Team 360Life Suspension: David George busted

Jules

Makes for a difficult situation...

So he say he donated blood sample 31 Aug... now scenario 1, they test it the next day, suspend him for 2 months while the politics evolve....

Scenario 2 they put the blood in the fridge, he decides it not worth it, does not do it again, they test it 4 weeks later... now suspend him for 2 months back dating it to the blood sample date.

He happen to race a race the last weekend of the 4 weeks. He was clean. he's disqualified.

Now again, I'm not condoning anything here, just asking/thinking he made a stupid mistake to take the stuff, but so far, no one can proof that he was using it during a race. no race related positive tests.

Remember people, this is not just bad boy, this is a guys career, his income, and when income comes to play, it gets legal, with laws, not rules.

G

He should have thought of the consequences before he took anything. In or out of competition. Taking EPO out of competition enables you to train harder and therefore be better on race day. It's still illegal and performance enhancing. Hence the reason why they do out of competition tests.

He is guilty and must suffer the consequences. He takes out a license and abides ny the rules that specify what is illegal and what happens if caught. End of story.

Suspension is 2 years minimum from wthe positive test, so yes you can't go back and penalise him before this, but from that day, any results are null and void.

Look at Contador. Lost all his results during the 18 months he raced while they went through all the various hearings etc.

• Replies 962
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

On the positive side, excuse the pun, maybe he'll be scooped up by supercycling so that he'll be able to share his 15 years of knowledge he gained in the PRO Peleton.

He will be in "GOOD COMPANY"whistling.gif

then you should pedal your road bike harder

Yeah...

The faster you go, the harder it gets.

You'll be surprised how low the pro's averages are on multi stage races. According to reliable sources they average at about 140bpm which is about the same as a grand tour rider's average, so don't kid yourself to think that mountain biking is balls to the wall all the time. It is furthermore much easier to finish the Epic within cutoff time that what it is to finish a grand tour stage within cut off time, so don't assume that roadies are soft and have it easier.

Oh just for the record, I'm a mountain biker so its not a case of mine's bigger than yours

Nice post, MorewoodMad.

It is two different codes within cycling, each with its own demands and requirements.

Comparing the two - eish!

Most people are actually an apathetic bunch, happy to blast dopers whom get caught, but also not prepared to do much to stop it.

What effect does a doper actually have on your life? I for one ride my bike for selfish reasons, when I'm on the bike it's about me and the trail, and having a jol with my mates, I will never compete at the top level so it is ultimately inconsequential.

I feel more sorry for the team mates that need the sponsors, but they need to be prepared to rat on their doping partners, and how much of that have we seen? Easy to enjoy when the goings are good and turning a blind eye, and just as easy to mount the highest of horses when they get binned.

To a lot of people what DG did will have no effect on their lives. But when you are in a situation competing with guys on dope its a different story.

I competed and personally saw evidence of a doping incident where a teamate had lost a tour becuase the the 2 guys who beat him on a crucial stage were both tested positive. And yes SACF swept it under the carpet. This was told to the guy in my presence by the tour doctor who had run the tests.

This same rider then dope on the tour that I am riding with him as a teammate. Before this incident I literally pulled him over the hills. 2 days later he is winning Kinfg of the Mountains and is a hero. I was just a teammate in the bunch. he admiited to doping to me after the tour. So yes, you start asking questions whether the only way to also compete is to take dope. So has a major effect on your outlook and you potential career.

In that same tour, a bunch of guys were caught positive in the breakaway. Guess what, SACF swept it under the carpet again becuase it was all the top names in SA cycling. I can tell you though, if it was a lesser rider he would be banned. Just how the politics work.

So this is why so many people pissed off with the dopers. it does effect many of us, or has. And if it doesn't we can relate to thos it does effect. Never mind the tarnishing of images and loss of income through sponsorships for other riders who aren't doping. Like Nedban and Neotel pulling out of the sport. Now that's effecting a lot more careers and salaries than the 1 doper that gets caught and punished.

