Beware of CB 68 GK GP

argie1

• Replies 198
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Boschkop SAPS is not, in my experience, a cyclist-friendly police station. Some years ago they threatened to arrest the whole bunch of us for cycling in a double row (big bunch with the club van behind us) because "our station commander told us to".

no doubt after receiving many complaints from long suffering fellow road users. that road is not cycling friendly, there is zero shoulder and the speed limit in most places is 100km/h with many blind rises. going down there, two a abreast with your van behind you,is just asking for trouble.

BIG Kudos to the large club group whom I see frequenting that road on a regular basis. the club vehicle pulls onto the gravel and the cyclists move into single file when another vehicle approaches from behind.

This is not a debate about who is right and who is wrong in terms of the road usage. This is the reality when trying to keep yourself safe on the road.

i dont quite understand what happened based on the description. She went off the road to the left onto the gravel? in between the group? confused?

"cyclist made of poo..."

Interesting.

Somehow I dont think that '4x4 entoesias' rides a bike.

"cyclist made of poo..."

Interesting.

Somehow I dont think that '4x4 entoesias' rides a bike.

probably not. but he voices the frustration of many users on that particular stretch of road.

I'm very aware of my own safety when cycling on the roads, I too have had many close calls on that stretch and it's arrogant cyclists who frustrate drivers that makes it dangerous for the rest of us

Think i'll stick to riding at 4h30am or hit the cradle. Either way its just not worth the hassle. Motorists generally in this country as are the absolute worst.

There's a very simple fact that Mr 4x4 okie clearly doesn't click - cyclists on bicycles are by law supposed to ride on the road. Not on the pavement (which is an offense) or in the gutter/shoulder, but on the road. Cyclists are part of the traffic - they are traffic vehicles themselves - just as motorcyclists are. Frikking hell, this is the problem with so many South Africans - they are clueless about the basic rules of the road.

And just as any situation when a vehicle comes up to another vehicle travelling slower that you - move around when it's safe to do so! You don't try and drive the slow-moving truck off the road, you don't try and drive a slow-moving motor bike off the road, and you CERTAINLY DO NOT TRY TO DRIVE A CYCLIST OFF THE ROAD!

The fact that this 4x4 tjop comes onto this website and shows how clueless he/she is about the law when sucking some crap throw his cake hole about cyclists not being allowed in the 'traffic lane', gives the rest of us real 4x4 enthusiasts a bad name.

Edited by tombeej

Motorists are not born that way...they become like that because of cyclists that take up the entire lane. I saw two tjops on the weekend that were so busy chatting that I nearly hit them because they were swerving to look at each other. They were on the shoulder of the N14 highway of all places!

LOL an indication of the current state of the judicial system, not funny actualy...

Sorry for the hijack below...But your incident made me think of this story that i read about in the papers yesterday, and LOL ja this could only happen in switzerland...

Background story:

Just to put this into context, its pretty common and fairly impossible to ride offroad anywhere in switzerland without riding on some farmers land, as a lot of hiking and bike trails go over farm land.

A farmer and his son get involved in a heated debate with 2 mountain bikers (aged 38 and 40), they were riding on his property and he wanted them to leave, to encourage them to leave he fired a shot in their direction. Needless to say they left quickly.. and reported the incident to the local police…

Now this is the LOL http://1.1.1.1/bmi/cdn.bikehub.co.za/forum/public/style_emoticons/default/eek.gif part…The police PHONED the farmer and ordered him to report to the police station…

He refused, so they went out to his place and after some resistance from the farmer and his son they were both detained overnight. A search of the property revealed a 12 gauge hunting rifle with ammunition

Apparently the 2 mountain bikers have filed a law suit against the farmer.

http://translate.goo...ved=0CC0Q7gEwAA

dude, if someone fired a shot at me (even if its a warning for no good reason) I would report it and lay a charge too...

LOL an indication of the current state of the judicial system, not funny actualy...

