How to build a MonsterCross Bike 101

Eldron

So when are you getting your awesome new frame?

I will be calling the supplier of said frame this afternoon!

• Replies 669
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

hehehhe I want some gears on this one, that is why I was hoping a road crank will fit but alas...will have to go with a XT bigboy one

I have a cheap 48t mtb chainring at home that fits

if you're running drop bar brake levers (eg STI's) you must get the 'road' BB7's - full cable pull reasons, rotor size is your choice.

Ta thanks for the input, would have bought the wrong set :thumbup:

Oh and damn you Rouxtjie!

Whilst chatting to Mr. Shimano about gearing ratios I ended up buying a Niner EMD - the old round tubed one (model before the hydroformed stuff).

Not sure what it will become yet though...

Thank you Rouxtjie!

What a frame! Absolutely love the round tubing and it fits better with my small stature.

What a frame! Absolutely love the round tubing and it fits better with my small stature.

Agree, just cannot get myself to the point of selling it, thus this venture....love my old emd.

Indeed. I'm a Shimano man through and through so my answer was based on using their stuff. As far as I know (and that aint much when it comes to SRAM) all their stuff is 1-1 ratio so anything will work with anything. Please correct me if I'm wrong!

@maffias - it's an Xlite fork I picked up at CRC. I've since sold it and moved to the PRO XC-R (see attached). It fits better with the round steel tubes of the Niner. More traditional looking.

The Giant MonsterCross is back to being a mountain bike and the MonsterCross bike is now steel, orange and Niner :-)

Unfortunately that's not true.

Their 9 speed is 1-1, but their 10 speed is what they call Exact Actuation (which they say is also 1-1 ???!?!?)

Unfortunately, it doesn't work (not that I've actually tried it)

http://www.sram.com/sram/road/technologies/exact-actuation

When we launched our road technology from scratch we reapplied our MTB proven SRAM 1:1 actuation ratio (shifter cable travel : derailleur movement) for 10 speed rear shifting. EA helps to simplify/stabilize the uneasy act of balancing rear derailleur hanger design, tight cog spacing and exact cable tension. The result: the easiest index shifting system to set up and it stays that way

I've got a 2009 Mongoose Meteore Elite ali frame (26") that I'm considering turning into a snappy little monstercross commuter.

Got most components sorted in my mind except for the fork. Need a straight steerer tho.

Anyone got suggestions for the fork? I'm not looking for top of the range -- rather value for money.

Unfortunately that's not true.

Their 9 speed is 1-1, but their 10 speed is what they call Exact Actuation (which they say is also 1-1 ???!?!?)

Unfortunately, it doesn't work (not that I've actually tried it)

http://www.sram.com/...exact-actuation

When we launched our road technology from scratch we reapplied our MTB proven SRAM 1:1 actuation ratio (shifter cable travel : derailleur movement) for 10 speed rear shifting. EA helps to simplify/stabilize the uneasy act of balancing rear derailleur hanger design, tight cog spacing and exact cable tension. The result: the easiest index shifting system to set up and it stays that way

ah some more insight, was thinking of XO DR and Force Shifters....shimano will work out cheaper

Just to confirm, I can use the following

Shimano 105 sti's 10spd with 9 spd XT rear DR and 10spd cluster and chain...should work if I have to trust all the reading I have done

how much is it for an edm frame with round tubing now or any

mmmmm they will be like hen's teeth since the tubeset is now hydroformed....if you see one in your size...buy there and then.

ah some more insight, was thinking of XO DR and Force Shifters....shimano will work out cheaper

Just to confirm, I can use the following

Shimano 105 sti's 10spd with 9 spd XT rear DR and 10spd cluster and chain...should work if I have to trust all the reading I have done

:thumbup: go for it