Daryl was hardly part of the inner circle. Trained on his own and was given virtually no racing after he crashed early in the season.

We complain when the pros keep a code of silence then complain when they have a go at dopers. What exactly do we want them to do?

fair enough, don't think I put it the way I meant to.

I just find it lank interesting that DG is now known as one of Lance's former teammates, when that was actually 13 years ago. AFAIK he was even more out of the loop than Darryl Impey. (Don't think he ever got a lead out at the Argusthumbup1.gif )

ALSO, no secret that DG wasn't on the christmas card list of many fellow SA pros so it's not surprising that many have come out with pretty harsh statements kicking him whilst he's down. Maybe it's proof that they have nothing to hide, but I wouldn't be surprised if this becomes a Flandis style soap opera and DG has been given some grudges to score. and why shouldn't he, his career was at sunset stage anyway.

fair enough, don't think I put it the way I meant to.

I just find it lank interesting that DG is now known as one of Lance's former teammates, when that was actually 13 years ago. AFAIK he was even more out of the loop than Darryl Impey. (Don't think he ever got a lead out at the Argusthumbup1.gif )

ALSO, no secret that DG wasn't on the christmas card list of many fellow SA pros so it's not surprising that many have come out with pretty harsh statements kicking him whilst he's down. Maybe it's proof that they have nothing to hide, but I wouldn't be surprised if this becomes a Flandis style soap opera and DG has been given some grudges to score. and why shouldn't he, his career was at sunset stage anyway.

What is actually amazing is the SILENCE. It is very obvious to the peleton who is and who is not, but the policy is one of "it is between him and his God, until the vampires get him, then he is on is own". Rumours have been swirling between the pro, vet, sub vet and fun riders peleton regarding the magnitude of the problem, most of us have heard a droped word about x or y or z and his goosbumps at 45 degrees C, and why this one or that one suddenly is out of a team or on a new team. or who has got to the cough mixture lately. So nothing will surprise us, but we still acted surprised everytime a doper is caught.

In the end, if you want to be licenced there are rules, break them and eventually the vampires will get you. But rest assured your fellow cyclist will always believe that it is a matter between "you and your God until the vampires arrive, then you are alone".

Taking EPO out of competition enables you to train harder and therefore be better on race day. It's still illegal and performance enhancing. Hence the reason why they do out of competition tests.

Not having a day job also allows you to train harder - maybe that should be illegal too. (damit - wrong way around - was trying to find a reason to not have to go to work)

I don't think it's necessary, he is not implicated in this.

Not directly.

Wait, let's see how far down this rabbit-hole goes.

Hi there

I'm not that specifically referring to DG here, More the process, the actual lack of proof, that he was guilty at the time of racing.

G

In terms of drug use (banned substances) you have to ensure that you do not dope at any point during your career, whether you compete or not.

Doesn't matter that it was out of racing periods, he doped. Therefore he must face the consequences.

My wife (provincial squash player) is bound by the same rules & regs. She can be pulled for a test at any point, regardless of whether she is competing or not. She must comply with strict anti doping regs, so much so that she can't even take the majority of over-the-counter flu meds or anything. Not even medi-nite is allowed (pseudo ephederine)

I asked a while abck why all of our Pros are so quite on the Lance debacle?? this is the reason - I always suspected. Frauds the lot of them..

Also had a feeling about it.. You can tell by someone's quietness that they're up to jack.

In terms of drug use (banned substances) you have to ensure that you do not dope at any point during your career, whether you compete or not.

Doesn't matter that it was out of racing periods, he doped. Therefore he must face the consequences.

My wife (provincial squash player) is bound by the same rules & regs. She can be pulled for a test at any point, regardless of whether she is competing or not. She must comply with strict anti doping regs, so much so that she can't even take the majority of over-the-counter flu meds or anything. Not even medi-nite is allowed (pseudo ephederine)

Your wife needs dope to cope...with you....