parts in his possession...

I am NOT going to name names as it will implicate other Hubbers as well (they bought from him) and I strongly feel that this person should explain the story (no apparently he did not steal, but bought stolen goods at ridiculous prices)

It just GRATES me when we have regular occurences of theft such as CWC and I believe Gecko on the past weekend as well as armed robberies etc and cyclist knowingly assist this "demand"

Rant off and happy trading!

I have a couple of issues with this post. And no not because you are not naming names - but your story does not make sense.

Was the person arrested or not ? You have it on good authority ? Whose authority ? Rumour ? From your best mate on the bike ride ? Or the gossip vine ? Or the fact that you made charge at the police office ?

Secondly, the person had goods that he bought at low prices ? Exactly how do you know he bought them at low prices ?

Thirdly, you clearly state that he did not steal them ? He had stolen goods in his possession. Is this a crime ?

You then go on to demand an explanation. There are so many "facts", but you come onto the Hub to demand and explanation from a guy who has just been arrested. Something does not add up. So you are not warning us, you are wanting an explanation.

Your post is suspect to say the least.

Cape Town is the tik(chrystalmethamphetamine)capital of South Africa.

Tik addicts will steal and sell anything,particularly bicycles and sell them to "dealers" for a couple of hundred Rand.

The "dealers" (whether legitimate or not) start selling them off as wheelsets,cranks handlebars etc etc.

That is the problem and no one really has a working solution to this problem..

The "dealers" on the hub(whether legitimate or not)can easily sell their "goods" at lower than real market prices for obvious reasons....they "purchased" them for a couple of hundred Rand remember.

The problem as far as buying and selling on the hub is that many hubbers surf the classifieds.The market on the classifieds then seem to indicate for example that a Rock Shock Reba was sold recently for R1000.Now we all know that that is not the value of a used Reba.

The problem is , that buyers now try their luck with lame offers on the "regular seller"....the regular seller being average Joe who has for example just upgraded his bike by buying a Rock Shock Sid world cup from a dealer(like a legitimate LBS) and now wants to sell his legitimate Reba at a fair market price.

So the buyer wants to pay ever less looking for bargains.....my opinion is everything has a reasonable value....You cant expect to buy a 2011/2012 Reba for R1000.

If you as a buyer have done your homework and are happy with the sellers credentials and are still buying a bargain ....well good for you ....remember "caveat emptor'....let the purchaser beware.

Of course this warning goes as much for the "dealer"(whether legitimate or not) and also the hubber surfing the classifieds looking to make below market value offers and buying bargains......they may misfire on you!

Remember that if you are in possession of a bike part that was "stolen" and you "legitimately" bought it from a hubber who "legitimately" bought it from whoever,you have no recourse against the original legitimate owner(bona fide owner) from whom it was stolen.

The bona fide owner is entitled to recover the item from you.

You in turn will "try" to recover your money from whom you bought the item(if you can find him).

Edited by cst68

Naas obviously knows who it is,

so to protect the community against this it is very simple.

Naas can let the owners of the hub know who this chap is,

they can suspend his account and contact anyone who has had dealings with him so that they can then protect themselves as well as this site.

This is a business afterall and they can be implicated as they have allowed stolen goods to pass through their doors.

Morning children...

I am AMAZED at the literally ILLETAERAT and POORLY-THOUGHT OUT responese but hey - give a man a keyboard and remain faceless and everyone is SUPERMAN.

I am going to sum it up.

- I noticed items going up for sale last night by a Hubber whom I have HEARD was arrested on Saterday. I contacted the bike-shop owner to double check and he undertook to say who it was as well as explain the situiation.

- It is after hours and I am REALLY not interested in calling my lawyer and get the do's and dont's in place before naming names - not into slander at all.

- I asked CAPE TOWN Hubbers to be circumspect in their dealings - at least until this was sorted out and cleared. I am also sure the this Hubber is following this thread and has had ample time to fess up.

- I reiterated that the bike shop in question will post the situation - especially as I believe there are still items missing.

So to sum it up - I asked to trade CAREFULLY and give you guys a heads up, For that I was slandered, called names etc.

Strangely enough - all of the name-callers remain faceless and contactless!

I never "threatened" anyone!?

I merely asked The V for his contact details in a PM as it was obvious from his continuos slandering and name-calling that he had an issue and thought it would be in his best interest to take it private.

Needless to say I am still waiting for his contact details...

I am meeting with shop-owner shortly.

Regards Naas

Naas

I am not here to argue with you neither am I here to tell you what you should and should not do.

But I will say that you might feel you acted out of good faith, that's fair and understandable.

But you also created panic.

they can suspend his account and contact anyone who has had dealings with him so that they can then protect themselves as well as this site.

This is a business afterall and they can be implicated as they have allowed stolen goods to pass through their doors.

why should this blokes account be suspended ? Who was that hubber that had a garmin taken from him? He was in possesion of stolen goods. If he sold it at a good price does that make him a criminal ? Suspend his account ?

Oh, by the way, I have a cracked Cannondale frame, nicely repainted for sale. Go check the adds on Monday.... it's my Bango bike! :thumbup:

Nope. The forum would be able to employ an innocent dissemination defence. As far as we are aware, Admin has not been made aware of who the suspect in this case is.