Sorry for the hijack below...But your incident made me think of this story that i read about in the papers yesterday, and LOL ja this could only happen in switzerland...

Background story:

Just to put this into context, its pretty common and fairly impossible to ride offroad anywhere in switzerland without riding on some farmers land, as a lot of hiking and bike trails go over farm land.

A farmer and his son get involved in a heated debate with 2 mountain bikers (aged 38 and 40), they were riding on his property and he wanted them to leave, to encourage them to leave he fired a shot in their direction. Needless to say they left quickly.. and reported the incident to the local police…

Now this is the LOL :eek: part…The police PHONED the farmer and ordered him to report to the police station…

He refused, so they went out to his place and after some resistance from the farmer and his son they were both detained overnight. A search of the property revealed a 12 gauge hunting rifle with ammunition

Apparently the 2 mountain bikers have filed a law suit against the farmer.

http://translate.goo...ved=0CC0Q7gEwAA

A 12 guage is a shotgun, a hunting rifle uses sharp point ammunition.

Edited by eccentric1

A 12 guage is a shotgun, a hunting rifle uses sharp point ammonution.

Actually..... one does get a *guage/rifle combo. i have a 16guage/8x64 (not 7x64) Merkel U/O 16g on top, 8x64 under... It has a 2nd set of barrels that are double 16g. its classed as a 16 gauge hunting rifle... :) Odd i know, doesn't sound right and looks even more odd on paper... :)

But im just splitting hairs :):)

Actually..... one does get a *guage/rifle combo. i have a 16guage/8x64 (not 7x64) Merkel U/O 16g on top, 8x64 under... It has a 2nd set of barrels that are double 16g. its classed as a 16 gauge hunting rifle... :) Odd i know, doesn't sound right and looks even more odd on paper... :)

But im just splitting hairs :):)

By law both barrels should be licensed. If not I and the rest of the Hub including Admin are now also by law complied to report it...... Or am I now splitting hairs????

Edited by eccentric1

There's a very simple fact that Mr 4x4 okie clearly doesn't click - cyclists on bicycles are by law supposed to ride on the road.

So I guess you have a death wish? Do you still not realise that you are flesh and bone, a car is steel and rubber? Who do you think is going to win the battle when the accident happens? That piece of plastic on your head? Or the lycra pants you wear.

If you are in the fast lane on the highway, it is usually good manners to move to the left lane to get out of the way of faster vehicles. This is also true for the middle lane and why most heavy vehicles drive in the far left lane because they are slow. It is common courtesy. A truck driver understands this, why can you not understand this? A Bicycle is slow, move over.

Now this 4x4 okie has been driving for a while and I usually drive around slower vehicles on the road (which includes bicycles) when I can. But when I can't, and if I drive faster than you I would expect you to move over because we are all decent human beings?. You ofcourse don't have to move, its a free country, you can do what you want, but it in the end it just adds to the general public view that all cyclists are a bunch of idiots who do not care about other road users and have no regard for road rules. Fine example you set...

I don't mean to offend - especially those cyclists who do the right thing - But your arrogance will get you hurt.

This is a part of the law:

http://www.acts.co.za/rt_nrta/national_road_traffic_act.htm#regs_311_riding_on_pedal_cycles.htm

311. Riding on pedal cycles

(1) No person shall ride a pedal cycle on a public road unless he or she is seated astride on the saddle of such pedal cycle.

(2) Persons riding pedal cycles on a public road shall ride in single file except in the course of overtaking another pedal cycle, and two or more persons riding pedal cycles shall not overtake another vehicle at the same time.

(3) No person riding or seated on a pedal cycle on a public road shall take hold of any other vehicle in motion.

(4) No person riding a pedal cycle on a public road shall deliberately cause such pedal cycle to swerve from side to side.

(5) No person riding a pedal cycle on a public road shall carry thereon any person, animal or object which obstructs his or her view or which prevents him or her from exercising complete control over the movements of such pedal cycle.

