Ban cyclists on busy roads?

capeofstorms

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

There is quite a few interesting opinions in the comments. This pierre de villiers dude is an @ss... They can shove their school of thought that only motorists have right to rule the road, as I mentioned, I paid taxes, supported local shops etc. What has he done?

post-11010-0-64692100-1357888065_thumb.png

post-11010-0-40303300-1357888073_thumb.png

Hahaha Pierre's comment right at the bottom was funny though

99% of my non cycling friends have the same opinion

if there were safe alternate cycle/pedestrian paths along each and every busy road then there would be no problem. its time the municipalites started taking their town planning seriously and spend money where it is needed

if there were safe alternate cycle/pedestrian paths along each and every busy road then there would be no problem. its time the municipalites started taking their town planning seriously and spend money where it is needed

Yebo.

I'm with you on that.

I read a comment somewhere (also to one of these types of articles) that cyclists are all on drugs and ride expensive bikes so they go much faster than you expect and are thus more dangerous. Got to laugh at the logic of some of these lemmings.

Might as well ban vehicles as well seeing how they are also a menace/danger to us all no matter what we drive or ride!

Lets just all walk to work!

Its not a Town Planning issue its a transport planning issue, Council needs to adopt the approach that whenever they upgrade a section of road they simply add a cycle lane, it is a cost issue of course, roads are damn expensive. But it should go into the budget each time a road upgrade is proposed. New roads, should as a matter of course have a 1 m cycle lane on each side.

So narrow minded, even from cyclists themselves. Cycling and the bicycle itself is more than training and recreation, it's a means of transport for many as well.

Don't see cycle lanes and new laws as the answer but rather proper law enforcement and change in attitude from road users in general. Without that, new laws and cycle lanes are largely irrelevant.

Edited by danger dassie

MY safest place to train is the N1. living in hexriver valley you have to get onto the N1 to get out of here but even in the valley it is still the safest option.

A total analysis of the article would be labourious, boring and effectively show that the amount of logical flaws, broad generalisations and total disregard for reality makes the text irrelevant. This said, it is a important artifact of the mythology that is held to be true by motorists.

It always facinates me that these motorists are so concerned about our cyclists safety. So much so that the project the solution to "our" problem, away from any libility or action from their part, onto the cyclists sholders exclusively. You cyclists would be probably safer if you were not allowed on busy roads. You cyclist would be safer on the pavements, You cyclists should obey the rules of the road. This sublimation of problem and solution absolves the motorist of any responsiblity towards the cyclist as a road user. Effectively removing them from that catergory of citizen totally. This thereby allows the motorist to colonise the entire tar estate of the country and confidently claim that cyclists are out of place objects, obstacles and hinderances to the smooth running of society. Something that should be removed, flattened.

If the motorist were honest in their concern for "us cyclists" they would change their behaviour and treat the flimsy 6.9kg peice of carbon the same way the treat a 10tonne truck, with respect. Then when the cyclist "misbehaves" the motorist will be defensive in action and not aggressive in Rhetoric. But as they are protected by a cage of steel and a prison of prejudices, their words and actions are no more than a comfort blanket, to exorise their guilt every time they encounter a cyclist.

Edited by Witkop

I would hope the thing keeping recreational cyclists off busy roads would be LOGIC.

Commuter cyclists different story but man oh man am I tired of hearing cyclists saying things like "it's my right to ride there". Sure it's your right but 1500kg of steel beats 10kg of alu everytime.

I realise there are limitations in training time, roads available and infrastructure but safety trumps fitness everytime for me.

pierre.devilliers.9231 - whatachop!!! thumbdown.gif

"as they have formed strong special interest groups" make it sound like we are some sort of cult?

I wonder if this guy does any form of exercise? a pedestrian can be just as difficult to spot.

Us as cyclists obviously try keep to the safest side of a lane, but this chop obviously forgets that motorcyclists are also a danger to motor vehicles and cyclists.

This in IMO sums up the author of that article ' the only way he/ she could possibly have been conceived was through @N@£ $€% as that is the only explanation for someone being such an @$$H#L€. Sad tbing is some non cyclists will believe that crap.

Edited by Cippo

I was fortunate enough to spend December in PErth, guess what, there are cycle lanes on the FREE WAY! The speed limit is 80km/h and NO ONE breaks the law! I must add the Cyclists there are very well mannered and obey ALL the rules! I still maintain that if there are laws, they need to enforce them properly.

You see, in First World countries (Except our friends that chop off your winkie if you raped someone...), crime is less because YOU KNOW WHAT THE CONSEQUENSES WILL BE!

If I drive to Cape town from my West Coast town where I live I can do 200km/h (I would never do that) and get to Cape Town probably without being caught, because there is NO LAW ENFORCEMENT. - I can get away with it...

The second thing that could happen is I get stopped by a traffic cop and I could get away by paying a bribe, so still I did not learn anything but that I can get away with it...

Thirdly;

I can be caught by a camera and stand a chance to not receive it in the mail - If I do receive it I will probably not pay it and no one will ever follow up.

Fourth;

We have a points system whihc does not exist... Because it is not enforced...

I would have one suggestion , a simple one, put cyclist boards up on all and most open and busy roads stating the 1.5m "rule" an least it will be seen...