Ride a Cannondale - Risk your life

Think Bike

Imagine if you had a lefty... your ride would have come to an end in half that time :lol:

BAHAHAHHA!

Plastic bikes... Eish.

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I have sympathy with you but bashing the supplier, will not get you anywhere.

You should rather have mentioned your story and suggested that everybody with a similar fork, should have it checked out immediately for cracks or material failure.

As a matter of fact, Omnico or Cannondale should recall all similar forks for a checkup, similar to what Toyota etc had to do a while ago to show that in this instance rider safety, is crucial to them. Anything less would be seen as how much $$$ can they make out of riders, and not care about safety issues.

Perhaps somebody must design an airbag linked to your helmet and Camelbag, to improve rider safety hehe

Car manufacturers, well no manufacturers, will do a total recall based on one failure instance.

Just my opinion, but the 'crack' on both sides of that fork looks way too symmetrical to be a manufacturing fault. My guess is there may have been damage in packaging/ transit before the frame was built up?... Just a thought.

I don't own or ride Cannondales and even I know their back service is great. They seemed to take care of the OP as much as any other manufacturer would've - probably more so but replacing the fork so quickly.

Glad you are oaky dude , a friend of mine had a a total failure on his brand new Trek Superfly 100, this

happened 20 min into his first ride .The down tube delamanited and pulled out of the BB and BANG he was

on the floor .

I hope this is a once off incident .

I guess you can't trust mass production anymore ........thumbdown.gif

I have never quite trusted plastic bikes... but if someone is willing to donate a Santa Cruz Nomad Carbon, I am willing to work on those trust issues :lol:

Haha...yip

oops.gif ... glad you ok!!

Get rid of it and spend more time on the bike in the pic behind which has the red grips on it and the white fork, those are proper bikes ph34r.png

So they replaced the fork and they are still in the dog box? Also shouldn't you be going through the retail channel? You are talking about Omnico? if so, they have sorted me out a few times with come-backs / problems, via Johnson Cycles here in Jhb. And the agents before them, Cape Cycle Systems.

Plenty of other carbon framed brands snap at times - in accidents / pile-ups, generally when subjected to unanticipated stresses or forces.

In defence of 'dales: I have 5x of various types current, including a CAAD5 roadie with a carbon fork which I ride with complete confidence. Even done some bunny hopping pavements / potholes with the road bike lately, perhaps that's a skill you should acquire? It was obviously some major impact that made it snap like that.

And a quite a few before then (lost count). First 'Dale MTB was purchased in ... 1989 :o so you are striking deep here bro.

If want tech specs, take a look on the Cannondale website and/or ask around on various forums before dishing the dirt please.

And you Lefty haters, yes you! I challenge you to break one. If it fails, it's 99.9% due to lack of maintenance.

ps Plastic is not the same as carbon fibre. A plastic is a pot pourri of chemicals / molecules.

So they replaced the fork and they are still in the dog box? Also shouldn't you be going through the retail channel? You are talking about Omnico? if so, they have sorted me out a few times with come-backs / problems, via Johnson Cycles here in Jhb. And the agents before them, Cape Cycle Systems.

Plenty of other carbon framed brands snap at times - in accidents / pile-ups, generally when subjected to unanticipated stresses or forces.

In defence of 'dales: I have 5x of various types current, including a CAAD5 roadie with a carbon fork which I ride with complete confidence. Even done some bunny hopping pavements / potholes with the road bike lately, perhaps that's a skill you should acquire? It was obviously some major impact that made it snap like that.

And a quite a few before then (lost count). First 'Dale MTB was purchased in ... 1989 ohmy.png so you are striking deep here bro.

If want tech specs, take a look on the Cannondale website and/or ask around on various forums before dishing the dirt please.

And you Lefty haters, yes you! I challenge you to break one. If it fails, it's 99.9% due to lack of maintenance.

ps Plastic is not the same as carbon fibre. A plastic is a pot pourri of chemicals / molecules.

clap.gif clap.gif

I had a Cannondale Road Bike. Noticed a crack in the chain stay. LBS had to saw off the cracked section and send a pikcha to the supplier. I think to stop any chance of the frame being repaired and resold.

Two days later I received a new frame.

Service was absolutely superb.

Cant wait to buy a Cannondale MTB

I bet this has happened on many other branded carbon forks/frames.

So its a bit unfair to attack 'Dale as a brand and its quality.

oops.gif ... glad you ok!!

Get rid of it and spend more time on the bike in the pic behind which has the red grips on it and the white fork, those are proper bikes ph34r.png

At last. Some proper logic.

I ride a carbon Synapse and rode that CAAD5 before I sold it to Kosmonooit. Awesome bikes. If I could affordto ride a Scalpel, I would.

Bordelo's, Bianchi's, Vrek's also also fail ocassionally. Sorry to hear about your accident.

Out.

That kind of damage, faliure is not a manufacturing fault, more like a crack started from putting it on a trailer where the forks are held. commonly a carbon fork would fail where the dropouts are glued into the fork blades...there is more to this story than is being spoken about. having been in the industry and done carbon construction courses etc to gain an understanding of the material in question - this fork did not "just fail"....my 2c.

Been riding 'Dales for nearly 13 years. Not ONE ISSUE. Had a couple of cracks and Omnico replaced without questions.

Also.....go play with those broken plastic forks you have there......Carbon is an amazing material. Go put it in a vice. Twist and turn it as you like. It will keep it's form. The failure in your pic is very rare. I have only seen it (First hand experience going over a dog) in crashes where a fork snaps off like that.

It would be very interesting to hear from the MANUFACTURER what went wrong here and what their theories are....

Also bashing the Cannondale brand on a forum like this even after recieving a new fork gratis is not fair or called for, I am sorry for the personal injuries sustained, however - S**T happens, I have seen broken bikes in ALL brands so its not just Cannondale....