The cost of bikes - have we lost touch with reality?

wesley_r

Please post link to article. Saw the 710 at 3 Towers and it was around R 31k.

Don't have a link - good old fashioned paper mag

• Replies 182
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

haha i saw the same thing, had to read it twice, and was still in shock... almost the same price as a second hand for figo..

You think prices for bikes are over the top? Saw a 75 inch 3D, full HD, LED, Smart hub TV, a blerrie tv for R110 000. Doesn't even make coffee.

You think prices for bikes are over the top? Saw a 75 inch 3D, full HD, LED, Smart hub TV, a blerrie tv for R110 000. Doesn't even make coffee.

You telling me, have you seen how much tickets to the Currie Cup final are eek.gif

I've let my subscription to Tread mag lapse, but they sent me the latest copy as a last or complimentary issue. This print just confirmed the reason for not buying this magazine any longer. Their sense of what off-road cycling is about, is completely out of touch with my reality. They have sold their soul.

Flipping through the mag, I also noticed the article on the Scott bike. The R85k price tag in the heading disinterested me straight away and I did not even bother to read the review. Come to think of it, most of the products under review in the magazine seemed way overpriced to me.

The first bike I bought was a Wheeler 3900 with Shimano STX components, certainly not the best thing on the market but I loved that thing - cost me R 1700 and the guy threw in his old Diadora shoes into the deal, which I still ride with today.

I've subsequently sold the Wheeler and had my fair share of bikes once the fever bit - the last one I built up to ride the Sabie Experience and it cost me about R 17 000 over two years of collecting and wheeling and dealing - I probably wouldn't be able to sell it for R 5 000 nowadays.

To quote one of our fellow hubbers "Mountain biking is the new golf "

Unfortunately there are far too many men out there with "mid life crisis" who have the time and expendable income which perpetuates the marketing of carbon bikes that cost more than the annual income of some of our citizens.

It appears that the love of the sport has come second to the need to have the latest and greatest gadgets

Have we lost touch with reality - yes !

For R110k I wanna be able to touch the ass and boobs to my hearts content which Ill see on that thing!!

It was a typo, there was a mix up what with that particular model been ridden and the lower level Genius is currently for retail and also a model in the give away comp.

The top end genius is certainly a whack of cash, but the mid and lower level models certainly do represent good value for money on the k30- k50. Albeit still a fair expenditure for many of us.

Unfortunately that slipped through on the current issue and both of us who normally proof the mag missed it.

Totally our mistake and we really do apologise, given our deadlines on this current issue and extra commitments the human element came in and we made a mistake.

No excuse I know, nobody likes their passion to be messed with, once again though, sincere apologies.

That aside, definitely some bikes out there that are really expensive, this is true of all sports though. There will always be that market who feels defined more by what their spend on a sport is, rather than the experience. Each to their own, me personally I just enjoy the ride rather, if they're happy, good for them. :)

Think thats bad - extract from news 24:

An anonymous South African has bought what could be the most expensive bottle of whisky in the country, it was reported on Wednesday.

An anonymous buyer from Johannesburg apparently paid R230 000 for one of the three bottles of the Balvenie Fifty single malt whisky clap.gif

It was a typo, there was a mix up what with that particular model been ridden and the lower level Genius is currently for retail and also a model in the give away comp.

The top end genius is certainly a whack of cash, but the mid and lower level models certainly do represent good value for money on the k30- k50. Albeit still a fair expenditure for many of us.

Unfortunately that slipped through on the current issue and both of us who normally proof the mag missed it.

Totally our mistake and we really do apologise, given our deadlines on this current issue and extra commitments the human element came in and we made a mistake.

No excuse I know, nobody likes their passion to be messed with, once again though, sincere apologies.

That aside, definitely some bikes out there that are really expensive, this is true of all sports though. There will always be that market who feels defined more by what their spend on a sport is, rather than the experience. Each to their own, me personally I just enjoy the ride rather, if they're happy, good for them. smile.png

Thought so...thank god I don't have to go and ask the boss for an increase now, he is in a super kuk mood today

Interesting topic this

Riding buddies and I discussed this the other day as well. When is enough, enough? I was planning on building a PYGA up with XT, Fox, ZTR etc, and it all amounted to about 40K (from CRC). That was until I sat back and thought about the amount. 40K!! That is a lot of money in anyone’s books (even for those in a midlife crisis).

I think the most I can ever see myself pay for a bike is 30K. I love cycling. I eat, sleep, breath, talk, think…. cycling and am totally addicted to it, but you still have to sit back and see what the opportunity cost of such a purchase is. Not only with bikes, but the gear as well.

What is your max amount (not based on current income, just realistically)?

Interesting topic this

Riding buddies and I discussed this the other day as well. When is enough, enough? I was planning on building a PYGA up with XT, Fox, ZTR etc, and it all amounted to about 40K (from CRC). That was until I sat back and thought about the amount. 40K!! That is a lot of money in anyone’s books (even for those in a midlife crisis).

I think the most I can ever see myself pay for a bike is 30K. I love cycling. I eat, sleep, breath, talk, think…. cycling and am totally addicted to it, but you still have to sit back and see what the opportunity cost of such a purchase is. Not only with bikes, but the gear as well.

What is your max amount (not based on current income, just realistically)?

Funny enough I have been looking at new bikes and given myself a limit of 30K (still a hell of a lot of Ronds).

The perfect bike for me - Cannondale Flash 29 Carbon 3 comes in at exactly 30k.