How to build a MonsterCross Bike 101

Eldron

Avid BB7 mechanicals. I have some concerns about reach versus clearance between disc&rotor but there is only one way to find out :-)

@Iron - I'll take photos and send them. His garage makes my bike room look like one of those sad dropie shops that sell wheelbarrows, paraffin and bicycles...

Are they the road version or the MTB/v-brake version?

• Replies 667
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Cool idea, this is something i also wanted to try. Will be interested to see if the road crank works out. I tried a road compact on my GT but didn't have enough chainring clearance.

Edited by javadude

Are they the road version or the MTB/v-brake version?

He already posted that they're the Avid BB7 mechanical discs.

Eldron: have you seen the new BB7 Road SL - titanium and stainless steel parts. Cool stuff.

He already posted that they're the Avid BB7 mechanical discs.

Eldron: have you seen the new BB7 Road SL - titanium and stainless steel parts. Cool stuff.

I got that they were discs!!!

I meant, BB7s designed to be used with road levers (caliper levers) or those designed to work with V-brake levers (linear pull)

Cool idea, this is something i also wanted to try. Will be interested to see if the road crank works out. I tried a road compact on my GT but didn't have enough chainring clearance.

Denied on the Shimano CX cranks! I took some measurements and thought I'd have enough clearance with a CX crank but between the Giant's flared rear triangle and the 36 tooth inner blade it just doesn't work. I need an extra 4mm!!!! Damnit. I guess it'll have to be an mtb 2x10. Pity - I was hoping to have more CX than MTB stuff on the bike but so be it.

@flowta - they're the linear pull mech calipers. I have some concerns about disc clearance versus lever range of movement... If that plan doesn't work out I'm gonna be a bit acid! I'm fairly confident though!

I tinkered a bit last night and here is the rolling chassis. The fork angle is really slack - it's because I'm waiting for the fork crown spacer to fit a straight fork into a tapered head tube.

I am liking the look though - those 42mm Conti CX tyres are like mini Race Kings - complete with reflective strip on the side. White walls my china!!

post-2412-0-37383900-1352356459_thumb.jpg

Denied on the Shimano CX cranks! I took some measurements and thought I'd have enough clearance with a CX crank but between the Giant's flared rear triangle and the 36 tooth inner blade it just doesn't work. I need an extra 4mm!!!! Damnit. I guess it'll have to be an mtb 2x10. Pity - I was hoping to have more CX than MTB stuff on the bike but so be it.

@flowta - they're the linear pull mech calipers. I have some concerns about disc clearance versus lever range of movement... If that plan doesn't work out I'm gonna be a bit acid! I'm fairly confident though!

I tinkered a bit last night and here is the rolling chassis. The fork angle is really slack - it's because I'm waiting for the fork crown spacer to fit a straight fork into a tapered head tube.

I am liking the look though - those 42mm Conti CX tyres are like mini Race Kings - complete with reflective strip on the side. White walls my china!!

If it doesn't work, try get some travel agents

http://problemsolversbike.com/products/travel_agents

Used them on my dads cyclocross to pull V-brake calipers on it.

I know you get inline ones for use with Mech Disc brakes.

Or use drop V-brake Levers for braking and Bar-end shifters for the gearing.

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=35189 (Tektro also make one)

If it doesn't work, try get some travel agents

http://problemsolversbike.com/products/travel_agents

Used them on my dads cyclocross to pull V-brake calipers on it.

I know you get inline ones for use with Mech Disc brakes.

Or use drop V-brake Levers for braking and Bar-end shifters for the gearing.

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=35189 (Tektro also make one)

Wicked! Thanks for the advice - I'll certainly keep it in mind.

Are those road rims on mtb hubs?

Looking good so far.

Very nice Bud.

Gents take note : this is what happens when you have every type of bicycle known to man already at home ..............you start making up your own .clap.gif

I got that they were discs!!!

I meant, BB7s designed to be used with road levers (caliper levers) or those designed to work with V-brake levers (linear pull)

OK dude, my bad :) forgive me, please

Are those road rims on mtb hubs?

Looking good so far.

They're Pro Lite Veletos - 29er mtb wheels. Super cheap - R1,350 ex VAT on CRC! Not too light at 2kg/set but good quality and great price...perfect for a road cruiser/cx/modders basher/commuter/do everything MonsterCross bike.

@stretched - alas I had to buy the fork but it was under R2,000 if memory serves...

@iron - you know I dig dig bikes! Planning them, building them, riding them, salivating over them - bikes rock. Plus - in the absence of children it's the only thing I've got ;-)

They're Pro Lite Veletos - 29er mtb wheels. Super cheap - R1,350 ex VAT on CRC! Not too light at 2kg/set but good quality and great price...perfect for a road cruiser/cx/modders basher/commuter/do everything MonsterCross bike.

@stretched - alas I had to buy the fork but it was under R2,000 if memory serves...

@iron - you know I dig dig bikes! Planning them, building them, riding them, salivating over them - bikes rock. Plus - in the absence of children it's the only thing I've got ;-)

Said it before and i will say it again , one day when im big i want to be like Eldron clap.gif

Said it before and i will say it again , one day when im big i want to be like Eldron clap.gif

Dude - the maid just bust me staring at the Monster leaned up against the wall.

She just shook her head, giggled and walked off...