Pocket Knives ?

Scooter69

Nice! I really like those Opinel knives.

I have a whole bunch of Opinels. I keep one in the Landy, one in my desk drawer, one in the camping kit and one in my tool kit. They are made from a great steel and although the basic ones tarnish easily, they sharpen very well and keep an edge. For everyday jobs, I have not found anything nearly as handy for anywhere near the price.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I have a whole bunch of Opinels. I keep one in the Landy, one in my desk drawer, one in the camping kit and one in my tool kit. They are made from a great steel and although the basic ones tarnish easily, they sharpen very well and keep an edge. For everyday jobs, I have not found anything nearly as handy for anywhere near the price.

Same here. Every time I go to the tackle shop I buy one. Can’t help it.

I have a whole bunch of Opinels. I keep one in the Landy,

one in my desk drawer, one in the camping kit and one in my tool kit. They are made from a great steel and although the basic ones tarnish easily, they sharpen very well and keep an edge. For everyday jobs, I have not found anything nearly as handy for anywhere near the price.

You get two opinel blade types.

The Carbone and Inox.

Carbone is a the carbon steel, it holds it's edge very well, but develops a patina.

Inox is stainless steel. Remains pretty, but needs to be sharpened more often.

I prefer Inox, maar een man se lelik is 'n ander man se vrou.

I have a whole bunch of Opinels. I keep one in the Landy, one in my desk drawer, one in the camping kit and one in my tool kit. They are made from a great steel and although the basic ones tarnish easily, they sharpen very well and keep an edge. For everyday jobs, I have not found anything nearly as handy for anywhere near the price.

Pity they look so crap. IMO........

nEVER USED ONE, ARE THEY REALLY THAT GOOD BECAUSE THEY AREN'T THE CHEAPEST KNIFE EITHER

Not an easy post to understand. And I am not talking about caps lock.

If you want to buy cheap, buy cheap. And expect cheap.

If you want to buy a R10k folder, do so. I would if I could.

If you want value for money, shop somewhere in the middle.

Not an easy post to understand. And I am not talking about caps lock.

If you want to buy cheap, buy cheap. And expect cheap.

If you want to buy a R10k folder, do so. I would if I could.

If you want value for money, shop somewhere in the middle.

Sorry never realized the caps was on.

nEVER USED ONE, ARE THEY REALLY THAT GOOD BECAUSE THEY AREN'T THE CHEAPEST KNIFE EITHER

"Good" is pretty subjective.

Personally I don't typically buy any knives with steel below the "quality" of 154cm. Most of mine are S30V blades so I consider 154cm to be "good value".

I don't enjoy the range of 440 steels, likewise with D2 and even N609.  :mellow:  

What is the general take on sharpening?

Learn how to sharpen with stones the hard way or use a sharpening system like the Lansky controlled one?

I have failed dismally trying to get a good sharp edge on my diamond stones that I use for sharpening woodworking tools so Im considering going for a sharpening system.

I might buy one to check them out if I can find one cheap enough;)

I have seen some in what I call dodgy shops, are they often copied? Any way to see if it is an original Opinel?

I might buy one to check them out if I can find one cheap enough;)

I have seen some in what I call dodgy shops, are they often copied? Any way to see if it is an original Opinel?

look at the following markers (carbon blade model)

1. The blade will be discolored and probably pitted 
  2. Flex in the blade
  3. Blade will sound "hollow"
  4. cheap looking yellowish wood handle
  5. 95% chance that you will cut yourself in the first 43 seconds
  6. A feeling of absolute disappointment

Ironically I've got two No.8 models that I use for rope work. I prefer it even above carpet knives for the easiness of sharpening, the blade length and the amazing sharpness of a high carbon blade.

It is like a Brooks saddle, a acquired taste