How to build a MonsterCross Bike 101

Eldron

They're Pro Lite Veletos - 29er mtb wheels. Super cheap - R1,350 ex VAT on CRC! Not too light at 2kg/set but good quality and great price...perfect for a road cruiser/cx/modders basher/commuter/do everything MonsterCross bike.

@stretched - alas I had to buy the fork but it was under R2,000 if memory serves...

@iron - you know I dig dig bikes! Planning them, building them, riding them, salivating over them - bikes rock. Plus - in the absence of children it's the only thing I've got ;-)

Looking good so far thumbup1.gif

Regarding the highlighted bit, bikes are cheaper, but kids are better clap.gif

(Please don't take the above statement to heart. I wouldn't trade my kids for a bike. tongue.png)

• Replies 667
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Just some info, you dont need a 29er frame to run 29er wheels with cyclocross tires. I have 29er xt wheels on my 26" GT Avalanche and they fit perfectly. Obviously I cant fit mtb tires but it makes for an awesome commuter.

Dude - the maid just bust me staring at the Monster leaned up against the wall.

She just shook her head, giggled and walked off...

Bwhahaha

Looking good Eldron. Aren't MTB top tubes longer than road bikes? Have you put on a shorter stem than normal?

Bwhahaha

she probably thinks it looks stupid without a mandjie on the front.

Looking good Eldron. Aren't MTB top tubes longer than road bikes? Have you put on a shorter stem than normal?

Indeed! The Giant is shorter than my Niner but a bit longer than my road bike. I've gone 2cm shorter on the stem for 2 reasons - 1 - I want to be a bit more "on top" of the bike because it's a bit harder and - 2 - I already had a stam that was 2cm shorter he he he.

@java - quite right. If the Giant was a 26er I would have gone 29er on the wheels too.

Indeed! The Giant is shorter than my Niner but a bit longer than my road bike. I've gone 2cm shorter on the stem for 2 reasons - 1 - I want to be a bit more "on top" of the bike because it's a bit harder and - 2 - I already had a stam that was 2cm shorter he he he.

@java - quite right. If the Giant was a 26er I would have gone 29er on the wheels too.

Cool. i've been toying with a build like this myself. I sold my GT CX frame earlier this year because I want one with tabs for discs. I have a lekker old pair of Campagnolo Atlanta 96 32-spoke rims. If I build them onto MTB hubs, they would make a bullet-proof pair of CX wheels.

For the rocky one...

All thats missing is two barrel adjusters (neither the STIs or rear der have barrel adjusters on so I need to add my own) and a loooong rear brake cable (I want to run a full outer from the lever to the brake...

Some random thoughts:

Cable discs are really simple to set up! I was a bit worried about not having enough lever movement to actuate the brakes and have the rotor not rub but the front one was a piece if pees.

Giant has the best cable routing desgin. Period. The little magafters welded under the top tube that house the two gear cables and rear brake hose are super simple, very neat and far away from mud.

I have no idea what angles, heights and lever angles to use on a drop bar on a monster bike - gonna mess about with set up before I pop the handlebar tape on (it's gel of course!).

This thing is gonna be WAY harder than my steel niner with rigid fork.

It's a pity we have to ruin bikes with bottle cages - they look so much neater without them (nobody say camelback - I poke you in the eye!).

post-2412-0-89559300-1352718145_thumb.jpg

For the rocky one...

All thats missing is two barrel adjusters (neither the STIs or rear der have barrel adjusters on so I need to add my own) and a loooong rear brake cable (I want to run a full outer from the lever to the brake...

Some random thoughts:

Cable discs are really simple to set up! I was a bit worried about not having enough lever movement to actuate the brakes and have the rotor not rub but the front one was a piece if pees.

Giant has the best cable routing desgin. Period. The little magafters welded under the top tube that house the two gear cables and rear brake hose are super simple, very neat and far away from mud.

I have no idea what angles, heights and lever angles to use on a drop bar on a monster bike - gonna mess about with set up before I pop the handlebar tape on (it's gel of course!).

This thing is gonna be WAY harder than my steel niner with rigid fork.

It's a pity we have to ruin bikes with bottle cages - they look so much neater without them (nobody say camelback - I poke you in the eye!).

Really nice ... how long until you loose the gears whistling.gif

SWEET !!!

so you racing it on sunday i hope ?

I'm hoping!

@hairy - I already have a rigid steel Niner... This is a fun/commuter/wiggles my middle finger at convention bicycle... Plus - its has 42mm tyres and drop bars? How flippin hard do you think I am? Or how little do you think I respect my teeth :-)