Bad Attitude MTB ers

Vetseun

I love dirt, dust , the buzz of knobblies on gravel, the feeling of flight over a decent jump, the mix of adrenalin and fear when you try something out of your comfort zone, the terror when you try something WAAAY out of your comfort zone, drifting the back wheel without using brakes, laughing when you do something stupid and end up in the fynbos, chasing your mates down and being so close that your front tyre touches his back one in the air, basically mountain biking.

Amen to that. Just before the fynbos on Vasbyt was cleared (trimmed) I hopped one of those teeny little jumps and drifted a little left. Handlebar hugged a bush and STOPPED. I carried on...

Laughed my ass off when I came to a stop.

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Sorry Devide, but we are devided on this ..

So what you're saying is if it does not pay you to race, you should only be riding? I disagree. You can also race against yourself, your mates, or to better your previous year's time. Depending what your goals is, but I believe it is good to set goals in sport as nothing so rewarding as achieving a pre determined goal. That said, I am aso a keen proponent of some social and exploratory riding.

Hi Firemeister

Fair comment, apologies, I should qualify my statement further. Completely agree that personal goals and racing one's self are key parts of riding (mtb, road or otherwise). I was however making the point that those of us whose livelihood and career are not riding on their time and result can probably afford a few minutes to help someone out. By "just riding" I didn't mean exclusively fun/ exploratory/ coffee rides (which are awesome too). My bad, I wasn't clear.

Hi Firemeister

Fair comment, apologies, I should qualify my statement further. Completely agree that personal goals and racing one's self are key parts of riding (mtb, road or otherwise). I was however making the point that those of us whose livelihood and career are not riding on their time and result can probably afford a few minutes to help someone out. By "just riding" I didn't mean exclusively fun/ exploratory/ coffee rides (which are awesome too). My bad, I wasn't clear.

All good mate no harm done.

I ALWAYS TRY AND SHARE AND HOPEFULLY WHEN I NEED SOMETHING IT MIGHT WORK IN MY FAVOUR

iF YOU RACE YOU SHOULD HAVE YOUR STUFF EVEN IF YOU ARE A WEIGHT WEENIE, SO WITH ALL MY STUFF I MIGHT NEED A BOMB AFTER USING MY 2 AND MY SPARE TYRE

IN GENERAL YOU SHOULD BE FINE IF YOU HAVE ALL YOUR STUFF

cOME PREPARED AND YOU WOULDN'T NEED A CHAIN LINK ECT

MY WIFE RECENTLY DID THE RIGHT THING IN A RACE BY OUTSHOURN, THIS GUY HAD A FLAT, SHE GAVE HIM HER SPARE TUBE, BOMP AND A VERY NICE VALVE ( AND EXPENSIVE) ,

NEEDLESS TO SAY AFTER THE RACE THIS OKE WAS NOWHERE TO BE SEEN,

I ALWAYS TRY AND SHARE AND HOPEFULLY WHEN I NEED SOMETHING IT MIGHT WORK IN MY FAVOUR

iF YOU RACE YOU SHOULD HAVE YOUR STUFF EVEN IF YOU ARE A WEIGHT WEENIE, SO WITH ALL MY STUFF I MIGHT NEED A BOMB AFTER USING MY 2 AND MY SPARE TYRE

IN GENERAL YOU SHOULD BE FINE IF YOU HAVE ALL YOUR STUFF

cOME PREPARED AND YOU WOULDN'T NEED A CHAIN LINK ECT

MY WIFE RECENTLY DID THE RIGHT THING IN A RACE BY OUTSHOURN, THIS GUY HAD A FLAT, SHE GAVE HIM HER SPARE TUBE, BOMP AND A VERY NICE VALVE ( AND EXPENSIVE) ,

NEEDLESS TO SAY AFTER THE RACE THIS OKE WAS NOWHERE TO BE SEEN,

As far as I'm concerned MTB'ing became a juppy sport.

If you want to meet the "good guys" riding go to the DnD night rides or 24Hour races.

IMHO MTBers are the new roadies. If you want a nice bunch of guys who just enjoy riding their bike and being friendly nowadays, just ride on the road...

Tha't mostly because they don't like getting their nice shiney mtb's dirty.... so they ride on the road.. thus must be roadies...

I suspect some cyclists are not friendly because they don't know the code - something they learn when someone stops to help their unprepared selves. (road or mtb)

Still - the help I like most from cx riding roadies is the friendly push up the hill.... to keep the fat tired beast in touch with the road bunch - specially from you J.... :)

I try to greet everybody on a practice run, that just the way I was brought up by my parents. Think that is just good manners, if you don't greet me back you will not spoil my day I will still greet the next guy I see.

How can one not be friendly when you in the outdoors and not in the office working you butt off!!??thumbup1.gif

As I've said many times before - the guy in from of you is an asshole, the guy behind you is an asshole, the guy passing you is an asshole, the guy you pass is an asshole, the guy in the 26' is an asshole, the guy on the 29' is an asshole and soon the guy on the 650 will be an asshole. Build a bridge and carry your own spares over it.

For moral support, join a support group.

As I've said many times before - the guy in from of you is an asshole, the guy behind you is an asshole, the guy passing you is an asshole, the guy you pass is an asshole, the guy in the 26' is an asshole, the guy on the 29' is an asshole and soon the guy on the 650 will be an asshole. Build a bridge and carry your own spares over it.

For moral support, join a support group.

true...ride like they do in Ironman. stay 10m behind the one in front of you, 10m ahead of the one behind you. Someone earlier said how can you not be friendly when being outdoors? Answer, some people are miserable no matter where they are.

I was at this one event a while back in the east of Pretoria.... stood at the front of the field cause I was early. Parked there and watched everyone getting ready, getting in line. Just chilling there on my bike waiting for the start... lekker rustig, THEN these mountain bikers that you are probably referring to (or that I can relate to) came from the side of the starting line and made their way through to front of the field. FFS!! WHY!? There was such limited space to get through, so I said "where do you want to go?" Then this prick flipped and kakked me out huh.png

Such an inconvenience to everyone else who made the effort to be in line and on time to get their positions, but no, they have to make their way through everyone just to get to the front. Dit maak my die moer in!!! cursing.gif

I have seen these species at other Gauteng XC events as well. Not all XC mountain bikers are like that, I must say, but they seem to be trending in this scene, of which I am getting more gatvol lately.

I love my riding and respect others on the trail (or farm roads ph34r.png). Leave your attitude at home and rather start enjoying what you do and have some manners.

I am heading over to to the Enduro scene....

Sincerely hope that is not the only reason.