The Froome Dawg Thread

'Dale

Bwaaahhhh... totally forgot about this blog. Thanks for reminding me.

http://chrisfroomelo...tems.tumblr.com

HA ha that's funny, where do the guys find time to post all that?

Does anyone seriously know why he does that, is it just a built in reflex or a secret breathing technique?

Who remembers Paula Radcliff...Holder of the Womens Marathon world record none the less

She did exactly the same

• Replies 875
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Improve Breathing - Part II

By: Michele Ferrari

Published: 10 Nov 2013

What do Paula Radcliffe and Chris Froome have in common, in addition to being British?

Both adopt a special breathing technique, very similar to each other.

Looking Froome in action on the Mont Ventoux during the TdF 2013, one can't help but notice that the English cyclist rhythmically lowers his head, with a frequency that tends to increase along with the pace of the riding: every 5-7 seconds when the effort is moderate, every 2-4 seconds when he attacks, as he did 5-6 km from the finish line on the French mountain.

Some observers have attributed these movements of the head to the obsessive need of "robo-athlete" to check watts and heart rate from the SRM mounted on the handlebar.

I disagree: any lowering of the head by Froome corresponds to a forced expiration, implemented with a special technique.

Bowing the head facilitates the elevation of the diaphragm, further encouraging the complete emptying of the lungs: the anterior myofascial tension (from the jaw to the symphysis pubis), proper of the position in hyperextension of the head of the rider looking forward, is in fact reduced, thus facilitating the full expiration.

A complete elevation of the diaphragm reduces the intra-abdominal pressure, effectively promoting the venous and lymphatic return from the lower limbs, whose action, relieved from toxic elements, becomes "lighter".

The next deep breath, made ​​through the nose and mouth and with the head in hyperextension (looking forward for the cyclist, up slightly for the runner), in addition to oxygenate the air in the lungs, reduces the endothoracic pressure by increasing diastolic filling and cardiac output and therefore the amount of oxygen that gets to the muscles.

When the effort is moderate forced expiration-inspiration occurs every 3-4 breaths (as suggested by Obree), when the effort is high every 1-2 breaths (as done by Froome during his attack on the Ventoux).

I tried this technique on myself in the past few weeks: I noticed that lowering the head the full diaphragmatic expiration is easier, and if you ride at high RPM (like Froome... ), each exhalation is accompanied by a 15-20% increase in instantaneous watts (better venous return? Less myofascial tension?).

I believe that this breathing technique, adequately trained and associated with a strengthening of the respiratory muscles, may bring advantages over an "uncontrolled" breathing , so frequent even among top athletes.

Froome's distinct physique

He's looking formidable as he controls the GC at Dauphiné

http://www.pezcyclingnews.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/06/froome_arms.jpg

We saw Chris riding in the Cradle at Christmas and he was pretty thin then. But faaaast!

Wil ook so maer wees. Het iemand n idee hoe sy dieet lyk dit sal intressant wees om te weet?

We saw Chris riding in the Cradle at Christmas and he was pretty thin then. But faaaast!

Vrrrrrroem-Vroooooemmmmmmm!

Chris......thin? Really?

Shouldn't he be resting?

With all the clouds hanging over the guy, I felt for him after he got dropped.

Surely, all these things have to play a roll.

http://www.cyclingne...arello-dogma-f8

I have a question....he looks a little skinnier than that right now

Critical measurements

• Rider's height: 186cm (6’1”)

• Rider's weight: 69kg (152lb)

He's the same height as me and if 69kg's is to be believed 6 or 7 kilo's lighter (at the moment) and just yesterday my wiff said to me "your ribs are sticking out"

I wonder how far these guys will go to achieve that perfect power to weight ratio?

I'm concerned for Froome tbh, he seems to be able to take skinniness even further.... it cannot be healthy to be so skinny for so long... the body will break down eventually.

I recommend a regular dose of MnM's, I'm sure they would even sponsor him...