should a 73kg guy always beat a 87kg

mtbDobby

HI All - I have "friendly debate" raging with a mate.....

I weigh in at 87kg's....my friend weighs in at 73kg

both of us are in pretty good nick, we ride mtb and road, do events, train in the gym and essentially 5-6 times a week we are training or riding.

The question is who should win in a race? be it road or mtb? terrain I'm sure will play a role as will distance and vertical gain.

both bikes(mtb) are highly spec'ed although one is a 29er hard tail(for me the heavier guy) and the other 26 is a dual sus.(the 29er is lighter than the dual sus)

Both road bikes are also highly speced.

As mentioned above - should the 73kg guy always win all things being equal? and if not where do you see the advantages/disadvantages one way or the other.....

Edited by mtbDobby

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You will use more watt going uphill and might tire faster that what he does. However, on flats you should have more power to put down. So depending on the course, the winner will be determined.

just my 2c worth

You will use more watt going uphill and might tire faster that what he does. However, on flats you should have more power to put down. So depending on the course, the winner will be determined.

just my 2c worth

you are bigger than him and I would assume taller too.... take a good stance, set him up with a jab or two and finish off with a well executed right hook (Assuming you are not some freak and fight south paw).

If this does not work and he turns out to be a bit of a tiger and beats you in return then simply settle this in very civilized manner by actually just riding your flipping bikes to see who is the fastest.

Not a very complex problem to resolve.

you are bigger than him and I would assume taller too.... take a good stance, set him up with a jab or two and finish off with a well executed right hook (Assuming you are not some freak and fight south paw).

If this does not work and he turns out to be a bit of a tiger and beats you in return then simply settle this in very civilized manner by actually just riding your flipping bikes to see who is the fastest.

Not a very complex problem to resolve.

very good point - I am a south paw and we same height :clap:

So, is he skinny looking, or are you a bit portly?

im not scared to have a steers burger - but to answer ur question yes he is skinny, im alot more muscular than he is.....

im not scared to have a steers burger -

Yikes. Steers? Scares the cr@p out of me.

I like real burgers.

PS, @OP, cycling is a power to weight ratio sport. So, there isn't a one size fits all answer to your question. Sorry. Like the man said, the two of you go compete, then you'll know.

Do some races with your mate and you will have your answer. If he is beating you regularly then he maybe has a better power to weight ratio and maybe higher lactate threshold and maybe higher VO2 max. Maybe he trains more intensely. Maybe he rests more and better. Maybe he uses drugs.

Look at this way, some of the best climbers, like Froome, Contador and so on, can put the mountains like Cancalara away like garbage in a TT when they need to. Power to Weight.