Chinese Carbon Thread

Meezo

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

And moer expensive!!!!!!!!

The Rand/Dollar not helping. Ordered some wheels from Light Bicycle... 45mm rims on DT350 hubs - R12k for a set delivered in China! and extra USD 120 for delivery to jhb and that's still excluding and charges at the airport when I collect them and bring them in later this month...

To my knowledge those brands you mentioned are all Chinese imports. There are now local guys making carbon hoops that look very nice. I forget their name.

Yeah I think with darkhorse(possibly the others as well?) they bring everything in from China and then assemble them here. A few years back at the Argus expo at the darkhorse stand the one dude told me that. So I'm not sure it's still the same.

The Rand/Dollar not helping. Ordered some wheels from Light Bicycle... 45mm rims on DT350 hubs - R12k for a set delivered in China! and extra USD 120 for delivery to jhb and that's still excluding and charges at the airport when I collect them and bring them in later this month...

You should have looked at the rims I was selling built onto Chris King R45 hubs. Not only the best hubs but you would also have save a bit of cash...

12000.00 Wheels

1845.00 USD dellivery

12845.00 x 15% Rough tax calc

= 12845.00 + 1926.75

= 14771.75 Final rough price

So can one assume the wheels will come in at just under 15k for the wheelset?

12000.00 Wheels

1845.00 USD dellivery

12845.00 x 15% Rough tax calc

= 12845.00 + 1926.75

= 14771.75 Final rough price

So can one assume the wheels will come in at just under 15k for the wheelset?

Yup.

Basically it was 669Dolla for the wheelset. plus 30 for shipping to my hotel in China, or 150 to JHB, plus paypal fee of 4%. 

I'm hoping that the guys at ORT don't see my big box when I fly in!

Yup.

Basically it was 669Dolla for the wheelset. plus 30 for shipping to my hotel in China, or 150 to JHB, plus paypal fee of 4%. 

Take the invoice with you and a set of used tires and tubes with you..... - otherwise you will have issues bringing it back - they don't generally put an invoice in the box.

Yup.

The Chinese usually give you a completely different invoice for customs  :whistling:  I shipped a frame in 2 years ago and the invoice on the box was USD100, whereas what i paid for the frame was considerably more  :ph34r: Duties were negligible when i collected the package 

Take the invoice with you and a set of used tires and tubes with you..... - otherwise you will have issues bringing it back - they don't generally put an invoice in the box.

Used tyres and tubes would be a great idea! dammit though I don't have access to those before I go :( also it's 3 wheels and a rim... the rim might look suspicious with a used tyre on it. I'll ask them to date the invoice for last year some time....

Used tyres and tubes would be a great idea! dammit though I don't have access to those before I go :( also it's 3 wheels and a rim... the rim might look suspicious with a used tyre on it. I'll ask them to date the invoice for last year some time....

I wouldn't take a chance screwing SARS around, they're flippen efficient nowadays, and don't like it when they see a potential revenue stream being eroded. Just my 2c worth..... 

I wouldn't take a chance screwing SARS around, they're flippen efficient nowadays, and don't like it when they see a potential revenue stream being eroded. Just my 2c worth..... 

Yeah, SARS is doing a good job of collecting money.... I hear you

my issue is that a) that money goes to Nkandla and b) JZ is the reason the wheels are so (much more) expensive in the first place!

Not trying to derail this into a political debate.

• 1 month later...

Hi Guys.

Looking for 60mm UD rims. must be 32hole for both. I want to build them onto my powertap hubs.

Any idea where to start looking?

Kind Regards

Francois

• 1 month later...