(6) A person riding a pedal cycle on a public road shall do so with at least one hand on the handle-bars of such pedal cycle.

(7) Whenever a portion of a public road has been set aside for use by persons riding pedal cycles, no person shall ride a pedal cycle on any other portion of such road.

(8) A person riding a pedal cycle on a public road or a portion of a public road set aside for use by persons riding pedal cycles, shall do so in such manner that all the wheels of such pedal cycle are in contact with the surface of the road at all times.

The fact that this 4x4 tjop comes onto this website and shows how clueless he/she is about the law when sucking some crap throw his cake hole about cyclists not being allowed in the 'traffic lane', gives the rest of us real 4x4 enthusiasts a bad name.

Your whole attitude stinks. You are probably that tjop that drives in the middle of a road just to annoy other people just for to go to your buddies and tell them how you managed to "pissoff" the chick in the M3... That is very mature of you

So I guess you have a death wish? Do you still not realise that you are flesh and bone, a car is steel and rubber? Who do you think is going to win the battle when the accident happens? That piece of plastic on your head? Or the lycra pants you wear.

If you are in the fast lane on the highway, it is usually good manners to move to the left lane to get out of the way of faster vehicles. This is also true for the middle lane and why most heavy vehicles drive in the far left lane because they are slow. It is common courtesy. A truck driver understands this, why can you not understand this? A Bicycle is slow, move over.

Now this 4x4 okie has been driving for a while and I usually drive around slower vehicles on the road (which includes bicycles) when I can. But when I can't, and if I drive faster than you I would expect you to move over because we are all decent human beings?. You ofcourse don't have to move, its a free country, you can do what you want, but it in the end it just adds to the general public view that all cyclists are a bunch of idiots who do not care about other road users and have no regard for road rules. Fine example you set...

I don't mean to offend - especially those cyclists who do the right thing - But your arrogance will get you hurt.

http://www.acts.co.za/rt_nrta/national_road_traffic_act.htm#regs_311_riding_on_pedal_cycles.htm

311. Riding on pedal cycles

(1) No person shall ride a pedal cycle on a public road unless he or she is seated astride on the saddle of such pedal cycle.

(2) Persons riding pedal cycles on a public road shall ride in single file except in the course of overtaking another pedal cycle, and two or more persons riding pedal cycles shall not overtake another vehicle at the same time.

(3) No person riding or seated on a pedal cycle on a public road shall take hold of any other vehicle in motion.

(4) No person riding a pedal cycle on a public road shall deliberately cause such pedal cycle to swerve from side to side.

(5) No person riding a pedal cycle on a public road shall carry thereon any person, animal or object which obstructs his or her view or which prevents him or her from exercising complete control over the movements of such pedal cycle.

(6) A person riding a pedal cycle on a public road shall do so with at least one hand on the handle-bars of such pedal cycle.

(7) Whenever a portion of a public road has been set aside for use by persons riding pedal cycles, no person shall ride a pedal cycle on any other portion of such road.

(8) A person riding a pedal cycle on a public road or a portion of a public road set aside for use by persons riding pedal cycles, shall do so in such manner that all the wheels of such pedal cycle are in contact with the surface of the road at all times.

Your whole attitude stinks. You are probably that tjop that drives in the middle of a road just to annoy other people just for to go to your buddies and tell them how you managed to "pissoff" the chick in the M3... That is very mature of you

Talking about an attitude that stinks...... Boy oh boy I think you wrote the manual!!!!!

http://www.acts.co.z...edal_cycles.htm

Interesting how you state the law, but in your previous post you state that cyclists should stay off the traffic lane? The law clearly states that a cyclist should stay in the traffic lane except when there is a portion set aside, and no it does not mean the shoulder on the other side of the yellow line. This is more a case of cyclists doing their part by riding in the yellow lane when opportunity presents itself rather than doing so by law.

Can you please post the law that states how you should pass other road users, for example the space you should leave when passing, on which side you should pass, how you should indicate and so on?